“Great for families”

Sunset and City Lights Aerial Tour of Phoenix
Ranked #36 of 238 things to do in Phoenix
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Located in the heart of Downtown Phoenix, Arizona Science Center has been a hub for science and discovery for the community and visitors. The Center features more than 300 hands-on exhibit, live demonstrations, a state-of the art Dorrance Planetarium, a five-story IMAX(R) theater, and newly opened, CREATE at Arizona Science Center - a place where science, design and engineering collide!
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We took two children (6 and 13) to this museum and it was a big hit with them. The most fun was had in a courtyard with hundreds of lightweight plastic balls and a variety of ways of pushing, shoving, blasting and blowing them about using the force of water. This area was clearly intended for siphoning off some youthful exuberance before letting the youngsters loose among the "quieter" exhibits. As far as I could tell, these were also aimed at visitors of teenage and under; nothing wrong with that unless you're from Trades Descriptions and would prefer to augment the Center's name with "Youth" or a similar clue...

Our two loved the Body department (especially walking through a digestive system with suitable sound effects); the young teenager enjoyed the room covering electricity and magnetism, whilst the building and genetics (!) displays occupied the six-year-old - luckily a very competent reader - for ages. Three hours was all we could take of the constant onslaught of school-age energy provided by several buses full of enthusiastic students.

Highly recommended, therefore, for families but if you prefer your museums peaceful and adult-focused, give this one a miss. Downgraded to "Average" because it cost nearly $80 for two adults, one senior and two children for basic, no-extras tickets.

1  Thank ABK_12
"great exhibits"
in 12 reviews
"special exhibits"

Reviewed 1 May 2014

I've been here a few times over several years and get suckered in when certain attraction of interest are scheduled like The Star Trek Exsperience or the Leonardo Divincii (wrong spelling) stuff On my most recent visit I saw the Ripley's Attraction. I sort of feel ripped off because the price we spent was about $30.00 a person to see nothing so interesting. (see my photos) Papers pinned on walls with facts, Shrunken heads, Puzzles and all the Kiddie things to play with. I was sorry I went to that one but will factor in my other visits that I thought were better. Ripley's was a Ripe-off-ly's all right.

2  Thank TheSaltyPepper
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Had a rare day off during the week and thought The Bride and I would enjoy this attraction. Got there about 11am and should have taken the presence of countless school buses as a sign of things to come. We pressed on, enduring the 15 minute process to get tickets from a really surly and uncaring clerk. Then, a cacophony of kids! We should have turned around but we prevailed. The exhibits were well done and nicely described but it was sensory overload at all times from literally HUNDREDS of children. On one hand, we enjoyed the knowledge afforded but the experience was far from pleasant. We will not be back until we hear of a wine and cheese event for adults only.

2  Thank beeedell
Reviewed 23 April 2014

You are never too old to enjoy this attraction. There is so much to do and see. They have limited exhibits, attractions and the large screen shows. So interesting.

1  Thank Sue J
See more reviews
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We love visiting museums when we tag along with geologist hubby on his business trips. You can't beat hands on for learning and this place was full of hands on exhibits that had the kids fascinated.

The outdoor water area is a wonderful mix of engineering, music, and water play. You adjust the levers and send balls racing around...and experiment with how they move through the cool exhibit. We could have stayed here the whole time!

My personal favorite was all about the body. There was a HUGE nose that you could tickle and it would sneeze. (Sounds gross I know, but my 7 year old boy thought it was the greatest thing ever!! ) You could hear your heart beat by putting your hands on discs...then you would exercise and listen again to hear it speed up. The kids had lots of fun in wheelchair races. The wheelchairs are set up on rollers so they don't actually move and a screen helps you keep track of the speed and how much longer in the race. Judging by all the huffing and puffing it is a LOT harder than it looks!

Another room was all about building. There was information on how a house is built and an exhibit to see in to the walls of a home. One area had you build your house out of small blocks and then simulate an earthquake to see if it would stand. A plumbing section show you how to route the water to a faucet.

We barely scratched the surface of this amazing museum. I hope we get to go back. I highly recommend it!