“Interesting, but a little dry”
Review of Heard Museum

Heard Museum
Ranked #3 of 230 things to do in Phoenix
More attraction details
Owner description: The foremost showcase of Native American art and culture in the U.S., the Heard Museum reveals the cultures of tribes in the region through exhibits, demonstrations and live performances and displays the work of contemporary Native American artists. Artists demonstrate their work during the week and musicians perform on most weekends.
Reviewed 19 August 2014

From all that I heard in the reviews of this museum, I may have set my level of expectations too high. There are many, many artifacts to look at, especially clothing and jewelry, and I did find the school children exhibit to be particularly interesting, but there were not many interactive opportunities, and I found myself a little bored. Admittedly, I'm not into reading exhibit after exhibit for hours, and it's probably just not the museum for me, but it was not inexpensive to go, and I feel that I could have better spent my money elsewhere, like the Musical Instrument Museum perhaps.

1  Thank vabeachgrl_02
There are newer reviews for Heard Museum

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I went with my mother in June to this very amazing museum.

I found this to be a very eye opening experience. Especially the school children exhibit. It is eye opening to the terrible treatment that existed, to the people who are native to this land.

There was so much to experience at this museum I would have loved to spend more time there, we spent over three hours.

I also have a new addiction to Hopi dolls because of this place.

Overall a very educational experience that I think anyone should experience if you find yourself in Phoenix AZ.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We started our trip to Arizona by visiting this museum which gave great background to understand all we have seen while we travelled around Arizona and Utah. Very informative guided tours are included in ticket price. Quite a few attractions for children of all ages.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I happened to arrive at 4pm, and expected the museum to be closing, but was thrilled to find that the final hour of the museum is FREE! And I was able to see all the exhibits I was interested in, the collections were superb, and the information was well laid out. It was also a cool respite from the 112 degree heat outside!
My only disappointment was that the shop was really expensive, I needed to get some little trinkets but felt the main offerings were for the higher end purchaser.

2  Thank Tokyo_Mum
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Went on 2 guided tours 45 minutes each. The guides were excellent and made the visit more enjoyable and informative. There is so much to see at the Heard, but the guides give you a great overview and then you can wander on your own or when you return .