“Naked and Nice”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Phoenix
Arizona Royal Villa Resort
Ranked #85 of 175 Hotels in Phoenix
Spencer, Tennessee
“Naked and Nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013 via mobile

This older property has been completely updated and maintained by the owner Doug and his partner. The rooms are spotlessly clean and the environment very friendly. The clothing optional pool & spa area are the reason to come here. While there are a few younger guys, it's primarily a retreat for the 40 & up group. Located just east of downtown, the are which is slowly being revitalized may not seem the best. But, you can get to anywhere in Phoenix or Scottsdale in less than 30 minutes. Being close to most of the gay bars in doesn't hurt either, if that's what you're looking for. Don't come to Royal Villa if your looking to hookup for the night. But if you bring your own significant other or one you've just met, you'll have a wonderful time. I will definitely be back here again anytime I come to Phoenix.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PacMan1946

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Rancho Mirage, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2013

What a great find. I had my reservations because the online pics are not great. When I arrived, I was pleasantly surprised and pleased with my accommodations. My room was spotless and nicely appointed. It obviously had recently been updated. Doug, the owner was great....very friendly and he obviously loves his resort. I do to!!! Looking forward to my next visit

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mike M
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

We don't argue that there may be nobody manning the desk, not every hotel is expected to have 24/7 correspondence. But mid afternoon and other reasonable times? At least offer a callback as part of the service to secure our business rather than us chasing you. We really didn't feel welcomed when we need to pursue a booking after 3 phone calls and 2 e-mails over a week. We are busy people too.

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank MartyGenYAustralia
HonestO'Pinyon, Owner at Arizona Royal Villa Resort, responded to this review, 23 November 2012
These potential clients called in the middle of the night. They wanted a room right there and then. The front desk was closed and we had left for the evening. In fact, they woke us up. In the middle of explaining our office hour policy, they hung up on us. They called back the following day and read us the riot act for not being available for them. At that point, we made a judgement call and decided that we did not want the "rotten apple" poolside, as everyone else here was having a good time. We then told them we were sold out to avoid any further irritation. We felt they were very unreasonable so we decided to just ignored the caller I.D. when they called back over and over. They gave us a bad review and did not even stay here.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2012

We arrived from the UK 16th Sept for a week's stay with a friend joining us who flew in from San Francisco the following day. Kenny was there to greet us and sort out the TV without any problems. Rooms clean and tidy, plenty of storage space - pool and spa great - everyone we met there whether staying as full time or day guest were friendly. Would certainly recommend a stay.

David & Ian

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

This could be a great place if the host was actually nice. Sadly, he is abrasive and paranoid. He runs his establishment like a prison camp, but a prison camp would be more fun. Seriously, this is a gay clothing-optional establishment. I've never stayed in a place like this and thought I'd give it a try. I let a guest in the gate but stepped aside so people from the street could not see me sans clothing. Doug flew out of his office screaming at me as if I were a child and threatened to kick me out. Honestly, your neighbours all know it's clothing optional, a law wasn't broken unless you don't have the proper license and permits. Poor guy, so rude.

Room Tip: Rooms at a different inn would be the best option.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank DontFlyCoach
HonestO'Pinyon, Owner at Arizona Royal Villa Resort, responded to this review, 19 October 2012
We offer a private, clothing optional environment. We cannot see who comes in and who leaves the complex from our desks in the executive offices. We DO however have cameras mounted outside to view the parking lot for security reasons. If we can see someone from these monitors, the public can see these people as well. If anyone permits themselves to be seen from this vantage point, this means they were in the parking lot, and if they were there naked, they WILL BE ASKED TO LEAVE and told not to come back. They are lucky we did not lock the door behind them!! We live here and have to deal with these potential problems after these "guests" have left. We have had problems before with this same issue and again, the same drunken behavior by other guests. It is against the law to be naked in public ( on the street) in Phoenix and we have to enforce this policy for the protection of our guests whether they like it or not. Thank you
Jackson Heights, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

Recently returned from a weeks stay at this terrific, low key Inn. Had arrived very late at night due to a flight delay from NY but the keys were waiting in a lockbox and the rooms were lit so we could spot them immediately. Doug the owner/host was a delight to deal with, very personable and a font of knowledge about Phoenix and the entire scene there. The pool and hot tub were both perfect and I hated getting out of them to do anything else. The Inn is in a
very convenient location but yet private and very quiet. The rooms were tastfully furnished and spotless.
I could go on and on but let me just say I highly recommend a visit. My visit did me a world of good and I cant wait to go back but next time I will try to stay longer than a week! Doug: thanks for everything! Regards, Bob G.

Room Tip: The way the rooms are situated (around the pool and hot tub) I would say any room would be fine. I...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Stayed 8 days, the hosts were nice as were many of the guests. I would highly recommend if you are in the area

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple