“OK Room, good price, clean”

Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Deer Valley
Ranked #117 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I would stay again as the price is right.
This hotel is ok, it is not the best or newest but it is clean and reasonably comfortable, the price is very good.
Front Desk couldn't check me in because she was running an "audit" (?) on one of the computers and the other was out of paper and I had to come back in 45 min. I am not sure why you would do something that would not allow you to check guest in so early when it could be done in the wee hours.
I booked double queen beds but they were actually full size.

The beds were very firm but the pillows were ok.

More road noise than I would have liked to hear.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ryan K
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Deer Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that you had to wait to be checked in. I have addressed the staff regarding your concerns to ensure your experience is not repeated. Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at pdv@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Cari Robertson

There are newer reviews for Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Deer Valley

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Let me start off by saying I stay at Extended Stay America (ESA) hotels most of the year in various locations for business. My employer has direct billing with ESA and since I am staying in an ESA for months, my employer gets a discounted rate that other hotels can't come close to. ESA is definitely not my 1st choice in extended stay hotels Marriott's TownesPlace or Residence Inn are MUCH better with service and room ambience then ESA will ever be, even after ESA's 'renovations'. Okay, now to my review of this location.

This ESA is the worst I have stayed in and I have stayed at ALOT of them. A major fault with this hotel is they overbook. When I checked-in, I was told the only room left would be a Smoking room even though my employer made a reservation weeks in advance. Yep, told me they over-booked and it was the last room that day. So it is 1st come, 1st served here (weeks later I was standing in line at the front desk and they were telling another customer they overbooked). Nice way to start here. So for 3 days I stayed in a Smoking room. They gave me some ferbreeze, but it didn't work. I had some air freshener, which did only slightly better. Getting out of that room was the only way to breathe better.

On a Friday, I returned from my day at work (after 4:30 pm) and was called over by the hotel desk clerk by my full name. She quietly told me they had to move me to another room because they found bedbugs under the mattress. Now mind you I was set to leave in only 5 days after being at this hotel for over a month. It seems housekeeping alerted management the room I was in had Bedbugs. During my stay, about my 2nd week there, they trained a new housekeeper. Yet they didn't find any bedbugs then. Guess training skipped that. I was told to wash all my clothes and anything I couldn't wash, like my suitcases, would be taken care of by the exterminator using a heat treatment. The hotel did supply with detergent and coins to do laundry.

Other notes:
- Nice staff.
- If you don't see a desk clerk, look behind counter to the left.
- If you like chocolate chip muffins, better get up early.
- Air conditioner worked here for my entire stay.

So remember. If you book a room at this hotel, better be here early in the day. And ask clerk if housekeeping has checked your room for bugs.

The manager did give me complimentary coupons for future stay(s) at any of their hotels for my inconvenience. Very much appreciated. This is my 3rd rewrite. I was going to write a real nasty review, but after a couple months of calming down, I feel this is the best time to finally submit it. They handled it way they were probably taught. I have worked in retail in my past and training is important. A friendly staff is great, but knowing the day to day operations is another thing.

Room Tip: Get here early to get a room. They overbook. If you are turned away, there is a Residence Inn 4 mile...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Erik N L
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I was charged twice for my stay; first through Priceline, and then by the hotel. I really could not make Extended Stay comprehend that they weren't allowed to charge me. Spoke to the densest woman imaginable at "guest services". The room smell was really bad. I spilled a small amount of water on the floor, and was horrified when I wiped it up as to the amount of dirt that came up off of the floor. I can only call the place filthy. My room key had to be re-keyed twice, and the clerk then told me, "if it doesn't work this time, there's just something wrong with our door". Super.
On the upside, I've got to say it was a comfortable bed, and I slept really well. I think I'll pass this place by next time, though

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Deer Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. It upsets me to hear that you had so many issues during your stay. I am sorry for your experience. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I am having my maintenance staff shampoo carpets, my front desk staff will be paying better attention to our reservations and how to bill them. Still, I am pleased that you found the comfort of your bed to be to your standards.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at pdv@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

We had stayed in many different hotels in the Phoenix area, the Extended Stay America on 27th Ave was the only completely clean, hospitable, and courteous one we stayed at that completely met our standards of cleanliness and expectations of country hospitality. Thank You so much Extended Stay America looking forward to our next stay in October. Mr and Mrs Rendal Cleveland

• Stayed: August 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Deer Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

It is so rewarding to read that you had a wonderful stay with us. Thank you for your comments. I am so glad our staff provided you with such great service and that you found our hotel to be so clean overall.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

prepaid hotel for two nights, a dog in lobby was not controlled and scared kids. No pull out available in rooms as advertised. Only one double bed in room. Smell was unbearable in both rooms, smoking and pet odor. Tried to air out room in 106 degree but was not able to. No compensation or change of room by hotel staff. We left the hotel and lost prepaid money, without any concerns by hotel staff. Do not take kids it is disgusting.:[

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Over the last three years, I’ve utilized the Extended Stay Hotel (ESH) chain from coast-to-coast; which included stays ranging from 45 days to several months. The ESH chain generally delivers a good value at a good price. However, as with any hotel chain, guest experience will vary from property to property, and this chain of hotels is no exception.

