“Stay Somewhere Else”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Phoenix
Arizona Royal Villa Resort
Ranked #85 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 29 September 2012

This could be a great place if the host was actually nice. Sadly, he is abrasive and paranoid. He runs his establishment like a prison camp, but a prison camp would be more fun. Seriously, this is a gay clothing-optional establishment. I've never stayed in a place like this and thought I'd give it a try. I let a guest in the gate but stepped aside so people from the street could not see me sans clothing. Doug flew out of his office screaming at me as if I were a child and threatened to kick me out. Honestly, your neighbours all know it's clothing optional, a law wasn't broken unless you don't have the proper license and permits. Poor guy, so rude.

Room Tip: Rooms at a different inn would be the best option.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank DontFlyCoach
HonestO'Pinyon, Owner at Arizona Royal Villa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2012

We offer a private, clothing optional environment. We cannot see who comes in and who leaves the complex from our desks in the executive offices. We DO however have cameras mounted outside to view the parking lot for security reasons. If we can see someone from these monitors, the public can see these people as well. If anyone permits themselves to be seen from this vantage point, this means they were in the parking lot, and if they were there naked, they WILL BE ASKED TO LEAVE and told not to come back. They are lucky we did not lock the door behind them!! We live here and have to deal with these potential problems after these "guests" have left. We have had problems before with this same issue and again, the same drunken behavior by other guests. It is against the law to be naked in public ( on the street) in Phoenix and we have to enforce this policy for the protection of our guests whether they like it or not. Thank you

Reviewed 2 September 2012

Recently returned from a weeks stay at this terrific, low key Inn. Had arrived very late at night due to a flight delay from NY but the keys were waiting in a lockbox and the rooms were lit so we could spot them immediately. Doug the owner/host was a delight to deal with, very personable and a font of knowledge about Phoenix and the entire scene there. The pool and hot tub were both perfect and I hated getting out of them to do anything else. The Inn is in a
very convenient location but yet private and very quiet. The rooms were tastfully furnished and spotless.
I could go on and on but let me just say I highly recommend a visit. My visit did me a world of good and I cant wait to go back but next time I will try to stay longer than a week! Doug: thanks for everything! Regards, Bob G.

Room Tip: The way the rooms are situated (around the pool and hot tub) I would say any room would be fine. I...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Stayed 8 days, the hosts were nice as were many of the guests. I would highly recommend if you are in the area

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MidwestTrvlrs
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Clean well kept and a nice place to sun yourself nude. I like that no sexual activity is allowed out by pool so you can relax and not worry about being groped. Wish they rented rooms to locals it would be a great staycatioin. Recommend for day passes and what i have seen of rooms looked very nice and good value.

J

Room Tip: Not sure just get out to the pool.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Jason G
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Arrived late night to this nice property and lock box contained key. Checked in with Doug in AM.. very nice guy, friendly...great suggestions for shopping, entertainment, food.

Room was comfy, clean, and Doug doted on us just enough to be helpful, yet not intrusive. Facility was really really well laid out, private, and beautiful setting. Hot tub was a gem... clean and relaxing... A more mature crowd than expected, but we were fine with that.

We understood and followed all the rules. And understand Arizona laws...

We would just like to offer 2 small wishes to ensure another stay at the property.

1. Pool had to be under 70 degrees. Unswimmable for us. Most public heated pools are kept at a minimum of 80 degrees. Vacation without a pool left us sitting longer in the hot tub. Not ideal for what we would have liked. Asked a few other guests their thoughts. Two agreed with us and said they would pay more per night for an 80 degree pool, while the other said he would rather have the lower price if that was the choice. Add us to the list of guests who would offer to pay more for pool heat, and although not scientific at all, may mean happier guests, and/or more of them.

2. Turning the heat off in the hot tub at 11:30pm... Again we understand the rules and laws and have no intent of breaking them. But to come home to a cold hot tub at Midnight or after the bar, when sitting in the tub would be a perfect end to an adult evening... seemed overboard protective to us. Again, if money or security are the issues, we would welcome security cams, and/or a security guard during busiest times or nights. Perhaps we are a bit idealistic, but our simple request is to punish those who break the rules, not everyone else who abides by them.

Again... we truly love the property and want to return... Thank you to Doug for your dedication to us as your guests. We like the property enough to be honest, and enough to offer to pay more for the amenities we know cost more to offer.

I would also add that a simple continental breakfast would offer social and nice extra perk, or even a Saturday eve happy hour social. But of all mentioned here, we could do without it just the same. Just thoughts to engage and delight your guests.

-The Minnesota Boys

Room Tip: Saw a couple rooms... I sense all are adequate.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gr8buddies
HonestO'Pinyon, Owner at Arizona Royal Villa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Thank you for your helpful review. To answer your concerns, we would like to add the following, namely;
1) The pool heater was repaired the day prior to your arrival. We knew it was cold, so we turned up the heat on the jacuzzi while it was operating. We normally havethe pool as close to 80 as possible. We also chill our pool in the summer months and while all others are at 95, ours is still at 80, unless the heater/cooler chooses to cease working again!!
2) The reason we turn the hottub off at 1130 is mainly for liability. Secondly, for hygenic reasons.
3) All rooms have kitchenettes with coffee makers, microwaves and fridges. We stock them with coffee supplies. Suites have fully functioning kitchens. Experience has taught us that 75% of people do not eat in the morning and we really want to keep the room cost most affordable for all our guests.
We do appreciate your concerns and hope you return once again!!! Thank you.

Reviewed 6 March 2012

Partner and I had yet another wonderful visit at the Villa. Recently spent 5 nights at the Villa. Doug and Kenny do all they can to make everyone comfortable and welcome. The recent updates and improvements show pride of ownership and desire to encourage and welcome repeat visits. The attentive eye of managment is not a negative for us, and in fact was quite welcome when one guest decided to venture beyond pool grounds and gate "naked" to greet his arriving afternoon "guest/hook up?"
The managers have a wonderful property, and maintain it as such. This includes having to sometimes offer - as earlier review comments "a trip to the guidance counselor" for those guests who when mixing fun, sun and alcohol revert to being adolescent boys who make poor choice in actions. For us, certainly appreciate the care and attention the owners extend to be sure everyones visit is fun, safe and enjoyable. And with such care, assure that the Villa remains open and available to all, who visit Phoenix and play in the Sun! Look forward to next visit all ready!

Room Tip: Ask for North Side winter months to enjoys sunshine, perhaps Southern if traveling in Late Spring, S...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kevin L
Reviewed 25 February 2012

arrived at the hotel at 01h30 and key was in lock box as advised by doug the owner.
crashed for the night awaking at about 10h30. doug was available for me to process my checkin. great parking and access to the nmbr 12 bus downtown. just a short walk or drive to rosco's bar.
i'm sold on the royal villa for my future stays!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo