“Fun in the Phoenix Sun” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Long Valley, NJ
“Fun in the Phoenix Sun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2008

This huge and really nice resort is located just south of Downtown Phoenix, off I10 at the Baseline Road exit. With its large on site waterpark, it’s obvious that the place is a big draw for families with kids. It’s also a business friendly place with lots of conference facilities, etc. To management’s credit, this is one place that does an excellent job of balancing the somewhat disparate needs of families with kids with those of visitors seeking grown-up style comfort, relaxation and elegance.

WHAT WAS GOOD: The Oasis waterpark was absolutely awesome. It was clean, well staffed, well managed and a ton of fun for our whole family....Rooms in the Camelback Suites building were newly renovated, nicely decorated and very comfortable....The pool areas inside the courtyard were beautifully decorated, meticulously maintained and very comfortable. The grounds throughout the resort, in fact, were beautifully landscaped and nicely maintained, with many elegant touches like fountains, lush desert southwestern style plantings, etc....The staff seemed genuinely friendly and was very helpful....We were able to secure an early check-in time, which was particularly important since our stay was limited to just one night, and we wanted our school age boys to get the most out of the waterpark.

WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER: We had a slight glitch with the check-in process. Although one of the two rooms we reserved was available for early check-in, the second room didn’t become available until nearly dinner time. Though this didn’t spoil our afternoon or alter our plans, it was hard to fathom how the staff could’ve dropped the ball so badly on this one....Service at the Phantom Horse Grill was friendly but very slow....I had some strange happenings with the resort’s online reservations system: first it took several days to receive a confirmation, prompting a phone call on my part; then I received a bizarre e-mail following our stay stating that my room cancellation request had been successfully processed (no harm, just plain weird).

THINGS TO KNOW: This is a huge and sprawling resort that has over 600 rooms and covers a great deal of space. Expect to do some serious walking or even take the car in some cases to reach certain parts of the property....The location is very convenient – we booked this place, in part, due to its proximity to the airport. Don’t worry about airport noise, however - despite that proximity, you’d never know you’re just ten minutes away by car....As other reviewers have mentioned there are a ton of kids here so expect plenty of company from the Nickelodeon set....When the waterpark shuts down (6:00 pm during our stay; later during the summer months), the otherwise quiet pool areas get barraged, at least temporarily....Pools are open until something like midnight, taking advantage of Phoenix’ alluring evening temperatures. Though noise was never an issue during our stay, I could see where a loud gathering around the pool could be an annoyance, especially for rooms on the lower levels....There was a ton of construction going on during our stay due to the addition of several new villas. It wasn’t disruptive in any way, just kind of unsightly at times.

BOTTOM LINE: This is a great place to spend a day or two, especially if waterslides, lazy tubing rivers and wave pools are your thing. Its proximity to the airport makes it an excellent starting or finishing point for any trip to Arizona passing through Sky Harbor. Not surprisingly, my kids labeled it the greatest hotel stay ever, causing me to look the other way at any minor shortcomings. Pure and simple – grown-up enough and lots of fun for all.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank WRC6

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (677)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Tucson, AZ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2008

I stayed at the resort from April 25th-27th. First, the good...

The room was very clean and had all the items you would want.

The actual mattress...extremely comfortable!!!

Aunt Chilada's Mexican Restaurant....Muy Bueno! Everything we had there was great and our waiter, Thomas, was fantastic.

The Oasis Water Park is clean, well staffed and a fun way to spend the day. There are flags on the back of the lounge chairs that when you want something to drink or eat...you just raise the flag and they'll come running. They were very quick to arrive and very polite. Bring some $$$ though, It can get pricey quick. Think movie concession prices.

Caring and helpful staff. I had several complaints, and they addressed them the best they could and were always professional and sympathetic.

Now the bad...(in my opinion)

There are a lot of kids at this resort. A lot. Noise is a HUGE factor.

This may sound weird...but they have the worlds most crunchiest sheets I've ever felt. It was like sleeping under a newspaper. Thank goodness, the bed itself was so comfortable. the pillows are down and they look so nice and fluffy on the bed, but after a minute, its like wearing feather ear-muffs, with the feathers disbursed to each side of your head and your neck on a pancake thin layer of feathers. If you can...bring your pillow from home.

The Phantom Horse breakfast buffet...runny eggs and barely cooked sausage...however, in fairness, you can order alacart off the menu and the people who I saw did that, their food looked pretty good. The restuarant has nice atmosphere and great views. The patio would be a great place to eat at sunset.

Did i mention how many kids there are at his resort? How they like to run up and down the corridors? Oh, i did? Ok...sorry.

Needless to say, my initial stay at the resort was anything but peaceful and restful. It would be nice if the resort had at least one of their buildings designated as "adults only" for those who are looking for a more relaxed atmosphere.

I contacted the General Manager, Paul Gray after my stay to discuss my disappointing weekend at the Grand. He not only listened to my concerns and disappointments. He was very quick to offer a solution and sincerely sounded like he wanted to make right anything that didn't go right the first time. I think that type of personal customer service is rare and because of his follow-up, I'd even give the Grand another chance to impress. Anyone who cares enough to follow-up and try to make things better, is probably someone who cares that you were there in the first place!

So, my first stay...not so good, but I'm encouraged, the next time will be better. I'll keep you posted. :O)

KW

• Liked — comfortable bed, great toiletries, good food at Aunt Chilada's
  • Disliked — the noise...you could hear everything it seemed from adjoining rooms or outside
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kwesson
Valley Cottage, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2008

I'm sorry the last reviewer had a horrible time, but my experience was the complete opposite.

We picked the A.G.R. because of the great price ($159 a night) and the waterpark. My husband and I wanted someplace that would keep our 6 year old busy. The waterpark was very clean, the staff extremely friendly and the food & drink were reasonably priced. My only complaint about the waterpark is the waterslides were only for people 48" and taller. While my daughter is a good swimmer, she wasn't tall enough to use the slide and was upset about that. It would've been nice if they had a slide that catered to the smaller children and maybe a playground on the grounds.

We stayed in the Camelback building and the suite was completely renovated. There were two heated pools in the courtyard of the Camelback along with a ping pong table. My only complaint about the room is the bathroom was very, very small. It was difficult to close the door unless you were practically standing in the tub and I'm average sized. I can only imagine what a large person has to do. The grounds were beautiful and well tended with flowers, trees, fireplaces and fountains.

My daughter and I went to the spa where I had a massage and she had the Pretty Princess package; manicure, pedicure and hairstyling. The staff was professional, courteous and made us feel very comfortable.

We had dinner at Rustler's Roost and Aunt Chilada's. Both were good, not spectacular but I didn't expect either of them to be a Michelin rated.

I would highly recommend this extremely family friendly resort to just about everyone. However, if you choose this hotel, ask for either the Camelback or Sedona buildings because the Mountainview building isn't going to start being renovated until August.

• Liked — The waterpark, the very family atmosphere and the rooms are all suites
  • Disliked — Very small bathroom
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Member008
Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2008

I stayed at this hotel about 3 weeks ago and it was the worst time I have ever had at a hotel before. I had stayed here about 1 and a half years ago and it was the best time my family had ever had. Coming back to this hotel was a disappointment because the staff is very unfriendly and the hotel grounds look horrible. The restaurants on property were absolutely disgusting. I cant believe they call Latitude 30 their fine dining restaurant. It was dead when we walked in there and the food tasted like it was old. the only part of the hotel that was decent was the waterpark and the bar staff there was so friendly. I believe it was Brian and Sam who were our bar staff for the weekend and they were wonderful and made my stay better. I will never come back to this hotel and I hope others never come to this hotel.

• Liked — Nothing at all!!! Motel 6 was better!
  • Disliked — Everything! If it wasnt for the bar i would have gone crazy!
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends