“Great Hotel, location, staff and amenities, nice addition to Phoenix”

Sheraton Grand Phoenix
Ranked #16 of 173 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 19 May 2010

I am a Sheraton guy, and travel allot for both business and pleasure so not easily impressed, but this Hotel made an impression !!! Beautiful rooms, comfortable beds and great service staff.
This will be my choice from now on whenever I travel to Phoenix.
Best "Link" I have seen very roomy, great Starbucks bar, could spend all day there working. First class fitness center also.

Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,660)

Reviewed 15 May 2010

Overall great property for convention or business.
PROS--
Service is exceptional, particularly their concierge staff.
Room is comfortable and stylish with comfortable beds and flatscreen TVs
Location is great for convention center, baseball, basketball arenas, movies, live theater and some great restaurants. Our favorites were the Greek and Mexican place across the street and the Thai Elephant about 10 minutes walk away thru a nice area.
Rooms are super clean and quiet.
Exercise facility is outstanding and they don't charge extra to use it.
If you chose to not have daily cleaning service you can get Sheraton points or a $5 certificate for the bar.

CONS--
Internet is $13/day.
Closet/drawer space is very limited.
There is no refrigerator or microwave.
Parking is very expensive
Hotel itself does not have many eating options so you have to venture out for lunch during your conference in AZ heat.
Pool is small and more geared for adults. If you enjoy a quiet relaxing experience this is it but if you have kids they may require more.
Hotel breakfast is expensive. If you have kids better to stay at the Marriott Fairfield up the street with free breakfast. If you are on business and can add it to your room, Lynx Cafe is fine for breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Tzankster
leoper, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Phoenix, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2010

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. We appreciate the time taken out of your busy schedule to provide us with feedback, which we always feel is a gift.

It was gratifying to hear that our concierge staff provided such exceptional service during your stay here and that you found everything you used – fitness center, pool, etc, to be in good order and enjoyable. That same concierge staff can certainly emphasize more family-friendly activities and places in the Downtown area should you decide to visit us again for pleasure instead of business.

In either case, we certainly look forward to extending a warm welcome upon your return!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 14 May 2010

From the moment I arrived I was treated wonderfully! The room was beautiful overlooking the amazing pool!
I enjoyed working out in a top-notch work- out facility.
Room service was great including pool side delivery!
When I decided to explore the city I was given excellent advice on where to eat and sites to visit as well as how best to get there.
What was a business trip turned into more of a vacation due to the excellent service I received during my stay at the lovely Phoenix Sheraton.
The only negative was having to pay for in- room internet service. It was free for a small time frame in the business center.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. We appreciate the time taken out of your busy schedule to write and provide us with feedback, for which we are grateful.

It was an extreme pleasure to hear that your “business” trip actually felt more like a vacation! It was our pleasure to ensure you were well taken care of – business OR pleasure, and I’m pleased that the high service standards to which we aspire, were in place and contributed to a really enjoyable stay for you. It sounds like you enjoyed exploring our beautiful city as well.

Again, we thank you for letting us know about your recent stay. We look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 6 May 2010

Everything is brand spanking new and works. Housekeeping service was excellent, as well as room service. Very convenient to Convention Center. Bed and pillows very comfortable. The activity in the lobby is brisk nightly and a fun place to hang out with friends. Health club is very nice. Business center has free online computer use and many stations. Never had to wait. Thoroughly enjoyed stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
leoper, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Phoenix, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2010

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. We appreciate the time taken out of your busy schedule to provide us with feedback.

It was a pleasure to hear that our service standards provided you with an experience you considered exceptional. That is music to my ears and I am thoroughly pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. I especially liked that you mentioned that our lobby was a fun place to hang out with your friends. We believe in working hard, but we also believe in having fun and to hear both were displayed by our associates during your stay is gratifying.

Again, thank you for the feedback and we do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 29 April 2010

Sheraton Downtown is centrally located to multiple sporting arenas, and other attractions. Downtown does not offer much for entertainment other than sports. There are few restaurants. We dined at the hotel restaurant "District" our first night. This is my only critisism of this hotel. The food sounded good, but was so salty and oily it really wasn't even edible! Across the street there is a cute little "mall" which has a few restaurants..we ate at the Greek one. It was good. Food was well prepared and healthy, nice atmosphere too. The staff throughout the hotel are all very friendly and helpful. The pool area is nice. The gym is very good, offering not only several types of cardio equipment, but also several weight machines, free weights bands, balls, etc. It is very clean. If you want more there is a YMCA four blocks away that is very nice, and offers many group fitness classes like cycling, yoga, etc. The hotel is only 3 blocks from the light rail, which gives an economical method of travel to explore other locations if you do not have a car. Tempe, is a 20 min ride on the light rail. There one can rent a bike and ride around the lake. Bicycle Cellar is located ajacent to the Veteran's Station. They very helpful and nice, as well as resonable in pricing. Tempe was a nice little town to explore and has a lovely campus. The city Zoo and Botanical gardens are easily accesable from here too. The Botanical Gardens are pretty neat if you are not from an area with cactus. It is well layed out and very interesting. There is also Mesa, which we did not visit...but it would have been only three more stops from the light rail.

2  Thank froggysue
leoper, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Phoenix, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2010

Response to: Lovely hotel, but do not eat in the restaurant

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. Your feedback is truly appreciated and a great gift that allows us to get better.

It was gratifying to hear that, in addition to exploring our hotel, you also had time to explore the area, using a couple of different modes of transportation, making for a really well-rounded trip. I always think that is an ideal way to vacation.

Regarding your comment on the meals in our restaurant, please be informed that we have recently converted to our new light Spring/Summer menu, featuring some wonderful new summer salads and vegetarian dishes! Our chefs have created a truly innovative new menu that incorporates fresh products indigenous to the Southwest. We think you would be impressed and invite you to re-visit the restaurant the next time we welcome you back to town.

Again, thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write us. We do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 27 April 2010

Check was easys, the bell people were friendly, the room was ok. There just wasnt anything to make me want to return. I was here for a conference and I just got the feeling that it is a very generic hotel with not too many repeat travelers.

The next time I come to Phoenix I'd rent a car and stay at one of the nicer resorts for a few dollars more and really enjoy the experience.

4  Thank beachtravel
leoper, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Phoenix, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2010

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. Your feedback is truly appreciated.

Your comment about not being sure you would want to return got me thinking: it does appear that both downtown Phoenix and the Sheraton Phoenix Downtown hotel are growing up together. I can tell you that the downtown area is undergoing an exciting revitalization, and more people in our valley are making downtown their destination choice, which of course makes us work even harder to make our hotel one of their destinations. Not only do we attract large convention business, but we also pride ourselves that families come down to watch baseball or basketball at one of the venues close-by, catch a theater show or concert, or visit a museum. Our restaurant has also become a downtown hot spot, with jazz on Saturday nights and a new spring/summer menu that is hard for foodies to resist.

If you do decide to give us another try, we recommend you stop by the concierge desk and gather some recommendations for events and activities; all I am sure you will find within easy walking distance from the hotel.

Again, thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write and give us feedback on our hotel. We do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 13 April 2010

The Sheraton downtown phoenix is not a bad place to stay, although I prefer to stay at the Hyatt Regency even though I am a Starwood Platinum Preferred Guest and enjoy amenities for that at the Sheraton.

The property itself is very nice. Rooms are modern and well decorated. It has a viable restaurant as far as Starwood Hotels go. There is a nice pool. The lobby is also very nice. The colors and decor throughout the hotel is friendly and warm, which makes this hotel a pleasant place to stay. The beds are very comfortable. The bathrooms are also well done. While Sheraton is usually one of Starwood's lesser brands, this Sheraton is pretty much Westin quality as far as the rooms go.

There are 3 issues though which reduce my rating:

1) Service. I have had several issues with service in this hotel and get the impression they don't really care about customer satisfaction. One is the room service dining. I have on multiple occassions tried to order chocolate cake with a scoop of ice cream. They won't give me a scoop of ice cream because it isn't in the description and insist on charging an extra $8 to buy an entire pint of ice cream. However, they do serve single a single scoop of ice cream with the apple pie. This intransigence is completely ridiculous, and non service oriented. Also the doormen never offer to carry your luggage to the room unless you actually ask them.

2) Treatment of loyal guests. I used to stay at this hotel every week. However, there were a number of occassions during conferences where they were busy and charged higher prices for the rooms (which were nonetheless still available). I asked the front desk if they could give me the usual corporate rate since I am a regular guest and they refused saying they were sold out at the corporate rate.

3) Maintenance. Most of the shower heads in this hotel are clogged at the edges which means instead of getting a cone-shaped spray from the shower head, you get a narrow spray which means you need to move around a lot in the shower. This could easily be fixed, and I don't understand why they don't just do it.

5  Thank Batman75
leoper, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Phoenix, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2010

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. Your gift of feedback is truly a gift and very much appreciated. In fact our engineering department has already received work orders to inspect and fix any shower head issues that they may encounter during this inspection.

We also want to assure you that we never take guest loyalty for granted. We appreciate your business and want you to return and we want to make it easy for you to do business with us. Our In Room Dining Managers will ensure that the scoop of ice cream issue is resolved; who can eat a piece of cake without a scoop of ice cream? Not me.

You are welcome to call me directly and we can discuss the potential opportunities for a negotiated rate if at all possible.

We thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you home on many future visits.