“Dreamy Draw options are many”
Review of Piestewa Peak

Piestewa Peak
Ranked #7 of 234 things to do in Phoenix
Reviewed 9 May 2014

There are several hiking options at Dreamy Draw Park and Piestewa Peak. You can go for the long, hard, trek or a more leisurely hike. The views from the top of the peaks are beautiful. The park is very convenient - just off the freeway and the parking is plentiful. We ran into a ranger who was happy to give us a detailed map of hiking trails.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I first did this hike back in the early 2000s and wanted to do it again on a recent trip to Phoenix. It did not disappoint. The hike is a short 1.2 miles, but at times feels like it's straight up! According to the phoenix.gov website, total elevation gain for the summit trail is 1,190 feet. There were small bugs that "attacked" every time we stopped. In addition to your sunscreen, you may want to consider bug spray. Beyond that, great hike, friendly hikers and lots of blue sky. Oh, and it's free!

1  Thank Jeni P
Reviewed 4 May 2014

So glad our concierge recommended this hike, my 9 year old son and I had no problem navigating the peak and were able to experience some lovely views along the way. We went out a mile and back, since we had a senior and two younger children that weren't able to make the trek, and didn't want to hold them up too long, but it was fine for us. One tip: bring more water. We had a pint sized bottle each and went through it quickly.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I made a quick drive to this location on my last day in Phoenix. It was easy to find and there was plenty of parking for me since I came at 2:00 PM on a Thursday, but still quite a few people going up and down the hike. The temperature was around 90 and it got pretty hot about halfway up. I think I got sunburned and started to get dry mouth. The hike can be strenuous if you don't pace yourself, but you can just take a breather from time to time and enjoy the views.

Takes about 45-60 minutes going up and a little quicker coming down. Just be careful coming down because it can be a little steep. Definitely bring water like a liter or bigger. The only issue I had beside the heat were the flies/bees that get in your face all the time. I'll be wearing sunscreen and some repellent next time.

1  Thank CrabbyKing93
Reviewed 18 April 2014

most local AZ people probably still call this Squaw Peak, but it was renamed to honor a servicewoman killed saving another servicemember's life during the recent war in Iraq. A nice tribute.
This is an amazing park with a TON of hiking trails in and around it. The very last part of the hike is pretty demanding at the peak, but well worth it for the views of the entire Valley. The trail is VERY popular (like Camelback Mountain) with the locals in the early AM and late day. They are both our "outdoor, natural stair-steppers" with a far better view in the fresh air! Again, tough duty in the summer unless you go early. And, anytime you go, bring lots of water with you! Good hiking shoes, trail shoes or running shoes will make this more fun over regular "sneakers", etc.
Enjoy the peak!