Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - E. Oak St.
Ranked #136 of 173 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Hotel has an awesome and accommodating staff. Facility is what you would expect from any extended stay hotel. It is very close to the airport and lots of places you might need near by in walking distance (target, grocery store, food places, shopping). Great rates.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - E. Oak St., responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Candyce - I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I truly appreciate your comments regarding our staff and the convenience of our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at the I property about 20 times over the years and I will say, the price is always cheep and they surpass my expectations that are attached to that price level. Yes, there are sometimes stains on the carpet and yes there is need for some fresh paint but that doesn't mean they are not cleaning the rooms. Here is what you can expect from this hotel:
-Grab and go breakfast of fruit, oatmeal bars, granola bars, oatmeal, muffins and coffee
-Ok pool
-Grills
-Kitchenette
-Workout room with cardio but no weights
-flat screen TV
-cool ac
-free but slow Wi fi

Over all, this property is not high class but then again, if you were looking for that, you and not in the right price level. This hotel really caters to people who are spending a week or more in the area and would like an apartment type of room. If that's you and you are not too picky, this is the place for you.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - E. Oak St., responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

James - Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I'm so pleased to hear that you were pleased with our breakfast, pool, kitchenette and the other amenities we offer. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

My review will simply be a copy/paste of the email I sent the company after my stay.

Dear Extended Stay,

This weekend, I had the displeasure of staying at one of your Phoenix locations, 4357 E. Oak, Phoenix, AZ 85008. I have stayed at other locations in the past and had expected to check in to a hotel that shared the comfort, cleanliness, and convenience of the other locations in which I have stayed before. I couldn't have been more wrong.

I had booked two nights through Expedia: Fri night (6/6) in a king, smoking, room; Sat (6/7) night in a double, smoking room.

When I showed up on Friday afternoon (approximately 5pm or so), I was given room 308. When I went to the room, it appeared that the room may be under renovation. The bed frame was leaning upright against one wall, the mattress against another. There were two dining room chairs that were sitting upside down on a very dusty breakfast bar (for lack of a better term), and the sofa bed cushions were in disarray. I went back to the front desk to let the person (I did not notice a name tag and he did not put his name in the welcome card) know that he may have given me the wrong room. He asked what was wrong with it. I responded that it appeared it was under renovation and explained the state of the room. His response? "Hm, ok". Not, "I'm sorry" or even any sort of indication that he cared about the mishap. So, he then told me that they did not have the room I had paid for available and that I would need to stay in a non-smoking room. When I asked if I had a choice, he simply laughed and handed me the card key. When I arrived to this room, it smelled as if someone had left food in the refrigerator to spoil; the floors were dirty enough that I had to walk around in sandals to avoid having trash and dirt sticking to my feet; the "ergonomic work station" advertised was a dining room chair sitting at the same breakfast bar that the television was sitting on. On top of this, the batteries in the television remote control were dead, which basically cancelled out the entire purpose of a remote control. I went to check out in the morning, hoping for a cup of coffee and food of some sort, advertised by your "Grab and Go" breakfast. When I arrived (8am or so) to check out, there was no coffee and only a single muffin left. I didn't bother with the muffin, considering there was nothing to wash it down.

When I came back Saturday afternoon to check in again (around 5pm again), I was told that my room was not available, the hotel was overbooked, and all they had left was a king room. The reason I needed a different reservation this time is that I was going to have my children with me, and they needed separate beds. I told Taylor (the woman behind the desk who wore a name tag and also put her name in the welcome card) why I needed my room and while she was sympathetic, there was nothing she could do. I asked if there was at least a sofa bed, since we could make it work with a sofa bed. It did, so, considering we had no choice, we took it. Once we took the sofa bed out, we saw that there were no sheets or comforter or even a pillow. I went downstairs to ask for these things and was told they were out of pillows but she could give me a fleece blanket that we could roll up to try to make a pillow. I do want to take a moment to make it clear that I am NOT complaining about Taylor. To be honest, she was the only person who actually seemed to care about my predicament and who wanted me to be as happy as possible, given the circumstances. She was really the only positive part of the experience. She just had very limited solutions as she was from a different property. So, as for the room itself, the sofa bed was VERY uncomfortable and neither my son or myself (we shared the sofa bed so my daughter could have the king) could sleep. Eventually, I had my son just share the bed with my daughter while I stayed up all night, because there was NO sleeping on that sofa bed. The floor was, again, too dirty to walk around barefoot. I will say that at least this room DID have a desk and didn't smell like an accident, and no issues with the television. When I went to check out (again around 8am), the same man who checked me in on Friday was there to check me out, this time not only was there no coffee for me (again), there also was no food for us to "Grab and Go".

I did not expect elegance with the hotel. As I mentioned, I've actually stayed at Extended Stay a few times, all in California. While there aren't many luxuries, the hotels are always clean and the amenities advertised were always provided. The discount hotels have always suited my needs and until this stay, I would have recommended your hotels to anyone who was looking for an inexpensive place to stay while travelling for a weekend. After this stay, however, I can't imagine that I will ever stay at your hotels again and I will definitely dissuade others from staying as well.

Room Tip: Find a room somewhere else.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
7  Thank Rush U
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - E. Oak St., responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the issues and inconveniences you encountered during your stay. As this hotel’s new manager, I can assure you that I am taking actions to ensure these issues do not continue in the future. Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. I invite you to contact me, at pat@extendedstay.com, if you have any additional comments. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We called from the airport for their free shuttle service. its been out of service for months...
The front desk staff is slow and dim-witted. They ran out of towels.
They gave us (two people) one door key, and it stopped working after 24 hrs, then again after another 24hrs. then they gave us two keys and it was fine.
The bedroom cabinets were pulled out and were drawn on with crayon... and another fake-me-out draw fell out...
There were stains, crust, crumbs, poop stains (on door and toilet), trash under the couch, dents in the ceiling.
Room accommodated with 2 bowls, 4 plates, and a cutting board. Thank god that was it b/c i wouldn't have used anything else. Dishwasher was very dirty inside and had plastic utensils from previous stayers. under the fridge was so nasty and sticky with gunk.
---We cleaned every single surface except for the rug... ew. Due to no vacuum.

The BATHROOM: flooded with every short shower we took, so gross. bugs in windowsill. The shower curtain was propped up with an empty filthy sticky soap container and fell the first time we touched it.

Decent location right on bus route 44 that takes your right to the airport and light rail.
Breakfast was nice with coffee, granola bars, muffins, oatmeal, hot coco, etc.. easy grab n go!
The pool was nice. very refreshing. low in chlorine.

Room Tip: the handicap room bathroom floods like crazy forever. so don't stay in the handicap room. idk if...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - E. Oak St., responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Santana - Your review of your stay was recently brought to our attention. We are glad that you enjoyed our grab-and-go breakfast and our pool; however, we are very disappointed to hear about the condition of your room. Please accept our apologies. Our hotel is now under new management and we are working hard to improve our guests' experiences. In response to your feedback, we are making sure that rooms are being cleaned thoroughly and inspected regularly to avoid your experience being repeated. Our staff is also being re-trained to ensure we are always providing our guests with quality service.

We really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact us at pat@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We chose this hotel because it is located very near to excellent markets, including Costco. It is filthy. The carpets look like they have never been cleaned and have large dark stains all over them. The carpet was so filthy that my husband would not let me walk barefoot on it. Our room had a terrible smell and several other people were in the lobby complaining about the stench in their rooms as well. There are no windows that can be opened to air out the place. No water came out of the faucet in the sink in the bedroom at all forcing us to brush our teeth at the kitchen sink. The shower didn't work because the nozzle wouldn't make water go to the shower head.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Sunny - We received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The situation you described regarding the carpets, the odor, and the maintenance issues in your room is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. We are now under new management and have contacted a professional carpet cleaner to clean the carpets throughout our hotel. We are also retraining our housekeeping staff to ensure every room is cleaned to our standards and smells fresh. Our maintenance engineer is addressing the issues you experienced.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so we really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to us at pat@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

The room we reserved was sold out so we were upgraded - wish we'd been turned away. Bathroom was grungy, tub caulk was dirty and looked moldy. Tub and sink drained horribly slowly - with standing water until they did. No shampoo or facial tissues. Couch upholstery was dirty. Coffee maker but no coffee or cups. The u-bolt lock worked but was not securely screwed to the door. Outlet cover missing behind bedside table. Bath towel had a sour odor. The shower curtain blew all over the place from the (very good) water pressure and water got on the floor. My mistake though - I saw reviews of other Extended Stay Phoenix airport hotels but then chose this one without again looking at the reviews for this particular property. Beware. The only good thing was that the bed and pillows were comfortable. Management replies to bad reviews but doesn't seem to do anything to rectify the issues.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Catherine W
Reviewed 7 May 2014

DO NOT STAY HERE

My name is Kevin Hysong, I work in the fitness industry in a job that requires a bit of traveling, and I choose extended stay hotels solely for the amenities (full size fridge, stove, etc). I have to be extremely precise with my diet and a standard hotel just isn't compatible with my lifestyle.

I'll start with the check in process. I waited approximately 30min with no one at the front desk and an extremely long line of people waiting to check in. The hostess said she was personally going along between each guests reservation check in "to make sure the rooms were clean". It took her probably 15min per person to do so, so I'm guessing they don't clean anything until the very last minute.

After being extremely frustrated with the lack of service and finally getting my room key, I get to my room to find that it's filthy, lacking cookware/dishes/towels, so I have to go back to the front desk. I decided I would clean it myself to avoid an hours wait and I was due for another meal, but it still took another 15min just to get a dirty skillet from the front desk. Then I had to go buy cleaning supplies.

During the night I went to make another meal and was greeted by a flock of roaches who promptly scurried every which way when the light was turned on.

During the following day the women who appear as prostitutes flood the parking lot, smoking cigarettes and cursing loudly on their cell phones. Their were police vehicles parked near the lobby when I arrived back from work this same day.

This hotel is disgusting, unsafe, and a general hassle to deal with in any way. I've stayed in extended stays coast to coast, and I can tell you I will never be staying at another ever again after this experience. My plan is to buy an electric griddle and make use of that in more traditional comfortable hotels. Being a bodybuilder has it's sacrifices, but I won't be putting up with this crap. I'm still checked in and tempted to go release my steam on every employee in here, maybe a muscle bound freak going still Sargent in them will help them get their acts together. If I ran this hotel I would terminate every single individual who worked here, for I have yet to see one slightly competent employee.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Kevinhys
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - E. Oak St., responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. First, I am so sorry that you received such slow service from our front desk staff during check in. I will be meeting with my entire staff to accelerate our check in process to ensure that this experience is not repeated. As well, I sincerely apologize for the cleanliness issues in your room and that the kitchen equipment did not meet your needs upon arrival. I am also sorry that the skillet you were given by our front desk staff was not clean. Please know that I will be reviewing these concerns with my housekeeping staff and reviewing our cleanliness and inspection standards so that this does not happen again. I would also like to apologize for the pests you encountered during your stay. I will contact our maintenance staff to have this issue seen to immediately. Lastly, I am sorry that some guests at our hotel made you uncomfortable. At Extended Stay America, we do not condone illegal activity, and we work very hard to ensure our guests are safe. I will be discussing your concerns with our security staff to ensure that your experience is not repeated. The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at pat@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Chandler
Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Biltmore
Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Midtown
Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport
Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Deer Valley
Red Roof PLUS+ Tempe - Phoenix Airport

Been to Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - E. Oak St.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - E. Oak St.

Address: 4357 E Oak St, Phoenix, AZ 85008-2300 (Formerly Wellesley Inn)
Region: United States > Arizona > Central Arizona > Phoenix
Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Swimming Pool
Ranked #136 of 173 Hotels in Phoenix
Price Range: £51 - £129 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - E. Oak St. 2.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Extended Stay, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - E. Oak St. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - E. Oak St. Arizona