“Anything but Grand”

Ranked #33 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Tucson
“Anything but Grand”
Reviewed 19 June 2008

We came up from Tucson with the two kids to play at the water park, which is the only thing this place has going for it.

You are definitely just another tourist in this place and there is very little feeling that you are in a resort. We picked this one because we heard they had a great water park, but I have no desire to return. The water park just isn't that great.

On top of that, this is one of those places where you think you are getting a great deal until you actually get here and find out they nickel and dime you for everything and it is all 3 times as expensive as it ought to be. Drinks at the pool are $8. I got the bill today and found I have a $25 "resort fee" which I never knew I would be paying. This on top of the $20 "upgrade" they convinced us we must have when we checked in. This was so we could have the new furnishings and wireless. Apparently we would have been in a real dump without the upgrade, next to the freeway and FAR from the water park with old furnishings and no internet.

Add to this the fact that the whole place is under construction and you wake up to jack hammers every morning. The staff act as if you are in their way. I shared a guest, not service, elevator with a cart full of what smelled like rotting brocolli yesterday morning at 7:30am. That killed my breakfast appetite.

Next time I'll book a hotel near a real water park and skip the attitude.

• Liked — Water Slides
  • Disliked — Nickel and Dimed, attitude, construction, no parking, crappy tvs, no microwave, no fridge except minibar full of junk, JackHammer wake up call
2 Thank Mr_Mellow_Man

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Denver
Reviewed 15 June 2008

My wife's job held a conference at this resort for 3 days. Even though the suite we stayed in was paid for, I thought this was just another average 'overpriced' hotel.
There was a ton of construction noise right outside of our balcony which started at 6am. We didn't even want the curtains open, because of the view we had, and the workers had! I thought about having them switch our room, but it was no money out of my pocket, so it didn't bother me so much.
It's too bad there is no "all-inclusive" option at American hotels like this. Everything is so rediculously overpriced! Bottle of water $3, Bottle of Pepsi $3.50, Sun Block $15, 2 Eggs & Sausage $25!
The room itself was nice, but not worth the $150/night people are paying for. The bed... very comfortable... but the same bed is available somewhere else for $70/night.
Bottom line, if you don't care and have money to just burn on the every day average, you might like this place. I think a rich golfing vacationer might enjoy this place, and a rich family with any age kids who loves the water. I'm not rich, so I won't return to this place if I'm paying for it!

• Liked — I didn't pay for it, my wife's job did.
  • Disliked — Construction, overpriced everything
1 Thank onewiseguy
Nashville, TN
Reviewed 12 June 2008

Stayed here for a few days after our trip to the Grand Canyon. It was a great place to finish out the trip. We had a nice suite facing the Oasis pool area. It's a big place, but easy to get around. Bell hops are glad to take you by golf cart to any of the places you don't want to walk, e.g., Spa or restaurants.
Oasis pool area was really nice - not crowded at all when we were there mid-week. Water park closes at 8pm, but two other regular pools/hot tubs stay open until midnight. Phanton Horse Grille was nice place to eat, and kids had a great time at Rustlers Rooste, a western-themed restaurant just up the hill.

Phoenix
Reviewed 8 June 2008

I got this hotel as a special Summer rate of $139 per night (plus a $25 resort fee per day)
First of all this is a great resort to stay at if you have kids who like water parks. My 15 year old had a blast here. Once he saw the water park I didn't hardly see him for the rest of the stay.
I stayed in the newly remodeled Camelback Suites. I have stayed in 4* hotels before and whereas this suite was nice, there were parts to it that I didn't find 4*.
First of all why a newly remodeled suite would have a 25" outdated tube tv is beyond me.
The couch was a bit uncomfortable to watch tv in the evenings. It was ok to sit there for an hour but anything beyond an hour was uncomfortable.
The other thing was the size of the bathroom. It is tiny. My powder room at home is probably bigger than this bathroom.
I had read about people complaining about the noise. Actually once in our suite, we didn't hear a thing. Our suite was so convenient to the water park we couldn't have had a better location.
The hotel staff were very friendly and responsive to our needs.
The best part of the whole stay and definitely worth the stay was the water park. Being able to relax poolside with a few drinks and know your kid is having a blast made this weekend getaway great. We will definitely be going back despite the negative things I listed. The things listed didn't make me not want to be there or make me not go back. They were just things that a 4* hotel would have.

• Liked — open and spacious rooms
  • Disliked — outdated small tube televisions
1 Thank Nora_AZ
Long Valley, NJ
Reviewed 16 May 2008

This huge and really nice resort is located just south of Downtown Phoenix, off I10 at the Baseline Road exit. With its large on site waterpark, it’s obvious that the place is a big draw for families with kids. It’s also a business friendly place with lots of conference facilities, etc. To management’s credit, this is one place that does an excellent job of balancing the somewhat disparate needs of families with kids with those of visitors seeking grown-up style comfort, relaxation and elegance.

WHAT WAS GOOD: The Oasis waterpark was absolutely awesome. It was clean, well staffed, well managed and a ton of fun for our whole family....Rooms in the Camelback Suites building were newly renovated, nicely decorated and very comfortable....The pool areas inside the courtyard were beautifully decorated, meticulously maintained and very comfortable. The grounds throughout the resort, in fact, were beautifully landscaped and nicely maintained, with many elegant touches like fountains, lush desert southwestern style plantings, etc....The staff seemed genuinely friendly and was very helpful....We were able to secure an early check-in time, which was particularly important since our stay was limited to just one night, and we wanted our school age boys to get the most out of the waterpark.

WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER: We had a slight glitch with the check-in process. Although one of the two rooms we reserved was available for early check-in, the second room didn’t become available until nearly dinner time. Though this didn’t spoil our afternoon or alter our plans, it was hard to fathom how the staff could’ve dropped the ball so badly on this one....Service at the Phantom Horse Grill was friendly but very slow....I had some strange happenings with the resort’s online reservations system: first it took several days to receive a confirmation, prompting a phone call on my part; then I received a bizarre e-mail following our stay stating that my room cancellation request had been successfully processed (no harm, just plain weird).

THINGS TO KNOW: This is a huge and sprawling resort that has over 600 rooms and covers a great deal of space. Expect to do some serious walking or even take the car in some cases to reach certain parts of the property....The location is very convenient – we booked this place, in part, due to its proximity to the airport. Don’t worry about airport noise, however - despite that proximity, you’d never know you’re just ten minutes away by car....As other reviewers have mentioned there are a ton of kids here so expect plenty of company from the Nickelodeon set....When the waterpark shuts down (6:00 pm during our stay; later during the summer months), the otherwise quiet pool areas get barraged, at least temporarily....Pools are open until something like midnight, taking advantage of Phoenix’ alluring evening temperatures. Though noise was never an issue during our stay, I could see where a loud gathering around the pool could be an annoyance, especially for rooms on the lower levels....There was a ton of construction going on during our stay due to the addition of several new villas. It wasn’t disruptive in any way, just kind of unsightly at times.

BOTTOM LINE: This is a great place to spend a day or two, especially if waterslides, lazy tubing rivers and wave pools are your thing. Its proximity to the airport makes it an excellent starting or finishing point for any trip to Arizona passing through Sky Harbor. Not surprisingly, my kids labeled it the greatest hotel stay ever, causing me to look the other way at any minor shortcomings. Pure and simple – grown-up enough and lots of fun for all.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled with family