“The ORIGINAL- the Cornerstone”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Garcia's

Garcia's
Ranked #1,689 of 3,054 Restaurants in Phoenix
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican
Xinbei, Taiwan
“The ORIGINAL- the Cornerstone”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

Let’s get the story straight. Garcia’s started as a family “restaurant” in 1956. From its humble beginnings (a taco stand), it grew into 3 locations in the valley. Finally, from there, it ballooned into a national chain. There was a reason: it really was some of the best Mexican food you could find outside of Mexico- or even inside of Mexico! Eventually, the Garcia family sold the chain to Garcia’s (of Scottsdale) and only kept this one, The ORIGINAL, restaurant that still belongs to the family. If you visit any other Garcia’s in the Valley they are not the original. If you use any coupons, those are not the original. And, contrary to one reviewer, this place has been in this location far longer than 20 years because I ate there when I was a child- and that’s a lot longer than 20 years ago. And because of that, the Valley grew up around this place meaning it’s not in the best part of town, not that it ever was in a great part of town. But I’ve visited at night and didn’t feel unsafe other than trying to get out of the parking lot onto 35th Avenue. This is not “old-town”/ Scottsdale. This is not corporate “Mall” food. Now that the historical stage is set for a review of the ORIGINAL Garcia’s of Arizona at 2212 N. 35th Avenue, let’s start.

We went toward the end of lunch. You miss the crowds and you can still get the lunch specials. As is the case with most Mexican restaurants, you get tortilla chips with two kinds of red salsa to start. The chips were excellent (chip lover here) as usual, and not too oily or over/under cooked. The chunkier salsa is my favorite as the other has too much of vinegar taste to me, and is a tad too spicy for this stomach anymore.

As I was the driver, I had to pass on any cocktails, but my dining companion had tea. My companion ordered a cheese enchilada ala carte which came with rice and beans. My companion, who has eaten at the ORIGINAL more years than I have, enjoyed every bite. There is enough cheese to qualify as a cheese enchilada; the tortilla is secondary. Furthermore the cheese is not too salty meaning you don’t need endless refills of tea.

If there is one thing I miss about Arizona, it is Mexican food, in particular, THIS restaurant as it’s the cornerstone from which I judge. Thus, I had my usual combination platter (#10) with a taco, cheese enchilada, and chili relleno. The rice, although overcooked by Asian standards, is ok for Mexican food. It’s mildly spiced and not particularly outstanding. The beans were almost in a puree, which may or may not suit some tastes, but still with chunks of bean to be seen and enjoyed. As I’m not much of a pinto bean person, this was fine as I used the chips and made mini-tostadas with some of the cheese dripping from the enchilada. The chili relleno was fine, but a bit overcooked and with a smaller chili than if you order it ala carte. It lacked the zing of chili flavor from being overcooked: the cheese was a bit overpowering. The taco was also fine, but could have done with a bit more chicken and a bit less cooking of the shell.

Mind you, for me at least, this was/is “fast food” Mexican in a restaurant setting. The food (never have gotten past the combination platters) reflects that and always has. That’s fine. That’s its market. If you are looking for avant garde, Santa Fe or Tex-Mex or some kind of fusion, you’re going to be disappointed. But for good, solid, filling Sonoran style Mexican, it still remains my standard- only because of so many visits; there is a place in Tucson that, well …

Yes, the servers are almost all Mexican/Spanish speakers nowadays and can be rude and/or obnoxious thinking you can’t understand them because you don’t look or sound Latino. Our server was fine and did her job quite satisfactorily. She was tipped accordingly.

When I crave Mexican, I try really hard to go to the ORIGINAL Garcia’s. It’s on my agenda with every visit to the Valley. For price and value no other “real fast food” can compare. The atmosphere is what you make it. (The visit prior to this, the mariachi band played.) It is family owned and operated, not corporate food! And for hearty Sonoran Mexican fare, it can’t be beat.

• Visited August 2013

Florissant, Missouri
“Excellent food !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

The food was very tasty and I hear the margeritas were good too. I didn't get to have one as I was driving :( Our server was very nice and asked where we were from. I'd like to go back again.

Visited October 2013
Tucson, Arizona
“Good food - the kids love it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

We have lived in Mexico and the kids love to go back to Garcia's anytime they have a chance for its good authentic food and good service. The service was attentive, the food copious and we ended up paying less than $100 for 7 people!

• Visited August 2013
Colorado
“Still a good west side gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

This restaurant has been at this location for at least 20 years and is still hanging on. Whenever I am in town, I stop by to verify this. There ambiance is what it always has been, some of the same servers who have been working there for years are still there and it is worth the visit. Go check it out! Pollo Fundido is a staple on the menu and worth the try!

Visited May 2013
Georgetown, South Carolina
“Unchanged Excellence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

I love this place! It is NOT related to the chain - except for the names the chain bought. I used to eat here regularly, and picked up food on the way home from my evening job in their separate take-out facility.

The staff is attentive, the service is prompt, and the food is plentiful and good. The chips and salsa are as I remembered - great. What more can one ask?

Visited May 2013