“Varying quality, reasonable prices”
Review of La Piccola Cucina - CLOSED

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Phoenix, AZ
“Varying quality, reasonable prices”
Reviewed 17 October 2012

2 of 4 had leg of lamb - tasty but definitely over cooked (no pink even) and accordingly verging on dry. 1 had meatloaf and thought it very good. One had bruschetta only and thought it very good and others who had it as an appetizer rated it good. Greek salad and service good. Main course dishes $14 - $16 and reasonable priced wine available.

• Visited October 2012

Sedona, Arizona
“Totally satisfied and more....”
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I am shocked by some of the other not so good reviews....my husband and I went today for lunch with a Groupon, and not only could we not finish the huge portions, but we came home really impressed by the place, vowing to go back and try more. The chef came out of the kitchen as we left and chatted with us, and it felt like home. I had a prosciutto and mozzarella sandwich with field greens and balsamic glaze on it, and I have never had such an impressive prosciutto sandwich. The ciabatta is huge, so I ate half. It also had way more prosciutto than I expected, the mozzarella was was warm and melted, and I was moaning. It also had some roasted red bell pepper on it. My husband, usually a huge eater, ordered the Athenian Sirloin sandwich, which came with dolce gorgonzola, carmelized onions and thin sliced tender beef. He could only eat half, but maybe it was because of the appetizer first. We opted for Feta Bruschetta.....I can't say anything negative about this experience. Great service, food, prices, atmosphere....we will be back!

• Visited October 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
“Dishonorable and FALSE ADVERTISING!!!”
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Wow... Where to begin. I always try to frequent neighborhood eateries and I drove all the way from the Goodyear area to spend my money here at this dump of a restaurant. I bought a DealChicken voucher ($15 for $30.00 worth FOOD AND DRINK). Andy Pappas' (owner) website: www.andyslpc.com reads: HAPPY HOUR Mon-Sat 2pm - 5pm. First of all, who offers happy hour that ends at 5pm when most people are getting off of work at that time. Second, the webpage shows they are open Friday and Saturday 10am - 9am. That's just sloppy. So today, 04-18-12, my girlfriend gets there at about 4:45pm and is told by the nice lady who works there that they don't have a happy hour which my girlfriend reveals to me at 4:55pm when I get there. Keep in mind, there is no one else in the restaurant at this time. Anyhow, Andy Pappas brings out the bottle of wine my gf ended up buying because they DO NOT offer the $5 wines happy hour special. So I ask Andy if they have happy hour specials and he proceeds to tell me, "that DealChicken Coupon isn't good for that." Hmmm, not what I asked, Andy. So I rephrase it in a manner that he may understand: "Ok, I will only use the coupon for dinner and pay out of pocket for the happy hour special you advertise online, okay?" This time, Andy tells me he doesn't have a happy hour. When confronted with the fact that his website states he does, he tells me he doesn't offer that and the coupon is only for food. Among other things, the coupon states it is for both FOOD AND DRINK and the fine print reads: MERCHANT WILL ABIDE BY GIFT CERTIFICATE STATE LAWS. Andy then asks me what I want him to do, so I tell him I want him to honor his online advertisement for his happy hour special which I will pay for aside of the coupon. He then tells me it is now 5 o'clock so happy hour is over. I thought you just told me you don't have a happy hour, Andy. With that, I tell my gf we're out of here and I tell Andy he can serve his open bottle of wine to someone else and inform him he is engaging in false advertising. I also point out the time error (10am to 9am) which he responds by yelling, 'SO WHAT!?!?!" and accussing me of trying to run a scam on him. REALLY?!?!? What an idiot! Short of name calling and swearing, Andy starts yelling and getting in my face. Unfortunately, he drew me into an argument in front of one other lady and the kind lady from earlier. He yelled at me to get out of his restaurant (Ha! We were alredy leavig) and pass by other DealChicken customers who are on their way in. I tried to warn the couple on my way out, but Andy ushered them in and threatened to call the cops on me for speaking my mind. Again, really?!?!? I guess Andy's business is doing so well that he asked two customers to leave all because the little man couldn't admit he was wrong and follow the rules. He may know, food, he may know history, he may know cooking, but he does NOT know funny and does not know how to run a business. Spend your money elsewhere!!!

• Visited April 2012
5 Thank Alexander A
Phoenix, Arizona
“Stay home and make something delightful - because this isn't it....”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

This was a difficult review to write because I really WANTED to like this place. It was our first visit and I had read the reviews and the menu sounded interesting so we visited there on a Monday night. Interestingly we tried to get in twice before but they were full when we called for reservations (a Thursday once and a Saturday the other time). However this night there were only 2 other couples the entire time we were there which I thought was a bit weird.
Okay here’s the deal with the food. When I eat out I want to have something that I can’t or won’t make at home. I want it to be absolutely delicious or I feel as though I could have stayed home and made something better – which was the case here.
I had the Roasted Pork Arista with fresh herbs. I’m not sure what herbs they used but there was something in there I just didn’t like. It may have been thyme but I couldn’t tell for sure. So my wonderful husband switched with me as he had ordered the Bolonese Meatloaf which is a combination of pork, veal & beef supposedly “covered” in a reduction sauce. I wouldn’t call it covered. I’d call it sparingly placed. Frankly, again, I think my plain meatloaf I make at home has more flavor. But it was better than the pork and that’s not saying much –the bar wasn’t that high.
I was impressed with the selection of sides. I ordered the beets (ya can’t really mess that up) and was surprised they were served cold. The Greek salad was tasty and the dressing was delightful. However they served it all on the same plate so my balsamic sauce from my pork ran together with my salad dressing and my beet juice.
My husband had the spinach and the potatoes. The potatoes were bland and the spinach while fresh could have used some additional flavor. What? They couldn’t at least squeeze a lemon? Also, I thought the dishes could have been served hotter. With only a few couples in the place it still made me wonder if it was sitting there a while.
The only redeemer factor was the Tiramisu. It was outstanding! I almost wanted to give the place an extra star just for the dessert.
I never rate a restaurant on the service, only the food. However I thought the servers were friendly and efficient. But anytime you have only a few people in a place you have to get their attention because they hang out and don’t pay attention. They were so nice though so it kind of made up for it.
I drove from east Mesa to try this place but I wouldn’t go back if it was on the same street where I lived. There are just too many places much better.

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank NaomiBTravelin
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
“character and good food”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Mediterranean flavors abound here. What else would you expect with an Italian name and a Greek owner who has traveled the world? The restaurant is housed in an old (yes this is Phoenix) home converted with stamped tin ceiling and deli cases to a cozy series of rooms or patio dining experience. Located in central Phoenix, it is also convenient to the cultural options of theater and museums. The menu changes from lunch with a tempting list of sandwiches, to a selection of bruschettas, salads and entrees and many sides for dinner. My husband enjoyed his fresh fish of the day, mahi mahi, prepared as requested (medium rare) with greek potatoes and string beans. My baked chicken with herbes de provence was tasty but a little dry. The side of raspberry/chipotle jam needed more (some) chipotles. The greek salad was delicious with generous feta and olives and was well dressed. While small, their wine list had several options to pair with our meals, with reasonable price range. The service was friendly and timely. All this was definitely good enough for another try, hopefully when the weather works for the pretty patio out front.

• Visited February 2012