“Very Nice Hotel, Nice Rooms, Great Staff, Quick access from I-10”

Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
Ranked #30 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Amarillo, Texas
“Very Nice Hotel, Nice Rooms, Great Staff, Quick access from I-10”
Reviewed 21 May 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel for a conference/week long meeting. I've stayed here before and I was glad to hear that we would be staying at the same hotel once again. The staff is almost over-friendly and very helpful. The rooms are large, spacious and the service staff keeps them very clean.

The settings for the meetings and the hotel catering was very nice as well. All of the food the hotel provided was quite a change from the normal fare you might find somewhere else. Eating at the hotel was like going to a high-end restaurant; filling and very enjoyable.

I did not visit the water park or the golf course, but several colleagues did and only had good things to say about them.

When I come to Arizona for personal travel with my family, we will most definitely be staying at this hotel.

One caveat is that the internet access seems quite expensive (though my company paid for it) and at times, it was a little slow.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
resortgry, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 May 2011
We’re so glad you and your colleagues had a nice time at the Resort – thank you for your review! Please do come back with your family soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Washington State
Reviewed 13 May 2011

Was unfamiliar with this property having previously attended events at many other local resorts in the Phoenix area. Some of the iffy reviews made me a bit apprehensive but my experience was a pleasant surprise. While the rooms are a bit dated in terms of appointments (such as the smaller TVs) they are large, comfortable, clean, and quiet with good quality linen and pillows. I had a nice garden view from my room in the Camelback Suites building, and enjoyed being able to open windows without much ground noise.
The meeting rooms and meeting catering were above average even with several concurrent events. During our session we needed some A/V support which was immediately provided. Evening dinner service was well prepared and efficient. The onsite cafe and restaurant, while not inexpensive, were also tried and enjoyed.
The resort seems to be well situated for business conferences where execs might want to bring their families. However, I can see why folks expecting an Orlando-type kid-friendly vacation might want to look at other options.
If I had to book a meeting venue in the area, would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
resortgry, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 May 2011
Thanks so much for your thoughtful review. We’re glad you were able to join us for business and hope to have you back for pleasure sometime soon!
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 12 May 2011

W stayed here because a family weddign took place here. The service was spectacular, the water park was great fun for the kids, and all in all, it was a fantastic experience. I only had two complaints; the televisions inthe rooms need updating . . . I was pressed for something to do while my son was taking his nap . . . and the cribs/pack and plays are nothing I would have put my child in. My husband and I ended up bringing him into the bed with us (don't worry, he is old enough)

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback and we’re glad to hear the wedding was such a fun time! We’ve passed along your compliments to the staff and hope to see your family again soon!
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 May 2011

I stayed at the Arizona Grand with a large group of my extended family for a wedding and we were all very happy with the time we spent at the resort. The resort staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. We were greeted the second we arrived and felt very welcome. Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel for families and adults (as long as you don't mind having children around).

Rooms - spacious and comfortable. The TVs are old, but as I don't go on vacation to watch TV, this did not concern me.

Waterpark - fun! The staff was great and there was plenty of room to find places in the shade. We had fun going down the waterslides and in the lazy river.

Food - the food at the hotel was excellent and relatively reasonable price wise. The alcohol was expensive compared to midwest prices.

Wedding - The staff made the wedding an absolutely wonderful occassion! I was completely impressed with their attention to detail and the wonderful food. The bride and groom seemed extremely happy and as a guest, I thought things couldn't have gone better.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel. I found it elegant without being stuffy and an absolute pleasure to visit.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
resortgry, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 May 2011
Thank you so much for your kind review! We’re glad your family, friends and the bride & groom all had an exceptional experience and we’ve passed along your kind words to our staff. Hope to see you again!
Temecula, California
Reviewed 10 May 2011

we had a great time as a family at AZ Grand. We were a little nervous about having our kids there who are only 4 and 2, but there were tons of young families the weekend we were there. so we fit right in, i don't know if you would like to eat breakfast amid all the babies and young kids if you didn't have any but we felt right at home. room was spacious, t.v. was pathetic.we spent the day at the waterpark at the kids pool because our kids aren't tall enough for the slides which looked pretty sweet. overall it was a lot of fun and we'd do it again without the water park pass since we could've used one of the other pools for free and do what we did ...sit there while our kids swim.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
We’re glad your family had a good time at the Resort and we appreciate your review and feedback. We hope to see you again this summer!
Clayton, California
Reviewed 10 May 2011

