“Great value and clean accomodations”

Drury Inn & Suites Phoenix Happy Valley
Ranked #19 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 21 March 2011

My husband and I stayed 5 nights, during the day we traveled to Scottsdale and Carefree. We stayed in a suite, which was plenty of room. The hotel is new, and it was clean. The staff was friendly. The free breakfast and evening kickback meal made it an even better value. We would stay here again if we return to this area. Side note -- there was no bathroom fan, and no facial tissue in the bathroom dispenser. We found the Happy Valley shopping center handy (very near the hotel).

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Drury Inn & Suites Phoenix Happy Valley

Reviewed 16 March 2011

We were fairly disappointed with our stay at the Drury. My kids were very excited to swim in what (from their website pics) looked like a very nice indoor/outdoor pool. We were also excited to enjoy a free snack/dinner and breakfast buffet. Unfortunatly the pool is smaller than any hotel pool I have ever seen (even in very small/cheap hotels). The "5:30 kickback" consisted of hotdogs, chips, and celery/carrots. Due to dietary restrictions my family could not eat the hot dogs so we were stuck with just chips and celery/carrots. We figured the breakfast would make up for it, and even though it was a buffet, it was a small one and not up to the standard of most of hotel buffets we have had before. In our room it took over 5 minutes for the water to heat up to usable in the shower in the morning and you could hear every sound from the bathroom next door.

The staff at this hotel is very very polite and friendly. The business center is also a nice size, and the hotel main areas and rooms are very nicely decorated and comfortable. I would not normally have thought much about the problems, but at 209.00 per night (counting tax) I think these problems should be corrected.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank sjleatmon
KimChappell, Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Phoenix Happy Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2011

Thank you for your feedback regarding our Drury Inn & Suites Pinnacle Peak. We are sorry to hear your stay was not up to your expectations and do apologize for any inconvenience. Our evening 5:30 Kickback has some standard nightly items (hot dogs, salad, baked potatoes, chips, celery and carrot sticks), but based on the night you are visiting, we also include rotating items like chicken strips or hot wings. On Fridays and Saturdays, we also add chili. With so many free offerings, we hope guests can find a combination that will work with their dietary needs. Our free hot breakfast includes Belgian waffles, cereals, fresh fruit, eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, oatmeal, yogurt, toast, donuts, and more. As with breakfast, we provide a wide variety of different options for our guests to choose from. We were unaware of a problem with the hot water and will look into this issue further. Again, we appreciate your feedback as it gives us the opportunity to look into and fix any problems for future guests. We do hope you will give us a second chance to make a better first impression when traveling in the future.

Reviewed 13 March 2011

Went down to Phoenix to see the Canucks play the Coyotes and stayed at a fantastic Spa Resort near Scottsdale for 2 nights prior to heading over to the Glendale area to meet other friends to watch the game and stay at Drury. The hotel is new and clean and pretty well set up (pretty much what you'd expect from this type of hotel). Our big problem came when trying to sleep. They have these faux wood headboards that hang on the wall and are not affixed at the bottom. I'm guessing the folks in the suite next to us were on the heavy side and every time they tossed (every 3-5 minutes) their headboard would make a sharp 'bang-bang-bang' noise at our heads. Even with earplugs in, we only got 2-3 hours sleep. When asked how my stay was on checkout I said straight out that we only got a couple hours of sleep and were exhausted...the rep simply said, I'm sorry to hear that and gave us our bill. Won't be going back. Hopefully they fix the problem. For a hockey game I will look at Renaissance next time...it's right beside the rink.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank YVRme

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent visit. We are sorry that you had issues with noise the night of your stay. If you ever have concerns that come up, please let the front desk know you'd like to speak to the General Manager and they will be happy to help. Once an issue has been reported, such as with the headboards, we will be happy to take a further look so this can be fixed and our future guests do not experience the same issue. We appreciate your business and hope you will give us another chance to show you how quiet and comfortable our stays can be.

Reviewed 13 March 2011

Our coach had picked this hotel and I wasn't sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised at how wonderful it was. The price was right, the food was good, the room was very nice and we slept well. This is a great find for us! It's one of those places that I want to let everyone know about but on the other hand not to, so it will not be sold out when we want to go! shhh!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 March 2011

I have been booking hotels based on trip advisor recommendations for years, and this is the first time I've been steered wrong. The main issue is the photos on TripAdvisor that shows the Wet and Wild Waterpark as the first photo of the hotel. My family and I were looking forward to a week in Phoenix at a nice hotel with a great pool. The pictures are completely misleading. The Water Park is down the street, and was closed during our stay. Had it been open it would have been only $75 per day for my family to go there each day!!

