“Just a little freshening needed!”

Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
Ranked #31 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Overall good stay,just a little outdated. Roons were clean and the Waterpark was fun.The fridge didn't work and I couldn't find an ice machine that worked. For the price it was ok, but will probably go elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: July 2014
Paul G, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear rickmartins,
Thank you for taking the time to remark on your recent stay with us. While I am pleased that you enjoyed the waterpark, I am sorry for the issues you experienced with the ice machines and refrigerator not working while staying with us. We are always working to improve our property and our level of customer service. We work hard to ensure all our guests have a pleasurable experience. I hope you will consider staying with us again to give us another chance to wow you.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The hotel is still nice but having just arrived on the property, I had 3 different people trying to sell me something.

The first was the valet. When I asked if I could just park at the lobby to check in really quick, they gave me 10 reasons to use the valet service instead. The long distance to the waterpark and having to walk through construction were two. When I checked in, they told me my regular room was not ready but I could upgrade to a Villa...for a fee, of course. After saying no, my regular already-pricey room suddenly became available. They ended up putting the upgrade fee (resort fee) on my final bill even though I didn't upgrade and I had to have them remove it when I checked out. On my way to the cafe to get coffee, the timeshare lady stopped me to offer info on their Villas. I'm not kidding when I say this all happened within 30 minutes of arriving. And I wasn't even in my room yet.

I mean, geez, let me get into some flip flops first. It's not relaxing having to be on guard at every turn considering I paid top dollar for my stay.

There were timeshare/villa sales signs all over the Conference Center which was very misplaced and somewhat tacky. The signs were printed on foam board, bent, and falling down. The video playing the sales propaganda was on an old
TV and looked nothing like my room. After the 2nd day, I found myself avoiding eye contact with the staff. For clarity, I paid full tilt for the room and not a timeshare-subsidized rate.

Ending on a more positive note, 3rd days a charm! The staff at the breakfast lobby restaurant were excellent considering how many customers there were.

Beverly really made an impression on us in a positive way when she took care of us at the Mexican restaurant (aunt chilidas) Her service was top notch! She was funny, personable, and never let our drinks run dry. The food was very yummy and we will go back to the Mexican restaurant next time were in the area.

My internet was HORRIBLE in the room and wouldn't connect but it was important I get online for work plus I had a fussy daughter at the moment who wanted Netflix which wouldn't play because the internet was so slow. I called the operator and Stephanie put me trough to Josh. I couldn't figure it out so he actually offered to come to my room to help! He was there within 10 minutes! He got our 3 phones and an iPad working perfectly. My daughter wouldn't stop talking about Dora the Explorer (she was upset). I thought it was sweet he even started up a Dora video for her on the iPad.

My little explorer accidentally dropped the room service tray and dishes off the table. My daughter was upset (it was loud) but he told her it was ok. I was scared he was going to charge us for the broken dishes but he actually picked up everything and offered to take the whole tray away for us. He even asked us if he could have room service replace the food. I declined since we had to leave. I was pleasantly surprised and he didn't make us feel guilty about the broken dishes!

The waterpark staff was very friendly overall and really catered to my daughter. The prices are a little high but the staff was very nice.

My final moment was when I went to the business center next to the timeshare sales stuff. I went over to the business center and the doors were locked. The business center was supposed to be opened. As I shook the door Avery passed by. Avery walked around and opened the doors for me and immediately offered to help me. He shipped 2 packages, allowed me to make copies and fax 3 pages, he also gave me some prices on poster services. He was super friendly and didn't make me feel like I inconvenienced him by opening the business center. Avery was extremely knowledgable about the resort and answered all of my questions which some were a little off the wall. He said there are no timeshares but you actually can "own a villa" and he apologized for the wrong impression I got from the signs. He explained the park hours, and when I asked where the gym was he even called a cart to meet me at the conference center and drive me over!!!! It was very hot outside so we were thankful for the ride!

The property itself is very large, older, and needs some TLC. The decor is not attractive and this place is in desperate need of a new designer. There is major construction going on like they're building more Villas, but you don't notice the noise from your room. Overall the staff is what makes this place really shine. We got off to a rocky start with feeling pressured to spend more $ but in the end the staff is the reason I will consider returning. Even the housekeeps smile and say good morning- where does this ever happen?

I give a big NO to couples looking to stay here for a romantic getaway.

I did have a good time but my daughter had a blast! If you have kids/teens I would strongly recommend this hotel for a family vacay or staycay.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank debcvas74

Dear debcvas,
Thank you for your kind remarks regarding your recent stay with the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa. You touched on one of our greatest assets, our service. We could not agree more with the praise. I am so glad you were able to experience the excellent customer service we pride ourselves on. Though, I'm sorry for the pressure you felt upon first arriving, but Avery and Josh, like so many on our team, showed you why our guests love coming back. The new construction happening at the resort is actually a new ballroom set to be completed in December of this year. We are very excited about this new addition. I am so pleased that your daughter loved the resort and had such a great time. We would love to welcome you back on your next trip to Phoenix!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I took our daughters and our 2 grandsons to the Arizona Grand during the visit of our daughter and grandson from Manhattan. The boys are ages 6 & 7. We had such an incredible time and the boys were absolutely thrilled the whole time. It is one of several times that we've stayed there with others and are always very pleased with the entire experience.

Room Tip: Those with children should reserve a room close to the water park since children can't get enoug...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Debi622014,
Thank you for your kind remarks regarding your recent stay with the Arizona Grand Resort. Thank you for being one of our repeat guests. We love to hear that our guests love coming back over and over. I am glad that you and your family had such a wonderful time this year! We hope you will return again soon and give us the chance to welcome you back.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

The rooms were clean, quiet and easy to access. The water park was fun though it was very hot in July. They had umbrellas and tents for shade. The food prices were very expensive but the summer hotel room rates made up for it.

• Stayed: July 2014
Paul G, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Texan3037,
Thank you for your kind remarks regarding your recent stay with the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa. You touched on one of our greatest assets, our waterpark. We could not agree more with the praise. The heat in Phoenix, during the summer can be quite oppressive. I'm glad you were able to escape the it, at least for a while, at our waterpark. We hope you will visit us again on your next trip to Phoenix.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

This resort was well worth the extra cost (resort fee). The water park was wonderful. Lazy river, wave pool, water slides, and best of all pool side service of drinks and food. Rooms were wonderfuly set up with the beds in a whole seperate room from the living area (a true suite has a door to the bedroom, Springhill suites take note). Cant wait to go back!,

Room Tip: Near the water park!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear R J
Thank you for your kind remarks regarding your recent stay with the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit. You touched on many of our great amenities that better serve guests.We are proud of our waterpark, and it is very popular with our guests. I am pleased that you had such a great time with us! We would love to welcome you back on your next visit to Phoenix.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed here 3 nights with two boys ages 15 and 11. Check-in was easy and service was very nice. Our room was quite nice and right by the water park, which we requested.

We had a deal that included breakfast for two. We had breakfast at the restaurant in the lobby. The buffet was wonderful. It had tons of fresh fruit and lots of choices. However, the buffet is only on the weekends.

The water park is nice. Lots of chairs and shade provided. The kids enjoyed it and we enjoyed relaxing under the palm trees. No complaints there.

We stayed here in part because of the fitness center. We were so disappointed. They had 10 treadmills that were old and clunky. The belts were so narrow that I almost slipped a couple of times. They did not have tvs on the treadmills. Three of the ten had error messages and would not work. My husband's quit right in the middle of his run. So if a nice fitness center is important to you, this may not be your place. It did have tons of weights and other machines.

My other complaint is a huge pet peeve I have with hotels. That is when housekeeping does not come! Part of staying in a hotel is having someone else clean up after you. We returned to our room after a long day to find that it had not been cleaned. When I called to ask she said we must have had the do not disturb sign on when housekeeping passed by. We did have the sign on the door, however, we removed it before we left, about 1:00 pm. I feel it is their job to make sure that the room is cleaned regardless of when they "pass by". This was disappointing to me.

Overall, it was an enjoyable stay. We usually stay at a similar resort in Phoenix (Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak) and will probably return there instead of here, simply because of the fitness center and because the Hilton has a basketball court, which our kids love.

Room Tip: If you are going to use the water park, request a room close to it.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear kristint724,
Thank you for your remarks regarding your recent stay with the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit. You touched on many of our great amenities that better serve guests. I am sorry about the housekeeping issue you experienced. We will take your comments about the gym into consideration, as we discuss ways to improve our property. I am glad you enjoyed the resort overall. We hope you will consider us for your next visit to Phoenix.

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights with our teenage boys (17 & 14) and went to a Diamondbacks game on mini getaway. The length of our stay was just right. Anything longer would have been too long. We don't golf, so there was no allure there. The room was good size (we had the least expensive "suite") and the beds were comfortable. However, the sofa bed had a miserable mattress and each boy had to endure a night on it. The water park was not overcrowded and it was staffed well. My husband and I spent some time in the lazy river and the boys liked the slides. They were ready to leave though and were okay that we weren't staying longer. We got a "good" deal through the resort's Facebook page on Tuesdays. But, I didn't realize how expensive the restaurant in the hotel was ($150 after tip for dinner with no drinks; $40 for 3 muffins and fruit for breakfast). Also, no drinks or food can be brought into the waterpark and the prices are high ($40 for 2 sandwiches and nachos; our son wanted a small slurpee and it was $5). The gym was nice, but you have to be 16 to use the equipment. Our 14 year old wanted to jog on the treadmill since it was 113 degrees outside and that wasn't allowed, so it was a huge disappointment. I'm glad we went because it was fun, but we won't come again. Our curiosity has been satisfied.

1  Thank californiafudge

Dear Californiafudge,
Thank you for your remarks regarding your recent stay with the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit. Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I'm sorry that your son was disappointed in not being able to use the fitness center, we understand that. We will also look into the condition of our sofa beds. We hope you will return someday and give us another chance to wow you.