“Terrible Pillows”

Ranked #45 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
sapo60
“Terrible Pillows”
Reviewed 20 October 2011

This is a hotel with great rooms and good customer service, having said that, the pillows in the room are the hardest and most uncomfortable I have ever slept on, and I spend over 100 nights a year in hotels. It appears others have also complained as when I told the front desk personnel, they said others have issued the same criticism and they will be changing their pillows in January. I would recommend avoiding this hotel in January 2012.

2 Thank sapo60

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Boston
Reviewed 20 October 2011

I don't see this faux-boutique decor as an issue. I think it works great when compared to other mid-grade or economy options. This place is extremely clean, well appointed, unique, very accessible from the airport - they have a free shuttle, the bed was extremely comfortable and the way its set up really maximizes the square footage. They have a made to order breakfast bar with fresh, healthy options. A pool table in the lobby, ample lounge seating . . . My only complaints - the bar closed at 11 PM (I assume because it was dead on a Wednesday night) and it's a little noisy by the airport ,but that's to be expected. I would not only stay at an Aloft Starwood hotel again, but I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank FMDtraveler
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 20 October 2011

This is a typical Aloft hotel but always enjoyable. Staff friendly, nice Happy Hour, solid accomodations, close to light rail and airport connections. Minor downside: area was commercial/industrial so not that attractive. Overall a nice stay ...

Room Tip: Ask for room on pool or parking lot side as Washington Ave can be noisy at times
1 Thank Fischstix
Germantown, MD
Reviewed 15 October 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Aloft on the last night of our one week trip to Arizona. We chose this property due to it's proximity to the Phoenix airport. There is nothing wrong with this hotel - it was clean and had the employees were friendly - we were just not very impressed. Part of the problem, for us, might be that we live in DC where there are great, boutiquey hotels. This Aloft just felt like it was trying way too hard for that boutique feel and falling flat. It seemed to me like a very average hotel whose mgmt did not want to put in the money to make it nicer so they made it "different" with 70's style decorating and an attempt at a retro feel. We went to the bar, for a drink before heading out to dinner, during happy hour. I asked the bartender what the happy hour wines were (they were not listed anywhere); she did not bother to tell me that the ones I chose was not a special. I noticed it when I signed the check. We paid $159 for our stay - for that amount I would suggest a hampton or that type of place.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Patti H, Manager at Aloft Phoenix-Airport, responded to this review, 18 October 2011
I can certainly understand your thoughts, as the DC area has lovely boutique hotels. Aloft Hotels have an easy breezy modern style to them, a bit of a twist for the traveler with an open great-room concept, high ceilings, uncluttered rooms, and great use of space. You are right, it is not your typical traditional boutique hotel. I do want to thank you for chosing us while visiting Phoenix for the week. Maximizing your dollar is important, and we do offer great values that you can find by searching our offers page on our website. As for happy hour, I'm sorry our bartender wasn't more clear as to which wines were included. Please let me know the next time you visit and I'll be happy to take care of your order personally. I really appreciate that you took the time to share your experience with us. We will use your feedback in many positive ways. I hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

All the best,
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Perfect spot near the airport, Light Rail, and ASU. Hotel was perfect in every way and the staff went above and beyond to make my stay memorable. I travel on business and also like to practice yoga when I travel and Joy at the front desk made sure I had yoga information when I checked in. This will be my hotel of choice when traveling to the Phoenix area.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank yogatraveler30
Thank you so much for your review and feedback. As the General Manager of the Aloft Phoenix Airport, we take alot of pride in understanding our customers needs and delivering great service, and it sounds like Joy did just that. I will pass along my thanks to her as well. Guests love the fact that we are positioned right on the light rail stop, outside the airport, and with all day light rail passes at only $3.50, our guests use it to go into Tempe and downtown Phoenix on a regular basis. It's so convenient. We look forward to taking care of you again on your next visit to Phoenix.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 4 October 2011

My wife and I came into town for a wedding and we were attending an ASU game as well. The proximity to the light rail was GREAT! We could hop on and take it to downtown Phoenix or to downtown Tempe. The hotel itself had a great lobby, great pool and great retro/urban rooms which was a nice change of pace to the traditional hotel room. Definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The higher up rooms give you a great view of the valley in any direction.
2 Thank Brian B
Thank you so much for your review. Phoenix in October is a beautiful time of year for a wedding, I'm sure the setting was spectacular. We will be here for you and your family during each and every special moment in your lives. Consider Aloft Phoenix Airport your home away from home when you travel.

Edinburg, Virginia
Reviewed 24 September 2011

When we walked into this hotel it was like none other we have seen. With its hip decor and friendly staff we felt like we entered a nightclub. This was more than just a place to lay your head. The beds are very comfortable and there are little surprises at every turn. Free Wi-Fi and shuttle service is nice. You are right outside of the Light Tram (kind of like a trolley system) and within walking distance to a Ruby Tuesday. I suggest taking the Tram into Tempe and shopping and dining. I only wish there were more Alofts out there. When you are in the elevator make sure to look at the floor and move your feet around. Where you step turns whiteish and the black style lighting is cool. There is a pool but we did not use it.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple