“Horrible & beyond... but i slept like a rock!”

Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - E. Oak St.
Ranked #132 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We called from the airport for their free shuttle service. its been out of service for months...
The front desk staff is slow and dim-witted. They ran out of towels.
They gave us (two people) one door key, and it stopped working after 24 hrs, then again after another 24hrs. then they gave us two keys and it was fine.
The bedroom cabinets were pulled out and were drawn on with crayon... and another fake-me-out draw fell out...
There were stains, crust, crumbs, poop stains (on door and toilet), trash under the couch, dents in the ceiling.
Room accommodated with 2 bowls, 4 plates, and a cutting board. Thank god that was it b/c i wouldn't have used anything else. Dishwasher was very dirty inside and had plastic utensils from previous stayers. under the fridge was so nasty and sticky with gunk.
---We cleaned every single surface except for the rug... ew. Due to no vacuum.

The BATHROOM: flooded with every short shower we took, so gross. bugs in windowsill. The shower curtain was propped up with an empty filthy sticky soap container and fell the first time we touched it.

Decent location right on bus route 44 that takes your right to the airport and light rail.
Breakfast was nice with coffee, granola bars, muffins, oatmeal, hot coco, etc.. easy grab n go!
The pool was nice. very refreshing. low in chlorine.

Room Tip: the handicap room bathroom floods like crazy forever. so don't stay in the handicap room. idk if...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - E. Oak St., responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Santana - Your review of your stay was recently brought to our attention. We are glad that you enjoyed our grab-and-go breakfast and our pool; however, we are very disappointed to hear about the condition of your room. Please accept our apologies. Our hotel is now under new management and we are working hard to improve our guests' experiences. In response to your feedback, we are making sure that rooms are being cleaned thoroughly and inspected regularly to avoid your experience being repeated. Our staff is also being re-trained to ensure we are always providing our guests with quality service.

We really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact us at pat@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We chose this hotel because it is located very near to excellent markets, including Costco. It is filthy. The carpets look like they have never been cleaned and have large dark stains all over them. The carpet was so filthy that my husband would not let me walk barefoot on it. Our room had a terrible smell and several other people were in the lobby complaining about the stench in their rooms as well. There are no windows that can be opened to air out the place. No water came out of the faucet in the sink in the bedroom at all forcing us to brush our teeth at the kitchen sink. The shower didn't work because the nozzle wouldn't make water go to the shower head.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Sunny - We received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The situation you described regarding the carpets, the odor, and the maintenance issues in your room is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. We are now under new management and have contacted a professional carpet cleaner to clean the carpets throughout our hotel. We are also retraining our housekeeping staff to ensure every room is cleaned to our standards and smells fresh. Our maintenance engineer is addressing the issues you experienced.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so we really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to us at pat@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

The room we reserved was sold out so we were upgraded - wish we'd been turned away. Bathroom was grungy, tub caulk was dirty and looked moldy. Tub and sink drained horribly slowly - with standing water until they did. No shampoo or facial tissues. Couch upholstery was dirty. Coffee maker but no coffee or cups. The u-bolt lock worked but was not securely screwed to the door. Outlet cover missing behind bedside table. Bath towel had a sour odor. The shower curtain blew all over the place from the (very good) water pressure and water got on the floor. My mistake though - I saw reviews of other Extended Stay Phoenix airport hotels but then chose this one without again looking at the reviews for this particular property. Beware. The only good thing was that the bed and pillows were comfortable. Management replies to bad reviews but doesn't seem to do anything to rectify the issues.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Catherine W
Reviewed 7 May 2014

DO NOT STAY HERE

My name is Kevin Hysong, I work in the fitness industry in a job that requires a bit of traveling, and I choose extended stay hotels solely for the amenities (full size fridge, stove, etc). I have to be extremely precise with my diet and a standard hotel just isn't compatible with my lifestyle.

I'll start with the check in process. I waited approximately 30min with no one at the front desk and an extremely long line of people waiting to check in. The hostess said she was personally going along between each guests reservation check in "to make sure the rooms were clean". It took her probably 15min per person to do so, so I'm guessing they don't clean anything until the very last minute.

After being extremely frustrated with the lack of service and finally getting my room key, I get to my room to find that it's filthy, lacking cookware/dishes/towels, so I have to go back to the front desk. I decided I would clean it myself to avoid an hours wait and I was due for another meal, but it still took another 15min just to get a dirty skillet from the front desk. Then I had to go buy cleaning supplies.

During the night I went to make another meal and was greeted by a flock of roaches who promptly scurried every which way when the light was turned on.

During the following day the women who appear as prostitutes flood the parking lot, smoking cigarettes and cursing loudly on their cell phones. Their were police vehicles parked near the lobby when I arrived back from work this same day.

This hotel is disgusting, unsafe, and a general hassle to deal with in any way. I've stayed in extended stays coast to coast, and I can tell you I will never be staying at another ever again after this experience. My plan is to buy an electric griddle and make use of that in more traditional comfortable hotels. Being a bodybuilder has it's sacrifices, but I won't be putting up with this crap. I'm still checked in and tempted to go release my steam on every employee in here, maybe a muscle bound freak going still Sargent in them will help them get their acts together. If I ran this hotel I would terminate every single individual who worked here, for I have yet to see one slightly competent employee.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Kevinhys
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - E. Oak St., responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. First, I am so sorry that you received such slow service from our front desk staff during check in. I will be meeting with my entire staff to accelerate our check in process to ensure that this experience is not repeated. As well, I sincerely apologize for the cleanliness issues in your room and that the kitchen equipment did not meet your needs upon arrival. I am also sorry that the skillet you were given by our front desk staff was not clean. Please know that I will be reviewing these concerns with my housekeeping staff and reviewing our cleanliness and inspection standards so that this does not happen again. I would also like to apologize for the pests you encountered during your stay. I will contact our maintenance staff to have this issue seen to immediately. Lastly, I am sorry that some guests at our hotel made you uncomfortable. At Extended Stay America, we do not condone illegal activity, and we work very hard to ensure our guests are safe. I will be discussing your concerns with our security staff to ensure that your experience is not repeated. The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at pat@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Do not stay here!! You would never let your home be this disgusting. The website is very deceiving. The rooms have a odor, holes in the wall, stains on walls and the bathroom...word to wise just dont stay! So many other hotels around.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank joyhap

Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. I am so disappointed to hear of the sever cleanliness issues you encountered during your stay. Please accept my apologies. I will be meeting with our housekeeping team to review our cleanliness standards to ensure that your experience is not repeated. Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at pat@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Horrible experience, dirty and rooms had a horrible odor, the staff was extremely ride and not helpful at all. We were double charged for our stay and they did not give us the discount that was on our reservation when we booked the room, we are still waiting on a credit for the over charge on our credit card and a credit for the discount that was on our reservation when we booked.
Do not stay here.....

Room Tip: We had two rooms and both had horrible odors and were dirty.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank zfam2014
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - E. Oak St., responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. I sincerely apologize for your experience including the odors and level of cleanliness in your room. Please know, I’m working with the housekeeping staff to improve our cleaning procedures so that this issue does not affect our future guests. Your feedback regarding our guest protocol and reservations policy is greatly appreciated and it will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel.

If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at, pat@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

The experience was aweful. The pictures online were nothing of what the rooms actually were. The rooms were dirty and run down. Just walking in made you feel dirty. The smell of the room was so overpowering ,as if it was sprayed with some sort of potent chemical to cover up the fact that they were infested with pests. We checked out 10 mins after checking in. We were not the only people who complained about the smell. There was someone who called the desk as we checked out and the nice gal at the desk apologized several times and asked if in the mean time she could bring them fabreeze. The only thing nice about this place was the staff. They were kind and understanding.

• Stayed: April 2014