“Old and out of date”

Ranked #31 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Mesa, Arizona
“Old and out of date”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The main reason we chose Arizona Grand was for the water park. We weren't impressed. The place needs to be refurbished badly. No cool deck anywhere, so you can't walk around with your sandals off or your feet burn. The lazy river is more like a lazy stream. Very narrow and you bump into everyone or the tubes. The waterslides are okay, at best. The worst part is you can't bring any food or drink into the water park and they charge an arm and a leg for everything. $20 for two tap beers and a diet coke. If you want to go to a water park, save your money and go to Golfland Sunsplash or one of the other water parks in the Phoenix area. More bang for your buck. In fact, we talked to several people checking out stating they were heading to a different water park because this wasn't good.

As far as the hotel/resort area, it needs refurbishing too. Old, out of date and tiresome. On a good note, the room was clean and roomy. We didn't eat here because we figured since the water park food was overpriced, the restaurants would be overpriced. I don't mind paying the extra money for a nice, modern resort with decent amenities. Sadly, Arizona Grand did not fit the bill. We won't be returning.

2 Thank Melody M
Paul G, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Melody M
Thank you for taking the time to remark on your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that your visit was not all you hoped it would be. I'm sorry that the water park is not what you were expecting. We are always working to improve the quality of our property. Your mention of a "cool deck" will be taken into consideration as we are always looking for improvements for the water park. We sincerely hope you will return someday allowing us to demonstrate how important your business is to us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We had a wonderful time at the Arizona Grand. The rooms are clean and comfy. When there was a problem (with the fridge) we just called the front desk and they took care of it. The grounds are so pretty and the Oasis Water Park was just what the family needed! This was my second time there and I look forward to returning for a third!

1 Thank TucsonGirl2014
Dear Tucsongirl2014,
Thank you for your kind remarks regarding your recent stay with the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa. You touched on two of our greatest assets, our service and our waterpark. We could not agree more with the praise for both. I am glad that our team was able to quickly fix the issue you had with the fridge in your room. I'm glad you and your children took advantage of, and enjoyed Oasis. We look forward to seeing you for your next trip to Phoenix!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This is a resort with spa and golf as well as a guest-limited waterpark.

Everything was wonderful during our stay. Our suite was spacious and well supplied. The staff was courteous and helpful, especially the concierge, Don Went, who was very instrumental in making our stay as great as it was. Mr. Went ‘went’ out of his way in several areas and is to be commended for doing a wonderful job in giving service to his guests.

However, the resort is showing its age. We noticed several areas needing maintenance attention.

While there is a resort charge that includes the waterpark, there is a free, good sized pool in every complex.

The only down side was the price of the food, both in the resort and at the Oasis Waterpark. It was ballpark level. At the very least, guests should be allowed to bring snacks into the waterpark. What would it hurt? Every parcel being brought into the waterpark is inspected upon entry for ‘illegal’ food. A picnic area just outside of the entry gate would be of great assistance to those families with children.

Parking is limited

Room Tip: Special values can be realized during summer months, as must be expected in Phoenix. Try for a Camel...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Phillyta
Dear Phillyta,
Thank you for your remarks regarding your recent stay with the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa. You touched on two of our greatest assets, our service and our waterpark. We could not agree more with the praise for both. I am glad you were able to experience great customer service here. Don Went is one of our many team members who consistently go out of their way to provide a wonderful guest experience to our visitors. I am glad you enjoyed your room as well. Your comments on the condition of the property as a whole will help drive future decisions concerning the property. Thank you again and we hope you will visit us again on your next trip to Phoenix.
Cody, Wyoming
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Although this isn't what I would qualify as a "resort" in my mind, it was a great place to stay with kids for a reasonable price. We had a 2nd floor room in the Camelback building, and our patio opened out onto a small view of the pool area. Rooms are a little "tired", but spacious, clean and the beds are very comfortable. The staff was very friendly, efficient and helpful and we enjoyed drinks by the pool while the kids swam. It is a large property and very easy to get lost or turned around. The location is close to the airport, but it seems far away from anything else. The water park isn't huge, but we enjoyed the smaller aspect of it…although it seems best suited for kids age 4-12. We would stay here again, but it was not the destination I had envisioned.

1 Thank MiBu69
Dear MiBu69,
Thank you for you kind remarks regarding your recent stay with the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit. We are always striving to provide a wonderful stay at a valuable price. I am glad you got to experience the customer service we pride ourselves on. Our location is actually fairly ideal. We are just down the street from Target and Fry's, and the Tempe Marketplace is quite close to us as well, if you would like to go shopping. We hope you will consider us for your next visit to Phoenix.
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I bought a deal off of TravelZoo for $169 for a night that included a $30 breakfast voucher, $50 spa credit and admission into the water park. I ended up making a weekend out of it with my family and spent over $500 in addition to the travelzoo amount. RIDICULOUS! There is the $40 a night resort fee (which yes I knew about) then to get a room kind of close to the water park it was another additional $40 a night. Then because I had more than 2 kids it was $30 additional per kid. to get a water park bracelet. There were so many people in the lazy river and wave pool area it was hard to get around and watch your little ones. If you ordered a drink it took forever to get it. I've done a few staycations here in the valley and this was by far the worst. I would definitely not waste my money again. If you like the looks of this resort try the Pointe at Squaw Peak. We liked that one so much better.
The breakfast Buffet was just ok....frest fruit was great.....no pancakes, french toast not very good, omelette was good.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Paul G, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Cheryl H,
Thank you for taking the time to remark on your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that your visit was not all you hoped it would be. I do apologize that you had some unexpected charges during your stay. Our waterpark is very popular and is often busy, I'm sorry for the inconvenience, not allowing you to enjoy yourself while here. The rooms closer to the waterpark are slightly higher in price. If you would like to reserve a less expensive room, we have free valet parking and we can drive you to and from your room and the waterpark in our golf carts, they are always available for free guest use. We, at the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa, pride ourselves in providing a high level of service to our guests we are sorry to have fallen short in your case. We sincerely hope you will return someday allowing us to demonstrate how important your business is to us.
New City, New York
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This place is huge. Went here for a 10 day business trip. After a few days I was able to navigate the resort without much problem.

- Stayed in Camelback on the first floor. My so called patio opened up to being below the parking lot. I had a view of a wall and car tires. The front of my room faced the pool, unfortunately there were no chairs for me to sit in directly outside of my room. The room itself was spacious enough, where a family of 4 could probably stay there without any problems.

- One bad thing about the location is that it's really not close to anything. If you want to go to the closest stores it's a little bit of a walk along a major road.

- The water park area seemed very nice and the pool bar had some nice frozen drinks. It seemed that on most nights they showed family movies out at the pool.

- Ended up eating at Aunt Chilada's and the Lobby Bar. The food was good at both, but a little pricey.

- I'm a mid to high handicap golfer and enjoyed playing the golf course. I rented newish Nike clubs from the clubhouse.

- If I lived on that side of the Mississippi I would probably think about coming back with my family.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor or higher.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank rockland_ta
Dear rockland_ta,
Thank you for you remarks regarding your recent stay with the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa. You touched on many of our great amenities that better serve guests. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed both the waterpark, and our golf course. However, I am sorry the view from your room was unsatisfactory. Please never hesitate to call the front desk and ask for a resolution to issues such as this. We hope you will consider us for your next visit to Phoenix. We can certainly provide you with a room on a higher floor with a balcony and seating.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The resort itself is nice. The waterpark for kids is fantastic. Unfortunately, the customer service was terrible. The resort chose to advertise on every single discount website available during the summer months. They were filled to capacity but lacked the staff to be able to deal with the influx of people. There was a long wait for food, and drinks. There were not enough servers poolside. There was an hour wait to be seated at breakfast. Once seated, the service took forever. During the morning hours the lazy river was fine. But afternoons, the crowd was too large for it to be relaxing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the waterpark I think that area is called camelback
3 Thank RBD1975
Dear RBD1975,
Thank you for taking the time to remark on your recent stay with us. I am sorry the service did not meet your expectations. We are always working to improve our property and our level of customer service. I do apologize for the inconvenience of the crowds. We are a very popular vacation/staycation property. Your comments on under-staffing will certainly be taken into account. I am pleased to note that you did enjoy the waterpark and the property itself. I am sorry you did not experience the customer service you deserve. We work hard to ensure all our guests have a pleasurable experience. I hope you will consider staying with us again to give us another chance to wow you.