“What a difference a year makes...”

Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
Ranked #30 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We loved this place so much we decided to stay again for the Easter weekend with our friends from out of state... I am very dissappointed this time around and the only reason I am giving them an Average score is because of my great experience last summer.
1. Our "upgraded" room in the Sedona suites had no balcony or patio just a door leading out to a brick wall.
2. We had ants in our bathroom so they came and sprayed and we were told we could not use it until housekeeping came and cleaned. We had to call twice to get them to come and clean so we could use it... 2 hours later!
3. Our 2nd day housekeeping neglected to even clean our room. We came back from the pool at 4:45 and our room had not even been touched. For a 3 night stay we did not have housekeeping once!
4. The mattress on the pull out bed had springs sticking out. We had to call down and they did bring us a mattress pad as the bed was clearly not sleepable.
5. Twice our keys stopped working so they had to come and let us in our room but failed to bring us new keys. By this time we were on a first name basis with the front desk!
6. Our friends are driving back to California today and I decided to call down for late check out (noon vs. 11:00) so we could go to breakfast before we packed up and I was told that due to high occupancy they were not allowing for any late check outs. Well I guess that is a good thing because I don't think I really even want to stay another hour.
I realize that much of this might be due to the high occupancy for Easter weekend as this was such a night and day experience from last summer. If you do stay here I would recomend not staying on a Holiday weekend and for better rooms/view stay in the mountain side or villas! They are much nicer!!

Room Tip: Stay in villas or mountainside only!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Paul G, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Phatmom2000,
Thank you for taking the time to remark on your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that your visit was not all you hoped it would be. I'm sorry about the housekeeping issues with your room as well as the issue with the keys. I am sorry that we could not give you a late checkout, that is a free service we always try to give, sometimes, however, it is just not possible. We, at the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa, pride ourselves in providing a high level of service to our guests we are sorry to have fallen short in your case. We sincerely hope you will return someday allowing us to demonstrate how important your business is to us.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,900)

Reviewed 21 April 2014

When our first room choice wasn't exactly what we thought it was going to be (mostly because of us, not the resort!) Frankie at the front desk was able to help us find a Villa suite that more than exceeded our expectations. Very close to the water park (yet quiet at nighttime) and very reasonable pricing compared to other similar quality resorts (Fairmont was a lot higher price for same size room and Marriott didn't have rooms available for our stretch of time).

Great experience overall! Thanks to Frankie at the front desk!

Room Tip: If traveling with 5 or more, spend extra for the villa. Well worth the money

Dear Sseif9,
Thank you for taking the time to remark on your stay at the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa. I'm so pleased that our team, Frankie in particular, showed you our great customer service. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed the Villa room. We hope that you will consider us for your next vacation, we would love to welcome you back!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed 3 nights over spring break with our 4 kids ages 1-10. Check-in was straight forward, though no room upgrade was available. Since I booked through a third party vendor, I was hit with a "surprise" additional $40/nite resort fee which they waved for the first night since the pool was closed for a special event. Parking is limited, though on the plus side you can park close to your room if you get there early enough. Valet parking is free. The rooms are clean and decently sized, but not huge. The frig is stocked with the usual expensive snacks. They did say we could empty the frig and use it for our own food- it would have been better just to have an empty frig to use. No microwave available. Standard pack and play, no crib or crib sheet provided- they do give you a little blanket. The grounds are so-so. The golfing area and landscaping are very nice but the courtyard around our room was dingy. We were a short walk to the water park where we spent most of our time. The water park is quite large and the legendary slides were not disappointing. The curvy slide is OK for kids 7-8 and up. The straight slide is too fast and in fact you can get hurt "down there" if you are not really careful to cross your legs on the way down- wouldn't recommend it for anyone except the most adventurous of kids. The cabana was $250 per day- we did it one day. Nice but not necessary, we had similar experience second day with no cabana. Best part is to have an actual table to eat at and get nice plate of cookies and fruit as well as cold water. Service was good. Food at poolside limited- no kids menu but they have all the basics- burgers, hot dogs, etc. Expensive of course. Hotel lobby mart with very limited options. There's a Kroger's family market (Frye's?) a few blocks away- best to stock up there. Also a Target a couple of miles down the road. Two great restaurants nearby- Aunt Chilada's and Rustler's Roost- great for the whole family and very good food at both.
Overall, nice family getaway if you like hanging at pool all day and weather is nice. Otherwise, nothing too special. Could have been a little cleaner and the service was overall good. Not luxurious, but very nice property. We drove to Scottsdale on our way out of town and went to the new Butterfly Wonderland- fun for 1.5 hours for the kids.

Room Tip: Camelback is closest to water park. Ask for room on first floor if you are going to be coming and g...
2  Thank AnneA497
Paul G, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Anne A,

Thank you for you kind remarks regarding your recent stay with the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa. I am happy to hear that you and your children enjoyed your visit. You touched on many of our great amenities that better serve guests. We are pleased that you and your children enjoyed the water park, and the food at Aunt Chilada's and Ruster's Roost. We hope you will consider us for your next visit to Phoenix!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

This place does everything extremely well. Very friendly to kids, wheelchair users and gluten-free eaters.

The grounds and resort facilities are outstanding. Terrific water park with several different pools plus huge slides, additional pools near the rooms, an adult lap pool, fitness center, spa and salon. Fountains everywhere. Beautiful, mature landscaping everywhere. Kids' movie every night in the water park.

Food is delicious, with plenty of options for kids, healthy, indulgent, or gluten-free.

Rooms are spacious and comfortable, and extremely well maintained. The air conditioning works very well and is very responsive.

Staff are very friendly and accommodating.

Encountered four issues:
(1) the fold-down bench in the roll-in shower was not securely attached on one side. This was repaired immediately, and $100 was taken off our room charge for that day. This would not have happened if a better-designed bench (with supporting legs) had been installed.
(2) Our son's family ordered room service, which was never delivered.
(3) The water park was closed the day we arrived because there was a large group (400 people) staying at the hotel and they reserved it. I was told that this happens sometimes because the resort has a large conference center.
(4) Sofa bed mattress had hard ridges and was uncomfortable.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Judy D,
Thank you for your kind remarks regarding your recent stay with the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our many food options. We take great pride in our property and love to hear that our guests enjoyed themselves. I am sorry about the issue of the seat in the shower, I'm glad that was resolved quickly. We hope you will consider us for your next visit to Phoenix.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Just returned 4/20. Went with 2 fifteen year olds. We all loved it. I felt comfortable letting the kids roam the resort night and day on their own. I got lots of me time at the adults only pool. Only thing missing was guide for tv shows. I highly recommend this resort.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 398Paula2323

Dear 398Paula2323,
Thank you for your kind remarks regarding your stay in April, at the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa.
I am glad that you enjoyed the pools on property and felt safe enough to let your children explore the property. We hope you will visit us again on your next trip to Phoenix!

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We have been to Phoenix the last three years for Spring Break, and have stayed at the Westin-Keirland, Wild Horse and Arizona Grand. I would rank them in that order. All are good places, but Arizona Grand isn't quite in the same league as the others. It does have incredibly helpful staff - the customer service was great. The pools were great too, with great slides. Many of the paths and roads have been blocked off, making getting to the room and into the pool circuitous at times. The location is great, close to the airport and South Mountain.

Dear Mike E,
Thank you for your remarks regarding your stay in April, with the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa. You touched on two of our greatest assets, our service and our waterpark. We could not agree more with the praise for both. We believe our customer service sets us apart. I'm sorry for the inconvenience of the paths being closed off. That was only for a short time, it does not happen often. We hope you will visit us again on your next trip to Phoenix.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

I went to this resort with my wife and two children (7 and 10). We decided to stay at this place for the attached water park.

The photos on the site is truly representative of the resort.

First the pros:

This is a beautiful, well located resort in Phoenix. It is about 6 miles south of the Sky Harbor airport. There are many restaurants very close by and it is right off Highway 10.

The resort itself is very well maintained and has all to offer. It truly is a "resort" in that all the services are just a phone call away. Need food brought to your room? pick up the phone. Going to the main lobby and don't want to walk? Pick up the phone and they will pick you up in a golf cart. Anything and they are happy to provide you the service.

Lobby is gorgeous. Very nice place to sit, relax, take in the environment, get a drink, get a coffee and something to eat, etc. They have a Starbucks and a full grill that pretty much serves anything.

There are many room options and we went with the base room (King Suite). We also upgraded to the one closer to the water park (extra $20 per night fee). The room is very nice, comfortable bed, nice linens, LCD TVs (two in our room). Very convenient to go from the room to our car or the pools or water park.

They also have access to a full gym is is very good. It pretty much has everything in terms of aerobic, weights, TRX, studio with classes, sauna, etc. Very nice and extensive.

The Cons

The place is expensive. I got the base room which was about $200 a night. I thought it was a good price since they have a water park along with it but then found out they have an extra "resort fee" of $40 per night. They say this covers the internet access (which is free in all other hotels), access to the gym (which is not needed but the resort fee is required) and access to the water park. Also everything is generally expensive to make up / charge additional fees. I asked about renting a cabana for the day and they told me $350! 1.5 times my hotel room. We had lunch at the pool and a cheeseburger was $15 and the fries were extra for an additional $8. We were on vacation so I sucked it up and ate and drank and did not worry about the cost (too much) but it did stop us from doing everything.

The room, while nice is small. The biggest complaint is the bathroom is tiny and they put the sink in the master bedroom. There is only 1 bathroom and the toilet and bathtub are in a very small closet type bathroom.

All in all it is a really nice place and we would visit again.

Room Tip: Our room was on the ground floor by the water park but was very quiet. No problems.
3  Thank NJeMktingGuy
Paul G, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear NJeMktingGuy,
Thank you for you kind remarks regarding your recent stay with the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit. You touched on many of our great amenities that better serve guests such as our extensive gym, water park, and our beautiful lobby area . We work hard to ensure all our guests have a pleasurable experience, and we are very pleased that the service contributed to making your stay enjoyable. Your comments will help drive future decisions. We hope you will consider us for your next visit to Phoenix.