“Overpriced, but very nice.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Grand Phoenix

Sheraton Grand Phoenix
Ranked #20 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
seattle
“Overpriced, but very nice.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2010

My wife and I went to a meeting at the hotel. The meeting facilities were very good, and the audiovisual equipment good. The facilities for this type of meeting are excellent and help to make the meeting successful.

The lobby is very spacious as are the open areas near the ballrooms. These areas are very attractive, clean and well lit. The hallways of the hotel are also well lit, attractive and clean.

The room was somewhat small, but the size you expect in a large hotel in a metropolitan area. The bathroom was appropriate and the amenities generous. The room and bath were well furnished and clean. The heating and air conditioning system was good, and easily controllable.

The internet service is pricey, but if you don't need to have it in your room, it is free in the lobby. The screens at the complimentary lobby computers are large, and the way things are programmed makes one comfortable with the system. Your browsing history is completely erased when you sign off. You may also use your laptop in the free computer area by Wi-Fi if you wish.

Our check in was uncomplicated. The check in clerk was very accommodating and the service with our bags was also very good and accommodating.

Right across the street is an open mall with many dining places and upscale shops. We found a wide choice of dining at very reasonable prices so did not eat at the hotel.

Our experience with this hotel was first class, but you expect that for the price. We were not disappointed in our stay but there are hotels within a block or two for much less money.

Bottom line is that this hotel is definitely a five star hotel, but pricey.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
leoper, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Phoenix, responded to this review, 1 March 2010
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent business stay with us. It sounds like overall you had a very successful meeting event.

As you may have guessed from your recent trip, Phoenix is growing by leaps and bounds, especially in the Downtown area. We feel honored to have been given the role as “anchor” to this area and are also a proud partner with the convention center in drawing many more thousands of people to our city.

That may have been one of the reasons you felt we were over-priced, but we hope the value of the dollars you paid to visit and stay here were well worth it.

Thank you again for visiting Phoenix and staying at the Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel.

Kind Regards,

LEO PERCOPO

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2010

This is a great downtown / convention hotel. Here are my pros & cons:
+Short taxi ride from the airport
+Speedy, friendly check-in
+Attractive, comfortable room with a 37” flat screen
+Funky internet café in the lobby, serving $2.00 Starbucks coffee (small) and $2.50 bananas
+Excellent food in the restaurant. 4 of us went for dinner, each had something different and it was all wonderful. Fabulous $16 breakfast buffet.
+$60 cab ride to the Phoenix Coyotes hockey rink… what a stylin’ rink it is at that! NHL hockey tickets start at just $20
+The convention food is First Class. I had the honor of meeting the person responsible, the Executive Chef.
+Large fitness center with lots of cardio and resistence equipment
-Overcharged by more than 30% on my $82 laundry bill. Too bad, so sad.
Aside from my laundry overcharge, this is a great hotel that I look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Maestro
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and the very positive comments.

We are especially glad that you were able to attend a Coyotes game and agree that their new arena is first class, a great place to catch a game!

We are also extremely proud of our Executive Chef Frank Belosic and were happy that you had a chance to meet with him and personally let him know what you thought of our food.

If the laundry charge was not resolved to your satisfaction, I hope you will let me know.

Kind Regards,

LEO PERCOPO
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2009

I stayed here three nights for a business convention. It's centrally located downtown and it's about 20 minutes from the Phoenix airport. The hotel staff was very friendly, helpful and was able to handle a large convention crowd of people checking in and out very quickly. They were efficient and got you your room key very quickly. The room key worked on the first try also. They really knew their jobs and the hotel wisely had several extra front desk clerks to handle the first day check in load. The entrance to the hotel has a large, covered valet area reminiscent of hotels in Las Vegas. There are quite a few capable valets eager to help you with your car/bags but were not overbearing, etc. There is also parking below the hotel that is accessed from this front area.

The room I stayed in was your typical business room, a somewhat tight, rectangular room but comfortable and very clean. Everything appeared to be brand new and the bathroom seemed to be recently updated. I was on the 14th floor and it had a nice view of the city and the mountains in the distance. My room had two queen beds which were very comfortable with alot of different types of pillows. There was a desk area and coffee station in the room along with Wi-Fi to access the Internet. (It was provided free to us during the convention but I'm not sure if you are charged as a regular traveler) There was a closet to hang clothes and dressers/nightstands, etc. The hotel provided our convention with breakfast and lunch and the food was excellent. The convention areas are massive and are located on the 2nd and 3rd floors, the lodging rooms above that. There is bar in the lobby that has lounge chairs, etc. to mingle and other restaurants but the drink prices were high at the hotel bar. There is a small convenience store located in the lobby area as well as free Internet printing kiosks so that you can print out documents like boarding passes, etc before heading out to the airport. If you are a sports fan, you are walking distance to the Diamondback's baseball stadium and the Sun's US Airways Arena. The hotel is about 25 minutes to the Cardinal's football stadium and about 30 minutes to Scottsdale. The only downside to this hotel would be the elevators. When the place is fully loaded with a conference, there is sometimes a considerable wait to get an elevator especially if you are on an upper floor especially during break times or the end of a day.

But, Phoenix is a weird town. It's a clean, safe city but there are no people walking around. It's dead both during the day and night. Even though you are "downtown", it doesn't seem like there's ever anything going on. The hotel is located near the Univ. of AZ downtown campus, but we didn't see that many college students. We found some restaurants didn't open until 5pm. One night, we went to a sports bar called Majerle's about a block from the US Airways Arena where a Sun's basketball game was going on. In the bar, there were only a few people there besides us and the area around the arena was a ghost town. It's almost like a Neutron bomb went off where the buildings are left standing but there are no people left. The weather was great that week in the 80s. There's very little traffic around town so getting to and from places is very easy.