The rest of the hotel's claims are accurate - it is newer, they serve free food at 5pm hot dogs (if you get there in the first 5 minutes) tyson chicken bites, microwave egg rolls, chips and celery/carrots. We ate there, and were immediately sorry. The breakfast is the same quality. You get what you pay for.

The pool was the biggest disappointment. It was small, and absolutely freezing. There was no-one in the pool - no other families. It was so cold that we had to take our three year old to swim in the hot tub for 5 minutes at a time. And the stench of chlorine was overwhelming. The adjacent "fitness center" contains only cardio - one bike and three treadmills. No weights or even a ball.

This is a business hotel - for a business traveller that wants to eat junk food for dinner.

I could hardly mask my disappointment when I checked in. The first thing I did in my room was get online and book another hotel. We ended up going to the Tapatio Cliffs Resort, which I could have booked in advance at $169, but ended up costing us $204 per day for the rest of our stay. Don't be fooled by this place - it is not a resort, not a family hotel, not a vacation location. I also find it hard to believe it was rated #1 in Phoenix - no way.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank jbldr

Thank you for staying at our Drury Inn & Suites Phoenix Pinnacle Peak. We appreciate your feedback and would like to apologize for the picture of the Wet and Wild waterpark. This appears to have been a user submitted photo on TripAdvisor and we have are working to have this replaced. While Wet and Wild is a fun location to visit, the park is not associated with Drury Hotels. We are very sorry if you made your lodging choice based on this park being associated with our hotel location and the pictures on Trip Advisor. Your feedback has been shared with hotel management and we will look into the issues you mentioned with the pool temperature, as it is normally warm and inviting and with the quality of food. If ever during your stay you have questions or concerns, please let the front desk know and we'll be happy to be of further assistance. Again, thank you for bringing the picture of Wet and Wild to our attention and we can assure you we are working to resolve this so there is no confusion for future guests.

Reviewed 12 March 2011

The staff must be writing all those glowing reviews or the folks who wrote them must stay exclusively in motels - this is certainly not the #1 "hotel" in all of Phoenix by ANY stretch of the imagination.

The rooms are mediocre. The bathroom has one bottle of shampoo and conditioner combined and two bars of soap (face and bath)- that is it- no moisturers or lotions (critical in Phoenix given the low levels of humidity), nothing else

Yes, the room has an empty fridge and a microwave but not even a bottle of water.

My room was not made up during my stay and when I checked out, I found out that they did not even know that I had checked-in two days ago i.e., they did not know that I was staying at their hotel!!! I was lucky that they did not assign my room to someone else while I was still staying in it!!!

They promised to email me the receipt (they could not generate one for a stay that they did not have a record of :-)) and took my email address- my credit card got billed but I have not seen the emailed receipt yet.

The location was okay for me because it was close to work but it is ~25 miles from the airport which could be 30 min- 1 hour depending on the time of day and the traffic.

Overall, an average motel with some reservation system problems.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank gv69

Thank you for the feedback regarding your stay. We are very sorry about the reservation issues during your visit and that you have not received a receipt reflecting your guest charges. For questions regarding receipts after a stay, we recommend contacting the hotel directly to speak with the General Manager. They will be happy to provide you with the requested information. We apologize that this is taking additional time from you. Your comments have been shared with the manager and housekeeping department and we thank you again for letting us know there was an issue.

Reviewed 28 February 2011

My husband and I stayed here for several days and I would highly recommend it.
We were met at reception by Dwaine who was very friendly and welcoming which was a good start. The building is fairly new and spotless. Rooms were sizeable, very comfortable, nice ensuite, fridge, microwave, flat screenTV and again spotless.
Included in your room rate is breakfast, three alcoholic drinks per person per day including free food from 5.30pm - 7pm. The food comprises hot dogs, baked potatoes etc.
There are also some free local phone calls and some free long distance calls as well as free internet access.

There is also a small, pool, jacuzzi and fitness centre.

They also have a laundry which is really handy.
All of the staff without exception were really friendly and seemed happy.
At the buffet breakfast the chef was very friendly and efficient.

Location is outside the centre of Phoenix but still easy to drive in and this hotel does not charge parking fees unlike some hotels in Phoenix.
Their slogan is "We don't charge extra for the extras" which is true!

All in all, a great place and a great stay!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple