“Great Manager, Great Hotel, Great Choice”

Hampton Inn & Suites Phoenix North/Happy Valley
Ranked #8 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dodgeville, Wisconsin
“Great Manager, Great Hotel, Great Choice”
Reviewed 20 January 2012

The hotel was in a great location and was very nice with a modern feel. The manager at the front desk was extremely helpful in assisting us. The free breakfast was very good and the people were very professional. Beautiful rooms, fair price, exercise room, and pool that accommodates little children as well as adults. We were pleasantly surprised at the size of our two queen bed w/sofa bed suite. It was almost the size of two standard hotel rooms. It was huge, very clean and comfortable, with plenty of extra room to store suitcases. We were very impressed with the attention to detail in every aspect of the hotel. Also when the GM talks to you each morning at breakfast to see how you're enjoying your stay, you feel very special. Definitely would stay here again. Excellent!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Des Moines
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I just stayed at this Hampton Inn last month while out visiting my grandmother and loved every minute of it. The rooms were huge and VERY comfortable, loved the beds! There is a great breakfast served every morning in the lobby area that has a ton of different items to chose from, all the food was great. The hotel is located right behind a big shopping with lots of resturants an shops all just a quick walk or drive away. The far and away best part of my stay however was the staff. Every person I saw in uniform was pleasant and greeted us each time we saw them. The front desk was very informative and ready to give recomendations at a moments notice. When I go back out and visit my grandma again I will definitly be back. Thanks for the great stay!

Room Tip: First floor was super because there was plenty of parking and you could easily access your room.
Torrance
Reviewed 19 January 2012

We had a king bed nonsmoking room at this Hampton Inn. The room was comfortable and furnished with a desk, desk chair, easy chair and sofa in addition to a large screen TV and 3-drawer dresser. Its large bathroom had ample counter space and shelves to accommodate our needs.

We got lost after exiting route 17 because we did not follow explicit directions to the inn. It is necessary to access the frontage road directly rather than turn onto the exit named street.

The front desk staff was helpful in getting us oriented and settling in for a 5-night stay. Some promotional materials located in the business center had expired but were still on display. The exercise room was equipped with free weights and medicine balls in addition to cardio workout machines. There also was a heated outdoor pool and whirlpool available to use.

We had a ground floor room and were able to park close by, making it easy to transfer our belongings from the car to and from our room. There was plenty of complimentary parking in the lot.

A complimentary breakfast buffet is offered in a large room and anteroom next to the lobby. The variety and quantity are plentiful and are OK for breakfast. Hot drinks are available around the clock.

This inn is located within half a mile of the Happy Valley Towne Center and Norterra Shops. The center is anchored by a large Walmart's store. We walked over to the center, did some light shopping, and ate at one of the restaurants while exploring the local conveniences.

The staff was friendly, attentive, responsive and helpful There were, however, a number of annoyances indicating lack of attention to detail.
• There were no complimentary headphones in the fitness center in the basket provided for them
• The wall thermostat was inoperative. After investigation, the housekeeping staff reported having hardware issues with the unit. Fortunately, control was available at the window mounted unit
• Safety tips in hotel brochure on our desk recommended placing all valuables in an in-room-safe. There was no safe in the room
• We had to log in for Internet access daily every day of our 5-night stay.

Room Tip: Select a ground floor room to be close to parking lot.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
TrentGlendale_AZ, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Phoenix North/Happy Valley, responded to this review, 4 February 2012
Thank you so much for the great feedback! We can’t say how appreciative we are when guests like you provide specific, detailed responses that allow us to “get it right” for future guests. I wanted to follow up so you knew your concerns were heard and fixed. I also wanted to apologize for the confusion regarding the safe available upon request, which is located behind the front desk. Our guest room directories do state the location of these safes but it can be a little clearer, we’ll be working with our vendor to clean up some of this verbiage. Again, thank you so much for your loyalty and please return soon and let us show our commitment to your satisfaction.