The water park is the center piece of this resort and it is a fantastic facility, ideal for families of all ages. The hygeine and level of service is good, and the food and drink is reasonably priced too. We ate at Aunt Enchiladas and Rustlers Rooste, both of which served great food at very reasonable prices and we would highly recommend.

The lobby grill which served breakfast isn't as good as the other restaurants and is way over priced.

We booked through a Living Social deal which was great value at $169 per night incl breakfast and $50 spa credit.

• Stayed May 2011
Thank you for your review and feedback on the dining at the resort. We’re glad you enjoyed Oasis Water Park and we hope to see you again soon!
Orange County, California
Reviewed 29 April 2011

I bought a 2-day trip to the Arizona Grand Resort as a Living Social Escape. From their website I knew that children had to be at least 48" tall to ride the waterslides. I specifically measured my son, and he was 48.75" tall. I was not going to buy the Escape if my son could not ride the waterslides (he loves them). That was my whole reason for purchasing the getaway. When we got to the waterpark, he was much shorter than any of the signs. (I would say the signs are at 50".) Needless to say, he was very disappointed, and so were we.

When we checked out, I mentioned this and was told that next time I should go to the lifeguard office inside the waterproof, and there they have "an accurate measure" that I could use - and they would initial his wristband. All signs in the park should be accurate! Of course, we were checking out and could not try it out, so he never did get to use the waterpark. I sent management an email the next day, but I have still not heard back. We were very disappointed as the waterslides were our main reason for visiting the resort, and disappointed that I haven't heard anything back from them.

The waterpark was fine. It only has 3 waterslides (with a 48" minimum height), a lazy river, and a wave pool (not big waves). I think there was a baby pool too. It was crowded, but we were there Easter weekend. We ended up on very slanted grass. I ordered food at the main bar, and the food came very quickly both times.

As for the resort itself, it's nice, but not 5 stars. The rooms were clean. The TVs are pretty old. Not that I care, but they are pretty grainy. I couldn't find a channel listing anywhere in the room. And in case you are looking for the remote control, it is the game controller that is hooked to the back of the TV (although I couldn't figure out how to do the volume on it.) You are supposed to get a newspaper every day as part of the daily resort fee, but we did not receive one at all. You were supposed to get coffee, and there were some packages in the room when we checked in, but no coffee maker, so we could not make any. Our Escape included breakfast in their restaurant. They have a very nice breakfast buffet that we were happy with. (For those with the Escape, they credit you $26 per day for 2 breakfasts. You can choose whatever food you'd like.)

We visited Rustler's Rooste for dinner one night. I had made reservations through the resort before we arrived, and the confirmation email did say "because of the size of your party, you will be given priority seating, to be seated before any walk-in guests." And that is what happened. We didn't wait long though. That place was very crowded and we were there at 6:00! Live music and a beautiful sunset and view. The food was fine, but not extraordinary. The kids will love it. The live music, there's a big slide they can slide on in the restaurant, and a live long horn bull outside the restaurant. Plus, they get a fuzzy pink special dessert.

Our room was in Mountainside and you did have a little walk to the waterpark, but that was fine - we didn't mind. We also had an older room, not the ones pictured on the website. But it was fine. I wouldn't recommend trying to walk to Rustler's Rooste. It's quite a hike. And if you decide to drive, you need to drive through the resort to get to it. Do not leave the resort to try and get to it.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family