Overall, it's a comfortable, clean hotel for business travelers and conventioneers . The location is close to the airport and the city downtown. Phoenix itself was somewhat disappointing.

1 Thank funhole
Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2009

We stayed here for a convention at the Phoenix Convention Center. The Sheraton is your typical business hotel. You pull up, the bell boy about gets run over trying to get you out of the car and get your bags out of the trunk. He says to go ahead and check in and he'll be there with our bags in our room. Check in was smooth, no glitches. Go to our room, within 5 minutes the bell boy is at our door with our bags. That was nice. We were on the 22nd floor and had a nice view of Phoenix. The room was very clean, though need to clean carpets, was a heavy traffic area at the door and going into bathroom. Which is odd for only being a year old, but tan carpet and shows everything. The bed is awesome. Had a perfect nights sleep every night. Even took apart the bed to see what brand it was to buy one at home. Other than that, I wasn't too impressed on the hotel. The service was great, but the price is expensive, for everything.

If you want to be "green" you can opt out of maid service and get a $5 card for a beverage which will cost you another $4 for one drink. The restaurant is over priced and never ate there because of it. We went across the street to the Arizona Center. There are a ton of restaurants over there for lunch and dinner. We had to walk around a bit to find breakfast and found a great place across the street from the Hyatt name Steve's Greenhouse Grill. They opened at 6:30am and only 3 blocks from the Sheraton. Internet is $12.95 a day. And I understand that people that travel a lot usually have their own internet, but those who don't, that's outragegous.

Location is great for the Convention. 2 short blocks. Phoenix has an issue with pan handlers. Within those 2 blocks you will probably get asked at least 3 times for change. Nightlife seemed good for dinner, but not night clubs, which is just fine by me. There were no ball games that week otherwise I think it would be swamped. Wanted to go to Hard Rock, but never got there. There is not a lot of shopping opportunities at this time, but heard that there will be in 2010.

Like I said before, it was ok for a business hotel and convention. But if I were to stay in Phoenix for pleasure I would stay at a resort and enjoy the golf and relaxation. Overall yes, it's a good hotel just very expensive for basic things.

5 Thank bleachergal
Little Rock, AR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2009

As a "green" hospitality/marketing professional I am always looking for those programs that exemplify social responsibility in a hotel or resort. I stayed at this property for a week and must say from the staff to the level of service provided everything was very nice. I especially loved the $5 credit per night by participating in their towl and linen program. They are a short one block walk to the convention center and across from great restaurants. A great business hotel, just a short ride from the airport. I'd love to see them get rid of their plastic water bottles in their guest rooms to really further their green efforts.

Traverse City, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2009

I'm a gen. mgr. of a small northern Michigan Best Western and I've gotta
let readers know how this hotel's staff impressed me. Every encounter from
bellmen, front desk, concierge, housekeepers, and Stacy in the Club
Lounge were very professional and you could really tell they enjoyed
their jobs. I spent a good hour chatting with Stacy and this gal is
going places. I hope Leo (the gen. mgr.) is paying her well cause I told
her if she can stand the snow in the winter she can have a job at our
hotel. She is just bubbling with personality and you can truly tell how
much she loves working there. She told me about how much her gen. mgr.
does for his staff, his humble beginnings, and how much they love him.
That really impressed me and I told her she embodies what we at our
hotel call "heroic hospitality". I hope you really appreciate the asset
you have, she's a gem. I also want to tell you about a housekeeper, and
I hope I spell her name correctly, Shaquel. Late around 11 pm I stepped
out of my room to find a snack and she happened to be right outside my
door way going into their employee break room. I asked where the snack
machines was and she asked what I was looking for. I replied, something
like a candy bar. She said they had them in the break room and would go
get me one. I asked how much, grabbed her the money, and in a flash she
was back with a Snickers and then handed me a bottle of water to wash it
all down. Above and beyond on service! She could easily have brushed me
off and sent me down the hall or whereever they keep the snack machines
for guests, but instead, took a few minutes out of her job to impress a
guest. These are just two examples of the staff amongst many I
encountered. I know they may feel like they are just "doing their job",
but being a guest, instead of the general manager, inspired me to be
sure these little things are not overlooked at our hotel. Leo, you have
a wonderful bunch of people, and from the spotless rooms, and everything
else I encountered you will do well and I have no hesitation
recommending this hotel, especially if you travel on business. Keep up
the great job, and tell Stacy she is always welcome to come to Traverse
City, MI and we will have a job waiting for her! Russ W. Cole, General
Manager, Best Western Four Seasons. Sorry, earlier review got deleted because I didn't see email about verifying ownership.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank RWCole
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2009

I stayed here for two nights and used the hotel for sleeping and breakfasting only. It provided everything I needed for a business trip and I found the staff to be helpful, efficient and a pleasure to deal with. It's very much a bustling business hotel and I would find it an unpleasant place to be for leisure, but since Phoenix has nothing to attract the leisure visitor this point is probably moot. The hotel is overpriced.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
leoper, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Phoenix, responded to this review, 2 November 2009
We are so pleased that you found our hotel such an ideal location for your business trip. Since we are a few blocks from the convention center, we are proud to partner with the City of Phoenix in hosting so many important and exciting business groups to our downtown area.

Now that our beautiful weather is upon us and will be with us for the next several months, there will be many opportunities for the leisure traveler as well. Our location would also be ideal as your home if you wanted to schedule a few day trips to either the north or south of Phoenix and explore this great state.

In any case, business or leisure, we look forward to welcome you back home.