For several months, I was a guest of the Extended Stay Hotel Deer Valley (Northern Phoenix). Without hesitation, I rank the Extended Stay Deer Valley in the TOP TWO of the several ESH properties I’ve stayed in across America over the past few years.

The Deer Valley Property:

- Value-to-service received = Excellent;
- Convenience of location = Excellent;
- Parking = Excellent;
- Geographical location = Excellent;
- WiFi connection (free) = Good.

The Management and Support Staff:

Over the last three years, I’ve learned the quality of the accommodations and the level of guest satisfaction are directly correlated to the quality of on-site management and support staff. That is, the better the management and support staff the more enjoyable the stay – period. ESH Deer Valley is managed with excellence, and this is reflected by the helpful, friendly and caring staff – which includes the front desk, housekeeping and maintenance personnel.

Front desk staff was always polite, accommodating and eager to go the extra mile. In addition to the cleaning the guest rooms, the housekeeping staff kept the hallways inviting and the guest trash rooms clean. The on-site maintenance person was friendly and very responsive. The maintenance personnel visited my room regularly to clean the A/C filters and coils (which is very important in Phoenix’s dusty desert).

New Mattresses and Bedding:

The Extended Stay chain is not known for their comfortable mattresses. However, in October of 2012, ESH Deer Valley installed all new mattresses, foundations and bedding. The new beds were a welcomed upgrade and provided excellent support. The new bedding included a mattress pad, comforter and bed skirt. Bed skirts are something new for ESH. They afford a “finished look;” making the room feel more “homelike.” The new beds and bedding were part of the final touches to their recently renovated rooms that include new flat-screen LCD TVs.

Room Air Conditioners:

The A/C units are located below the room’s window. The well-maintained A/C was relatively quiet and kept the room at chilly temperatures – even on the days when the desert sun exceeded 115 degrees.

The Kitchenette & Refrigerator:

The kitchenette is adequate size with upper and lower cabinets, a sink and a two-burner, electric cooktop. There is a small, but adequate microwave oven. The FULL-SIZE refrigerator is a real bonus for longer stays. It can easily hold two weeks of groceries. The separate freezer compartment kept ice cream rock-solid and can hold many frozen entrees.

Freeway Close & Nearby Conveniences:

ESH Deer Valley is located at 20827 N. 27th Avenue (85027); less than two minutes to the onramps for the I-17 and SR-101 freeways. (Note: Freeway traffic noise is not detectable from the guest rooms.)

JUST TO THE SOUTH - About one-half mile south on 27th Avenue is a large shopping center with a Target, Petsmart, Michaels, Office Max and the AMC Deer Valley 30 (with Imax). The same center also has a Romano’s Grill, Claim Jumper, Chili’s and various other quick eateries including Jack in the Box, Chick-fil-A, Subway, Wildflower Bread Company, Jimmy John’s Gourmet Sandwiches, and Starbucks.

For those who can’t resist $1.50 hotdog and soda – there’s a Costco 1.2 miles south on 27th Avenue. For travelers needing medical facilities, the John C. Lincoln Hospital is an added piece of mind, and is about 1/2 mile away (also on 27th Avenue).

JUST TO THE NORTH - The nearby early morning restaurants include Denny’s, Waffle House and Cracker Barrel. All three eateries are just a quick two-minute drive up 27th Avenue at Deer Valley Road.

A FREEWAY TRIP NORTH - A five minute and three-mile drive north on the nearby I-17 will bring you to the Shops at Norterra and the Happy Valley Towne Center. Between these two large, outdoor shopping centers you will find just about everything you need. The centers include a Walmart Supercenter, Lowe’s Home Improvement, Barnes & Noble, Staples, Sport Chalet, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Best Buy, Bank of America, Bath and Body Works, Dollar Tree, a Harkins 14-theatre and much more. Also, the shopping centers include a wide variety of dine-in restaurants and fast-food eateries.

FOOD DELIVERY TO YOUR ROOM - If you can’t (or won’t) leave the comfort of your room, there’s Dominos, Pizza Hut and a Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwiches. All three restaurants have Internet ordering and provide deliver to your room. Both Pizza Hut and Dominos have a small delivery fee. Jimmy John's delivery is free, and they are usually knocking on your door in less than 30 minutes (really great sandwiches and subs - very fresh).

Summary:

All-in-all, Extended Stay Deer Valley is a very clean, updated; well-managed and well-staffed property. It very well may be the best ESH property in the greater Phoenix area. I highly recommend this property to both overnight travelers and long-term visitors (e.g., snowbirds). ESH Deer Valley is conveniently located near freeways, shopping and eateries. There is also a bus stop directly across from the property on 27th Street that can get you to and from downtown Phoenix.

For who are seeking low-cost and comfortable lodging located in one of Northern Phoenix’s CLEAN and SAFE neighborhoods – Extended Stay Hotel - Deer Valley is the place.

Room Tip: Tip-1: During the cooler months of November through early May, when you may want to have your roo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Deer Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I truly appreciate your comments regarding the pleastant stay you have had.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

I just relocated to the Phoenix area for a great Job. I found this property to be very close to my new job site. This property is a great place to stay. Great location. Easy to make a reservation. Friendly staff.
Very comfortable room. Affordable rates. I would recommend this property to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Deer Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. The staff and I would like to thank you again for posting your review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!