“Relaxing stay”

Ranked #19 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Chandler, Arizona
“Relaxing stay”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

My husband and I had New Years Eve plans downtown so we decided to stay the night, instead of trying to find a cab to get home. Great choice! The location is right downtown & within walking distance to just about everything.

The room was a little small, but it was very clean, as were the bathrooms. Not only was the bed very comfortable, but so were the pillows (which I find never happens).

We paid extra to stay on the Club Floor which gives you access to the Club Room to relax or for breakfast and evening Hors d'oeuvres. We felt is was definitely worth the additional cost. Evening had little corn dogs, mushroom empanadas, hummus and chips, veggies w/ dip, cheese/crackers, soft drinks, water, espresso drinks and coffee at no charge. You did have to pay for alcoholic beverages. We had enough to eat so we skipped dinner. Breakfast had oatmeal, pastries, cereal, fruit, yogurt and the same drinks. We found it was more than adequate. The ladies running the room were seriously sweet! In fact, every member of the staff did a great job. They truly wanted to make sure we had a great stay.

We had one problem which was dealt with immediately, the shower wouldn't engage and stay on. We called guest services & within 5 minutes they were at our door. Another 2 minutes and the shower was working. This shows the level of service they provide. Bravo!

Since it was New Years, they had a great little band playing in their lounge, served champagne and handed out hats to everyone. The service was top notch, the girls were running their butts off to take care of everyone.

The only thing that keeps my review from being a 5 was the pool area. It was really small, the bar was closed & their idea of "heated" pool and mine are very different. It was so cold we couldn't get in it. These are minor issues though & would not keep me from staying there again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Nic_PHX, Rooms Management at Sheraton Grand Phoenix, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
We are delighted to hear that you and your husband were happy with your decision to stay with us on New Year’s Eve. We love that you found the hotel to be lively and fun.

As for the Club Level, thank you for letting us know that you felt it was a good value; as the Sheraton Club Lounge was designed to offer our guests a high level of comfort and convenience, as well as your own place to enjoy breakfast or a snack.

Hearing that our staff was responsive and kind throughout your stay was absolute music to our ears!

We know that you have many choices when it comes to hotels; we hope you will continue to choose us when you find yourself in the downtown area again. We look forward to future visits and connections.

The best to you both in 2014.

Rooms Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I'm beyond happy on my choice to stay at this hotel for many reasons but the most impressive was Sarah, Michelle and Doreen. Without these amazing woman my little ones Christmas spirit wouldn't be possible. I expressed my sadness to sarah that I was on call working for Christmas so my husband was brining our daughter from our house in Vegas to stay with me at the hotel for Christmas. I asked on Christmas eve when I checked in if there was any kind of packages that they offered to make it magical. There was no such package, but Sarah was very helpful and egar to help me going above and beyond. She had great ideas and even hand wrote a note to my daughter from elf on a shelf to have delivered to her at breakfast. Sarah even followed up to ask for Michelle and Doreen's help in the morning. We went for breakfast in the morning and there was a beautiful basket with treats and the note from our elf on a shelf. All three team members were so excited about it and blew me away with their creativity and compassion. I stay at hotels 3-4 days a week all over the world and never have I been so impressed. I truly believe all three team members should be recognized for keeping my little girls Christmas spirit alive. Thank you ladies, Merry Christmas and happy new year.
Alycia, Chris, Han and of course Melody!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Chrissylynnvo
Nic_PHX, Rooms Management at Sheraton Grand Phoenix, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Heartwarming!

Thank you so much for sharing those memorable moments about your stay here at Christmas. We will celebrate the recognition of our “elf” team – Sarah, Michelle and Doreen, with the rest of the team here.

How wonderful that you were able to experience the Sheraton spirit, in addition to the Christmas spirit, during your time here.

Enjoy the rest of the Holiday Season. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Tucson, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights over Thanksgiving. Hotel is in a good downtown location. Close to the Convention Center, sports venues and restaurants. Our King room was on the north side of the hotel. Decent view.

The big drawback was that we were above the outdoor terrace which was the setting for a function beginning at 10:30 pm. It included a live band which played until midnight. It was so loud we couldn't hear the TV. Wish we would have been told about this upon check-in as we would have requested a room away from the noise. This venue is below the west wing of the hotel. Not sure if being on the east wing would have helped.

The lobby area is good for just sitting and chatting, and having a drink from the bar. Because the is a non-smoking facility, the smokers had to go outside to smoke. Some chose to stand right outside the door and the smoke wafted into the lobby area. Our waitress had "security" go outside to tell the smokers to move away from the door. Once that was taken care, it was pleasant sitting in the lobby area.

Room Tip: Ask if there is anything happening on the outside terrace that would produce late night noise. If y...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Nic_PHX, Rooms Management at Sheraton Grand Phoenix, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
We’re so glad to know that you appreciated our location in the heart of the downtown area and that it made your stay that much more enjoyable…

Our Lobby, or THE PARK, as we call it, was created to give our guests the opportunity to connect – to home, to colleagues and to friends, both old and new. We are so happy to hear that was exactly your experience of it!

We hope you’ll drive up from Tucson again in the near future; we’ll be ready to welcome you back…

United States
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

I was unexpectedly held over due to mechanical problems on my flight in Phoenix. I should have just used the free voucher for the Comfort Suites the airlines provided. However, I decided to take a taxi & pay myself for the upgraded stay at the four star Sheraton downtown. Big mistake!!!!

For starters, I checked in at 10 PM exhausted! I turned the heat on and to 70 degrees and jumped under the covers. Around 3 AM I woke up freezing! I set the heat at 75 and thought it would be nice and warm when I woke up. Unfortunately, the heat was not functional in the room.

Needing to be at the airport early, wanting to get a few hours of sleep, I did not call engineering. I ran the hot water for 20 minutes & warmed up the bathroom before I showered.

The worst part of the night was I kept smelling something foul. Upon daybreak, I realized there was a stain of fecal matter on the comforter!!!! Disgusting!!!! Since I am a SPG Gold member, I would hate to think what a regular room would be like since my room was SPG Preferred!!!

A total waste of time, cab fare both ways and a night!!! Not what I had expected from a four star property.

Buyer beware!!! This property is the worst in the chain I have ever stayed at!!!

• Stayed December 2013
5 Thank Traveler_200950
Nic_PHX, Rooms Management at Sheraton Grand Phoenix, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
We are very sorry that you had such an unsatisfactory overnight stay with us. Since the airlines gave you no control over your flight situation, I am sure you would have appreciated having some control during your hotel stay. Our sincere apologies that you did not.

Our loyal SPG members are very important to us and therefore the feedback you provided is invaluable. Our Director of Housekeeping will obviously be most interested in what you had to say and knowing her, I am sure she will get to the bottom of what happened and ensure it doesn’t happen again.

We treasure our SPG Gold members and truly appreciate your business. Again, on behalf of the hotel, our sincere apologies for your experience here.

Laguna Niguel, California
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I was sick during me trip and Amelia made me feel comfortable and said she would "pray for my health". Very sweet and unexpected. Show'd lots of care. Hotel was decorated nicely and very clean. Very nice.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Nic_PHX, Rooms Management at Sheraton Grand Phoenix, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Jennifer,

That sounds like our Amelia – guest comfort and care are her highest priorities. Thank you for recognizing her. We feel fortunate to have her on the housekeeping team.

We hope you do indeed feel better now and we hope another trip to Phoenix and the Sheraton Phoenix is in your near future.

Best Wishes for a wonderful Holiday Season.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 14 December 2013

This would have been a 4 star review had it not been the terrible experience I had at the Sheraton Club Lounge. I'll never return as a result of this.

When I checked in, I was clearly told I would have access to the Sheraton Club Lounge as a member. I even verified on their website to ensure I had access. Next morning, I tried scanning my card and it wouldn't register. So I knocked once. No answer. Knocked again, no answer. Finally, a knocked a third time and a woman answered the door. I said "I'm so sorry, but for some reason my card isn't working." The woman gives me a dirty look and says "Well maybe you should go down and fix it." I was shocked at the lack of apology or even concern. She treated me like I was an inconvenience for her. I asked if I could fix it afterward because I was in a rush this morning and she just motioned me to come in without even saying anything.

So afterward, I just ate breakfast quietly and awkwardly as everyone had just witnessed the ordeal. The woman would make small talk with other guests, but with me, she ignored me. As other parties were leaving, the same woman would kindly tell them "Have a great day, thank you for coming." Then as soon as I left, she ignored me. I walked right pass her and not even a single acknowledgement. That was a bit telling.

At the end of my working day, I asked about the access with front desk. I was told it was for Platinum only. I'm one night shy of platinum. Of course, this is also different than what I was told during check in.

It isn't a matter about having access to the lounge or not, its the way I was treated in the process of this confusion. The woman working at the lounge was rude and clearly showed preferential treatment to other guests, whereas, I was considered an inconvenience because I simply knocked...mind you, three times, before someone even opened the door for me. I can easily find another hotel within this immediate area and not have to deal with: 1. Poor Service 2. Wrong information.

Service is important to me. I can easily find a hotel with the same convenience and standards. This hotel was convenient and clean, it served its purpose. But I also don't want to deal with bad service. Next time, I'll stay at the Westin.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Nic_PHX, Rooms Management at Sheraton Grand Phoenix, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
You are absolutely correct in saying that you should not have to deal with poor service, we apologize that it was your experience here; there is no excuse for rudeness to our valued guests.

Because you cared enough to let us know about what happened, we will seize the opportunity to do some training with our Club Lounge associates, and for that we do thank you.

On behalf of the Sheraton Phoenix, we are very sorry that your experience here was less than desirable.

We do understand that when it comes to hotels, there are many choices available to you,
and we know we can do better and would love to have another opportunity to provide the kind of exceptional service for which the Sheraton Phoenix is known.

Your business and your feedback are both genuinely appreciated.

Sedona, Arizona
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We were at this facility for 11 nights starting Thanksgiving. We found our suite to be comfortable, airy and spacious. We were treated to exceptional service throughout. We would especially commend Sarah N and Sarah F at the front desk, Doreen in the lounge, and Graciela and Erin in housekeeping. Everything was top notch. If I had a complaint at all, I would say that the breakfast in the dining room was prohibitively expensive unless you got the buffet.

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. It was wonderful to hear the recognition for our various staff members and the exceptional service they provided during your time with us. You can be sure we will celebrate these memorable moments with them.

You were with us for a nice long stay; how delightful to hear that you enjoyed all of it.

Until the next time…