“Pricey but worth the money”

Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
Ranked #32 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Calgary, Canada
“Pricey but worth the money”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We just returned from a 5 day stay at the Arizona Grand Resort; it was my husband, myself and two children (ages 6 and 9). We stayed at the resort April 13 - 17.

We stayed in the Sedona Suites which are right next to the waterpark (very convenient) and had a suite with 2 queen beds and a pull out couch in the living room. The rooms were a bit dated and the living room part of the suite was a bit small, bit overall it was nice. My only small issue is that I wish there was a microwave so you could heat up items if you needed to. It wasn't a deal breaker, but it would have been nice. The other awkward thing is that the washroom is in the room with 2 queen beds so if you put children to sleep in there and then have to use the washroom, you have to go into their room and it isn't quiet. Again though, not a huge issue just something that would be nice to change. They do have a large minibar which you could empty and then use to fill up with your own snacks and water which was convenient.

Here are my thoughts on the rest of the hotel:

Waterparks and pools
You pay a $40 resort fee which gets you 4 wristbands into the waterpark and free internet. The waterpark is great with a wave pool, a lazy river and three water slides. The only downside of the water slides is that you must be 48" to slide down them so my daughter - who is 6 and could easily do the smaller one- couldn't ride them which was super disappointing. The lazy river is great with lots of single tubes available. They also had a ton of life guards around which was good to see. There are 6 pools throughout the resort so if you don't want to go into the waterpark, you can go to one of those which tend to be very quiet.

There were lots of chairs throughout the park although it drives me crazy when people grab towels, throw them on chairs and then never come back. Because you can just grab as many towels as you want, people don't seem to pick up after themselves which means that you don't know if the chair is empty or people are just in the pool. It wasn't a huge deal if you don't care if you are in the shade or not, but with two children, it would have been nice to have some shade if others weren't using the chairs. The first four days we had no problem but obviously people are coming down for Easter weekend and our last day, we had trouble finding spots by the wave pool. Again though, if you are ok with being near the lazy river or other parts of the waterpark, there were lots of chairs.

You are not allowed food or drinks into the waterpark (except water) and the food wasn't cheap. However, the portions are huge so really, I didn't find the food overly expensive. For instance, you get 8 chicken tenders in one order that costs around $13.50. If you order those with fries ($9.00), you could feed three children so to me, that isn't expensive. It was the same with the wraps, the fruit bowl, or the quesadillas - they were so big you could easily share so the money wasn't that bad. (We didn't order the nachos as we wouldn't have been able to finish them among 4 people they were so big). The adult drinks were expensive though as a margarita was $10 and I wasn't sharing that. :) I get the whole "no food" allowed, but it would have been nice to bring some snacks in at the very minimum; I am sure people would have still bought food even if they could bring some small snacks into the park. The people who worked the food counter were really nice and really fast as were the waiters / waitresses.

During spring break, they have movies every night in the pool area and you can swim in the pool while watching the movie which was kinda cool. Overall, the kids loved the waterpark and it was worth the $40/per day.

Restaurants
There were a number of restaurants on site, but we only went to the lobby grill and Aunt Chiladas. In both places, we found the service really good and friendly and the food was decent. I wouldn't really recommend the breakfast buffet in the Lobby Grill as it is pretty expensive for what you get. We found it better to order off the menu as my husband and I don't eat much for breakfast so paying $21.95 for an adult wasn't really worth it.

Fitness Centre
I travel a lot for business and often use the fitness centres and this was by far, the nicest and largest fitness centre I have ever seen. They have a ton of equipment, a studio for classes, raquet courts and a large weight room. They also have an adult lap pool if you want to swim laps. It was very clean with good equipment.

Golf Course
My husband and son used the driving range and played golf one day. They said the driving range was "ok", while the course was very nice. My husband booked the last tee time of the day which was 3:30pm (which seemed early to me) as they didn't want to hold anyone up (my 9 year old son has played before and my husband is a very good golfer). They had a really good time together and I loved the fact they let them play together.

Overall Property
This property is large, but you can easily walk from one end to the other. Even my 6 year old had no trouble walking from the waterpark to the lobby and back. They have couches and fireplaces throughout and lots of really pretty flowers and trees. It is a really nice property although it is a bit expensive when you consider the hotel room and the resort fee. But overall, I would say it was worth it as my family had a great time.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4th floor of the Sedona Suites and while the pool outside our room was a bit noisy...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank RosieRo56
Paul G, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear RosieRo56,
Thank you for your kind remarks regarding your stay with the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa. You touched on some of our great assets including: our water park, and extensive gym. We could not agree more with the praise for both. In addition, we are pleased that your son and husband enjoyed the golf course together and that you and your family had a great stay with us! We hope you will visit us again on your next trip to Phoenix.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We stayed here for the last part of our son's spring break. The service is absolutely amazing!!! The room was clean and up to date and was accessible to everything the resort had to offer. I highly recommend renting a cabana...the cost is worth it! The reservation process for the cabana was spectacular and Amanda was just a gem! We will return in June for a golf tournament in Scottsdale, but will stay here again just based on the service we received!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear thebug84,
Thank you for your kind remarks regarding your recent stay with the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa. We pride ourselves in providing a high level of service to our guests, and are happy that you experienced, and appreciated this! We look forward to welcoming you back!
Manhattan, Kansas
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I loved this hotel, but there were still a few things that didn't seem right to me. The hotel itself is luxery personified, with heavenly beds and all suite accomodations. The service was prompt, and we could call for a golf cart to take us anywhere on the grounds that we needed to go.

However, room service was non-existant. My room was not cleaned over the three days I stayed, although to be fair I checked in one day, stayed the next full day and checked out on the third day. I was at a conference at the Resort and that meant I stayed on the grounds, but that also meant I had to pay resort prices if I wanted a drink. Sodas were $4.75 for a 12 ounce can or bottle, as was water. In room dining would require that you mortgage your home if you wanted to eat.

All in all, I would never go to this resort on my own....

Dear Patricia M,
Thank you for taking the time to remark on your recent stay with us.Your comments will help drive future decisions. We are happy that you loved the hotel including the golf cart service and the heavenly beds. However, I am sorry to hear that your visit was not all you hoped it would be regarding room-service and housekeeping. We, at the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa, pride ourselves in providing a high level of service to our guests we are sorry to have fallen short in your case. We sincerely hope you will return someday allowing us to demonstrate how important your business is to us.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 17 April 2014

This is the second year,we decided to stay at this hotel.It is a very fine establishment.We absolutely loved it.The staff is very cordial and helpful.This is a full service resort.The golf course is spectacular.The bar and grill is excellent.The food is great.The bar service and in-room dinning is superb.We will be going back next year.Its very reasonable considering all the services they provide.

Room Tip: Ask for a junior suite.
Dear MT C,
Thank you for you kind remarks regarding your recent stay with the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit! You touched on many of our great amenities that better serve guests. We are pleased that you enjoyed the golf course and the food and service from our bar, grill, and in-room dining! We hope you will consider us for your next visit to Phoenix.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Whilst this resort is dated and in need of some modernization it provided a nice appeal and has beautiful architecture and landscaping all around. Rooms were clean and service was friendly and prompt.

Dear Manoj N,
Thank you for you kind remarks regarding your recent stay with the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit with: friendly and prompt service, clean rooms and beautiful grounds. We hope you will consider us for your next visit to Phoenix!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 April 2014

There are many reasons to stay at Arizona Grand Resort and Spa. The golf course, wave pool, lazy river, restaurants and bar are all great ways to spend your time there. But do yourself a favor and book an appointment time at the Spa!

just returned from the resort and look forward to returning for all the amenities. I was there for a business conference and one day I slipped away for a 50 minute custom facial. I'm so glad I did. Stephanie was wonderful. She performed her magic and my skin felt great for days. She carefully examined my skin and used the best products for my mixed skin type. Wish I could have tried more services. next time I go back I will try the massage as my coworker raved about hers.

Room Tip: If you are there for a business conference, ask for a room in the Camelback suites. This is closest...
1 Thank Cindy J
Dear Cindy J,
Thank you for you kind remarks regarding your recent stay with the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit. You touched on many of our great amenities that better serve guests. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you and your coworker enjoyed the custom spa treatments! We hope to welcome you back to try more of our excellent spa treatments in the future!
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

So today we check into our room and we have an issue with our fridge. There's mold and it's not getting cold. Thankfully they send us a replacement quickly once we realize it's pretty much garbage. Well that's all and fine except the old fridge is still in our room and smells disgusting. Then either from the new fridge old fridge or what other location unknown. Well we call maintenance comes to check they didn't even enter the room. All they did was spray INSIDE our door this awful smelling spray that made us gag. And said "no it did not come from the fridge we cleaned it" and left.

So yea. That's our experience so far.

I was surprised with the person short on the other end and the fact that all maintenance did was say "no not our problem".

Yup. With all the stays I have in a year I know I will prefer better service. Maybe I'm just spoiled with great service.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Photogriver
Dear Photogriver,
Thank you for taking the time to remark on your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that your visit was not all you hoped it would be. We are very sorry that you had an unfortunate situation with the fridge. We strive to do everything possible to ensure our resolution is appropriate to the situation. We, at the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa, pride ourselves in providing a high level of service to our guests we are sorry to have fallen short in your case. We sincerely hope you will return someday allowing us to demonstrate how important your business is to us.