Trent Johnson, GM
Oak Creek, WI
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I picked the Hampton Inn to stay at based on recommendations from colleagues that I work with. I have stayed at many Hampton Inn's in the past and this has to be one of my favorites. From the time I arrived and throughout my stay I was greeted with a smile any time I saw someone. I spent a week at the hotel and it was nice that everyone at the front desk and breakfast even remembered my name. Besides the amazing service, the rooms were immaculate, extremely clean and well maintained. Top it off with a great free breakfast everyday. I would stay here anytime.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Justme00200
Mountain Home, Idaho
Reviewed 30 December 2011

First off we called in a few days prior and the person we talked to on the phone made our resevations for the wrong night so when we had got there we werent in the system for the night we were supposed to be. New reservations were made at the same rate. We went out on the town and got back around 11 to settle down for the night, everything in the rooms looked fine so we showered and went to bed. In our room we had trouble with the Air Conditioning unit and my Husband had to sick a sock in it to make it stop rattleing. Around 2:30 in the morning my Mom started knocking on our door they were staying in a room just down the hall from us, when i opened the door she was almost in tears because she had been bitten up by BED BUGS, i didnt believe her so i went to look and there were bugs all over her bed that you could see to include quite a few blood spots from smashing them in her sleep. They were moved into another room and comped the room The Excuse they used was they had been slow, it could have been a week since someone had stayed in that room. my mom decided she wouldnt be able to sleep there so they showered and around 3:30 after having to double bag all of their luggage and throwing the pillow they brought we decided to just drive home. We got downstairs to check out and not only did are bill not say the rate we had checked in they were still going to charge us. they did eventually comp our room as well, and are paying for all of my parents stuff to be dry cleaned but my mom has bug bites all over her body.My parents had stayed there before and liked it but after this expirence we will never stay there again.

3 Thank Andie F
TrentGlendale_AZ, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Phoenix North/Happy Valley, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
Thank you for your valuable feedback. Our goal is to make every guest’s experience as pleasurable as possible. We are truly sorry this wasn’t the case during your last visit. I want you to know we’ve taken the necessary steps to rectify the situation so this won’t be an obstacle for any guest moving forward. I assure you our team members have been thoroughly trained on early detection but as we know this has been an ongoing battle in the hospitality industry nationwide. We believe our superior attention to detail separates us from the competition. We want to thank you for the opportunity of allowing us to make amends with you from this inconvenience. I certainly hope you’ll give us another chance to gain your business and visit us again next time you’re in town. I guarantee you won’t be disappointed.

Trent Johnson, GM
North Carolina
Reviewed 29 December 2011

This Hampton Inn is relatively new and in walking distance of a huge shopping center in Happy Valley, Phoenix, AZ. I gave it an average rating but would give it a 3.5 out of 5 if possible.

The front desk staff were all super friendly from the moment we arrived until we left. No lapses of courtesy from the four different people with whom we interacted. The parking area was well lit and is shared with a Homewood Suites next door. Since our visit was during the Christmas holidays there weren't a lot of people in the inn.

We had to call down to the front desk and ask for a light bulb to be put in the floor lamp; there wasn't one in it at all when we arrived. The drain in the bath tub is slow so you end up with a tub about 1/4 full of water after a 5 minute shower. We did NOT ask maintenance to fix the slow drain; it was a minor irritant.

The king bed slept great and they had a nice assortment of pillows from which to choose. Interestingly enough, it was cold enough in Phoenix to run the heater during our stay and it worked well with a thermostat on the wall. The room was clean and well maintained. All bathroom amenities were available and in ample supply. They use a reuse/replace system for linens which I prefer. If you put bath linens on the floor, they replace them, else you use them again.

Housekeeping was very good. We almost always tip the HK staff and did so this time because of the good service.

The breakfast was probably the weakest part of the stay. All the juices were watered down. The sausage patties were good but the links were tasteless. The oatmeal was really thick. Never tried the eggs but they looked 'fake'. Waffles and cold cereal were great and all items were well stocked. Although the food wasn't the best we still tipped the kitchen staff because they did a good job with what they had.

Overall, this HI is a nice place to stay but don't expect anything out of the ordinary. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 217 which is just far enough from the vending/elevator area to remain quiet. There...
Fairfax, VA
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Decent, average hotel. Nothing above and beyond, but acceptable for a night or two business stay. If/when in the area again, I would likely stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business