“I left the resort relaxed and in a great mood and ready to attack my Monday.”

Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
Ranked #30 of 175 Hotels in Phoenix
Gilbert, Arizona
“I left the resort relaxed and in a great mood and ready to attack my Monday.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2010

August 21, 2010-It has been a little over a week since we have been home from our Stay-cation at the Arizona Grand Resort. This was not our first time staying at the resort, we try to make it there for a family weekend at least once a year. We are still talking about our visit. We have some dear friends that also like the Arizona Grand, yet we are never able to go at the same time. This year we made a pact that we were going together.  We both have daughters about the same age so we were looking forward to a great time.

When we got there we were greeted by very friendly staff, we waited in line to get our rooms and the relaxation was starting to already set in. We were all ready for a fun time.  When we got to our adjoining rooms we realized that there was a maintenance issue in our room. I do not consider this the fault of the resort, things do break. The only reason that I would be an unhappy guest is the way that that the situation was being handled.

In this case I was not an unhappy guest.

I called the front desk and in a few minutes someone was at our door working on the issue. It was determined that this was not going to be a quick fix. I contacted the front desk and spoke to the Manager, Ryan Moyer and explained the situation. He was all about making sure that we were taken care of.   I explained to him that we had our best friends in the next room and that we would need to move together as this was a group trip.  He asked if he could call me back after he had a solution for us.

A few minutes later, Ryan called and said that he was going to be moving us and that a bell-person would be coming up to move all of our luggage. A few minutes later a friendly staff member came with our new room keys and we were off.

Ryan apologized for the problem in our room and said we would be happy where we were being moved to. We were, the rooms are great and we actually were a bit closer to the park. Ryan got us rooms that were attached which really made for a fun time.

The service was outstanding! You can tell that the staff really cares about the guests. I am surprised by some of the reviews that said the staff was rude because we experienced nothing but hospitable, friendly and over-the-top service throughout the entire complex.  We all enjoyed our breakfast in the restaurant. The majority of our group are all "Bacon Freaks" the bacon that was served with our breakfast was delicious! It was not your typical thin as paper bacon, it was thick, crisp bacon.

The price for the breakfast was very reasonable. The fresh squeezed orange juice was not served in a 4 ounce glass, which I appreciated. The small loaf of bread served with my breakfast was a nice touch.

The water slides are so much fun, this time we decided that this was going to be a very relaxing "lazy River" adventure.  I will say that as a parent, I appreciated and noticed the park's attention to safety. They had plenty of people working around the slides, the pools and the beach and the lazy river. . Also, this is a very clean water park, usually I am not a fan of water parks because they don't seem very clean to me.  The water was so clean and clear, it was great. This was a fun and relaxing Stay-cation. I left the resort relaxed and in a great mood and ready to attack my Monday. The Arizona Grand Resort was a great experience!

We all cant wait till next year to do it again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Fullerton, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2010

The big draw of the hotel is the Oasis Water Park. The water park is good on the weekdays, but on weekend it’s way too crowded. The lazy river requires everyone to be in an inner tube but there is not enough tube available. Those that manage to get a tube walk around the water park all day hanging on to the inner tube despite being constantly reminded on the loud speaker not to remove the tubes from the water area. Bars and eating area are filled with people having a drink but yet still want to hang on to the tubes. Staffs does not enforce the rules of having guest not take the tubes out of water but strictly enforce that no one goes into the 3 ft lazy river without a tube. Basically don’t expect to use the lazy river on weekend. The waves at the wave pool are tiny. Not really waves.

Big Con: The Island Night Buffet

On weekend they have something call Island Nights at the water park. They have Island Night Buffet; it’s a table consisting of salads, chicken nuggets and tater tots for $16.95 per person. After you get a paper plate for your food, you find out later that for $16.95 you get one trip to the buffet. I expect to be over charge for bad food at hotel but a buffet that allow you to go one time only is ridiculous.

5 Thank EvilLion
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2010

We stayed in the JR suite and it was very nice, comfortable and clean. I would highly recommend this resort. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Excellant service in the lobby bar. I recommend stopping in for a bloody mary.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MsRita56
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2010

The Arizona Grand plays movies at night by the pool, AT MAXIMUM VOLUME!! When we called to ask them to turn the sound down, they acknowledged that we weren't the only ones inconvenienced but claimed they didn't know how to get in touch with the people at the pool. When we spoke with the manager Adrian, he did turn the volume down SLIGHTLY, and then would not accept our call to turn it down more. We were told that the volume was at the "acceptable decible level for noise"!! When the movie ended at 10:00 we finally had peace, but we were all tired and cranky the next day over the hassle. We received a small credit for the disruption, but it was clear that management did not care that some of their guests could not sleep through the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack playing in their room!

1 Thank USisbest
resortgry, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 September 2010
I regret that this reviewer was not made aware of our Dive in Movies we play every Friday and Saturday night during the summer months. We did provide this guest with some compensation and I have tried to contact this reviewer directly so I may further understand the details of their experience.
Paul Gray
Waco, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2010

The entire stay was great. The rooms were outstanding. The food and staff were great.

Stayed February 2010
Phoenix
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2010

We spent a weekend there with some friends and all of us have kids. The waterpark filled up with so many people in the middle of the day (Saturday) that it became of concern for all of us. The wavepool has the whimpiest waves I have ever seen.

On the upside, the room was good for a family of four. We had a queen suite with pull out sofa which we used (however, when we pulled it open the sheets were folded over like they were fresh BUT there was a gum wrapper folded into them...it was not ours. The two beds were in a seperate room with a door and 2nd tv. The patio door opened up to a small patio which we used to help dry our swimsuits. Generally the room was clean. The queen beds were very comfy. We did the breakfast brunch in the lobby area which was fantastic! Best cinnamon rolls I have ever had.

I would not pay full price to stay there especially with the water park being so crowded. It was really a turn off towards the end of the day. One great thing about the water park is the large amount of lounge chairs and shade.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank LivinInAZ
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2010

10th year to visit Arizona (Prescott Valley) Last minute "trip" included 2 children (9 & 13) myself and my brother (the uncle). From the moment the first staff member said "hello" I knew that we were going to have a great get away. Food was great - best veggie burger I've had to date (pool side) plus portions were plenty. Everything was well maintained and I think customer service is A+ we are looking forward to returning and making this part of our annual trip.