“Weird, Over-Trendy, Noisy”

Ranked #35 of 175 Hotels in Phoenix
King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
“Weird, Over-Trendy, Noisy”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2011

I'm not a design guru, but I feel that I have a good design aesthetic. I think that this hotel is uber-weird. It's like the designers pulled a page from a bunch of disparate design books and meshed it all together. There are several different color palettes in the room, none of them quite gel together. I feel like I'm in a nightclub that you're supposed to sleep in.

My room faced south and all I could hear was traffic and plane noise. You'd think an airport hotel would invest in noise-proof windows.

The amenities in the room are nice enough, free bottled water is always a nice touch. The bed isn't that comfortable, and there aren't enough pillows . I don't like the bulk shampoo and soap dispensers in the shower. How am I supposed to supplement my hotel shampoo and soap collection if there aren't any individual containers?

I don't think I plan on staying at another Aloft.

Room Tip: Book a room at the Marriott instead.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank ksbrownutah
Dehn B, General Manager at Aloft Phoenix-Airport, responded to this review, 26 December 2011
Dear ksbrownutah:

Thank you for taking the time to leave some comments regarding your recent stay! I am very sorry that our hotel did not exactly suit your tastes. The Aloft Brand is certainly unique – in fact we take pride in the fact that we are something different, and most of our guests appreciate our fresh style and urban edginess. I am pleased that you were happy with some of the aspects of your experience with us, and I am sorry that we didn’t more completely fulfill your expectations. As the sixth largest city in the United States - the Valley of the Sun offers a wide array of accommodations to suit every taste. Please come visit again….and enjoy the beauty that only the Sonoran Desert can offer!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Royal Oak, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

I stayed at the Aloft right near the airport. The shuttle was great. My room was a little worn out. I liked the style and the room was highly functionable. The workout facilities were fine too, albeit a little limited. My major complaint was the noise level of my room. I had a room facing the road which was noisy for most of the night. I was on the 4th floor. I would ask for a room that faced the other side of the hotel which I imagine is much less noisy.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

We stayed because we were in Phoenix one night and wanted to be close to the airport, they have a free shuttle to and from the airport. It was walking distance to the skytrain/metro. The lobby has a small bar and a lounge-y area with a pool table which is great before and after a night out. The ambience was just really relaxed. When we checked in the receptionist handed us a copy of Spin and Wired magazine, and I noticed she was doing this with everyone, which just added to the hip ambience. Our room had Bliss toiletries which was great! Our room was fresh and clean. The arrangement made full use of the small quarters, which if we were staying for longer than the one night we stayed, may have been frustrating, but for one night and light packers it did the job.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Rancho Cucamonga, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

I was pleasantly surprised by the hip decor and construction of the lobby area and the bar. It wasn't very large but everything was situated perfectly, with a pool table in the bar area.

There was a Grab n' Go section in the lobby for quick eats for sandwiches, salads, snacks and hot breakfast in the morning.

The rooms are small but the configurations were so perfect that we never felt cramped. No bathtubs but large showers w/bath gel and shampoo/conditioner dispensers.

There was a universal audio/video connection box on the work desk, So that you could connect your iPod, iPad, computer or whatever to view on the flat screen TV.

We requested a late check-out and the answer "Sure, how about 2pm".

The decor was very mod/hip. Blackout shades too.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank lovetohittheroad
virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

2nd stay at this Aloft. They have a shuttle that runs to the airport and does require a reservation (just to make sure they have enough space). So close, it is very quick to get to the airport. They have coffee on hand and offer a variety of items for purchase. They do have a small bar in lobby area and a pool table. Computers are available to print boarding passes. Coffee maker in your room with a small fridge and a great flat screen tv. Love the hip urban vibe. Phoenix local metro/railstop right in front of hotel. They also have very comfy beds. I am not sure they have room service as they have a 24 hr. self service area in the lobby.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Annette A
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

We stayed here in September for one night - flying between Hawaii and Austin. Our flight was delayed coming into Pheonix and we arrived at around 2 am! Aloft was great- they paid for our taxi to the hotel since the shuttle wasn't running, had some snacks left that we could nosh on in the cafe and gave us a great room by the elevator. Normally those are a little loud, but it was no problem - after a long, delayed flight we slept great in the comfy beds.

Loved the Bliss products (although I really do prefer a separate shampoo and conditioner) and very glad coffee was available in the room. Wish there was more breakfasty foods available later in the morning (jet lag). Really loved the way the room was laid out and it was squeaky clean. Do not think it would work for a long stay, we carry too much luggage, but for a quick overnight it was perfect and we would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

Aloft Phoenix
The Aloft hotels are a great concept - standard, efficient accommodation in handy locations at a good price.
They're for the people on the move: from an Aloft you can easily get to where you need to be.
But unlike several other hotels of this kind, they are not those anonymous and depressing places. On the contrary, Aloft hotels are young, vibrant, with a catchy design and all the services you need. Including a cool bar (xyz), a good fitness room, and a nice lounge/lobby which is actually pleasant and warm.
The smart thing about Aloft is that all hotels are basically identical. Once you've been to one, you know how they work and you easily find what you need, without surprises.
The Aloft Phoenix is very close to the airport; a free shuttle will take you to/from the airport or any other place within a couple of miles. It's also next to the train stop to downtown Phoenix, and a few buses stop there too. So if you don't have a car you won't be disappointed.
The staff is very friendly and efficient; the rooms are like all other Alofts: smart, cool and just perfect to crash after a long day or a long flight. The bed is very comfortable, one of the best for this class of hotels. The pillows though are a bit hard - the must be foam, and as already noted they're not the best you can find. The bathroom is cleverly designed, with the sink in an open area and the shower and toilet area can be closed with a sliding door. It doesn't offer full privacy though, but nevertheless it can be shared with a travel companion if you need to. Bliss products are a nice touch, and in your room you will also find free bottled water, a coffe/tea set and some cool recent magazines (like Wired).
This Aloft has also a nice outdoor patio with swimming pool. Nothing fancy, but just perfect to relax outside and cool down.
The fitness room is small but good - a few treadmills, a multi functional exercise machine and a few other accessories (weights, balls).
In the morning there are also hot breakfast item to buy at re:fuel, the "grab and go" food concept of Aloft. Other items are available 24 hours so no matter when and how you get there, you won't starve.

So if you need a place close to the airport where you won't feel depressed the Aloft is a perfect choice. Add the friendliness of the staff and the hip factor which Aloft has inherited from the W hotels and you're all set!

• Stayed November 2011