“Great sunny vacation location”

Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
Ranked #31 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Fun place but a lot of people all in one place. Oasis Water Park is fun for kids but you must go at 9 am to get lounge chairs. Also the food is absolutely overpriced.

The resort itself is nice and the amenities are great.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank mmartin8
Paul G, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear mmartin8,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa. I'm pleased that you had fun. We do often get crowded with families that love to stay at our resort and use our waterpark. Guests are always welcome to bring bottled water into Oasis. I hope you will consider staying with us again for your next vacation.

There are newer reviews for Arizona Grand Resort & Spa

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed for a week while attending a conference. I will only comment on the lap pool as everything else has pretty much been covered by others.

The pool is 20 meters long and has 3 lanes (no dividers) + one shorter lane. The depth is constant throughout the pool at somewhere between 3 and 4 feet (slightly more than a meter). The pool is open from 6 AM to 10 PM. It is heated, which was not really needed in May, the water could get a bit too warm for exercise swimming. The pool is not built like a lap pool, for instance there are various water outlets and inlets on the short end making it slightly challenging to do turns. As the pool is outdoors with surrounding trees there were some debris in the water, but not so much that it was annoying. There is an ample supply of towels.

Best time to swim was early in the morning, between 6 and 7 in the morning the pool was more or less empty and the temperature was nice. During the day/early afternoon it was too hot + more people floating around. Evenings were ok, but the lighting is poor.

Twice a week (Tuesday and Thursday at around 6 or 7 PM) there are 1.5 hour swim classes. These are mostly attended by local triathletes and not too crowded. The level is moderate. The coach was knowledgeable and gave good individual comments.

All in all this is probably the best lap swimming experience I have had at a hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Derf45
Paul G, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Derf45,
Thank you for your remarks regarding your recent stay with the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our lap pool. We understand that being able to exercise while away from home is very important to so many of our guests. For this reason we work to keep our pools pristine as well as our full fitness club on-site. Thank you again and we hope you will consider us for your next visit to Phoenix.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

In a time when Internet access is as important as clean water, this resort's Internet offerings are third-world quality. Access in the suites was sparse, but fast when available. The conference rooms have a single access point serving hundreds of users, leading to practically zero connectivity.

During the week, the resort was peaceful, but be prepared for hordes of small children on the weekend.

The resort has a few restaurants; don't be tempted by their proximity to the resort, though. Their Yelp reviews are mediocre, and my experiences were not encouraging. The Mexican restaurant serves overly salty food for eyebrow-raising prices. The Lobby restaurant will provide you with a tasty breakfast, but only if you feel like forking over $12 for oatmeal or $25 for an omelette. Fortunately, there are numerous dining options within a mile of the resort.
The rooms are without a refrigerator or microwave.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank p b

Dear p b,
Thank you for taking the time to remark on your recent stay with us. I am sorry the wireless service did not meet your expectations. We are always working to improve our property and our level of customer service. Your comment regarding the connectivity of conference rooms will certainly be reviewed and help us better serve our business guests. I hope you will consider staying with us again to give us another chance to wow you.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I just returned from a two night stay at the Arizona Grand. We were at this property the Friday and Saturday of Memorial Day weekend so I expected that it would be crowded. What I did not expect, however, is the lack of staffing to deal with the amount of guests. Check in on Friday was extremely slow. There were not enough bellmen to deal with parking cars and the front desk wait was over 20 minutes. We ate at the pool area where the food was very average and overpriced. On Saturday morning I went to the lobby coffee bar where the wait was 30 minutes and over 20 people deep. Chocolate croissants were out by 8 AM! Really? We booked a cabana with two other families at the Oasis waterpark for Saturday. The cost of the cabana? $500 for four deluxe lounge chairs and a table for four. Fruit and cookies were provided along with water and we did have an attentive attendant. Again, extremely overpriced. The crowds at the Oasis were truly overwhelming. There is nothing "lazy" about the lazy river when it is clogged with tubes! In the afternoon it was difficult to walk around the Oasis because of the many people wandering looking for chairs. Even the grassy areas were covered with towels from the overflow of people. Not very relaxing or enjoyable. I definitely would not want to stay here again when there are many other choices in the Phoenix area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank HighCountryAZ

Dear HighCountryAZ,
Thank you for taking the time to remark on your recent stay with us. I am sorry the service and the waterpark did not meet your expectations. We are always working to improve our property and our level of customer service. Our bell and front desk teams do all they can to help our guest check in as quickly as possible. I apologize that you had an extremely long wait. Our waterpark is quite popular and can get very busy. Our non-holiday weekends are less crowded. We work hard to ensure all our guests have a pleasurable experience and I am sorry we fell short in your case. I hope you will consider staying with us again to give us another chance to wow you.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

If it weren't for the fact that there is a great water park on the property, this would simply be an outdated, waisting Hotel. The refrigerator did not work, the ironing board was broken the carpet appeared to be older and stained and the AC would not work in 'Auto' so we had to leave the fan on at all times. This meant we were cold or hot the whole time. The grounds are nice but it's obvious they are having a tough time maintaining the buildings. Overall feeling was outdated. For no fridge, no ironing board, an AC Semi-working and outdated room I could have stayed at Motel 6 and saved $200 a night.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank A9865FEpatrickd

Dear Patrick D,
Thank you for taking the time to remark on your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that your visit was not all you hoped it would be. While I am pleased that you enjoyed our waterpark, I do apologize for the condition of the room. Please, do not hesitate to contact the front desk associates. They are always happy to provide solutions to any issues you may have. We strive to do everything possible to ensure our resolution is appropriate to the situation. We sincerely hope you will return someday allowing us to demonstrate how important your business is to us.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

This is a lovely property, however it does not have the staffing to perform the duties required of this type of hotel. Several times during my stay the front desk was not manned, yet it is a huge property. That becomes a safety issue as the phone was not answered either. Then upon arrival, my TV did not work, nor the phone. A leg was broken on the luggage holder, so it seems that maintenance is having trouble keeping up. The accommodations were lovely, I would hope that they would supply adequate staffing as this property deserves better.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank VictoriaHeritage

Dear VictoriaHeritage,
Thank you for taking the time to remark on your recent stay with us. I am sorry the service and the room did not meet your expectations. We are always working to improve our property and our level of customer service. I am so sorry about the three issues with your room, upon arrival. This is not the standard for us, I assure you. We do have a beautiful property, and we are always working to keep it that way. I hope you will consider staying with us again to give us another chance to wow you.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

This would probably be an OK place to stay if you have lots of kids and do the water park. If you don't have kids you do NOT want to stay here. This resort is over run with screaming kids and parents that do not care! The noise coming from the resort pool (not water park) was terrible. Plus every adult seemed to be smoking as the area stunk with smoke. You will not see any hotel staff anywhere other than the main lobby area. I was surprised by how may adults were drinking beverages around the pool area in GLASS bottles. There was nowhere to park anywhere close to my building and had to use valet which was not close. I complained about the mini-fridge in the room not working. After a day of waiting, and three phone calls, maintenance finally showed up. I was informed that the fridge is a "chilling" fridge and does not really keep things cold. Fact was it kept drinks at room temperature! Really nice when it is 100 degrees plus outside. There is nothing convenient about this property and you cannot go out of your room to relax because of the kids running everywhere.

Room Tip: Don't stay close to any of the many pools
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Ibfishin

Dear Ibfishin,
Thank you for taking the time to remark on your recent stay with us. I am sorry the service and the room did not meet your expectations. We are always working to improve our property and our level of customer service.I'm sorry that you experienced so many inconveniences during your stay with us. We are a popular resort for families, but we strive to provide every guest a wonderful experience. Due to your comments regarding the pools, we will be watching them even more consistently. I hope you will consider staying with us again to give us another chance to wow you.