“We love this place!”

Drury Inn & Suites Phoenix Happy Valley
Ranked #19 of 173 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We have stayed at many, many Phoenix properties over the years. The Drury Inns have become our go to hotels of preference. We have read some of the reviews here and most are really good. Others had some issues. We have never had an issue with this Drury Inn…we're not saying that others did not but we have not. We are always met with a friendly and courteous greeting. One time our room (a suite) had not been cleaned from the previous guest. We went back down to the front desk and they took care of it immediately. We were given another suite and our price was substantially discounted…all without asking. So mistakes can be made, but the management was very responsive and took care of things immediately.

The evening "social" is always nice. Two free drinks (unlimited soft drinks) and the finger foods are not high end, but certainly more than acceptable. The baked potatoes are always big and plump and cooked to completion. Popcorn is available in the lobby until 10 PM and soft drinks are available 24 hours. If you have kids, this is a big plus and can save a family a ton of money!

Breakfast is better than most other properties. Yes, it is reheated food and it is always the same. However, it is a higher quality reheated food and it certainly is satisfying. Again, if you have kids then this place will take care of them and save you in meals! We often see young "club teams" so we know others have figured this out as well.

We definitely recommend the higher end suites, especially if you don't have kids. They are located in their own section and it is always quiet. The jacuzzi tubs are fantastic!

This is not a 5 star property, so don't expect it. But it also doesn't cost as much as the 5 star Biltmore or Ritz! However, it is the best value going in our opinion. The beds are comfortable, the shower delivers enough water and the HVAC is excellent!

Room Tip: If you are a couple, the jacuzzi suites are highly recommended (although will cost more).
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Al and Valorie B

Reviewed 3 January 2014

We picked this hotel based on it's location, the value and the reviews on Tripadvisor. We booked a 2 room suite with 2 queen beds for us and our 2 children.
Positive:
- The size of the bedroom and livingroom is nice and roomy. Bathroom in the middle as well as a large counterspace with fridge, microwave and small sink.
- Plenty of storage space in the rooms, for clothes and other items
- The employees are very nice and helpful.
- Great WiFi reception throughout the hotel, free
- All included snacks and drinks
Less positive:
- The cleanliness of the room leaves some room for improvement, especially the carpet
- Windows do not open for fresh air. This leaves you with stuffy, muggy roomair
- Quality of the food: all reheated, plain factory food
- Same for the afternoon snacks
- Breakfast choices are exactly the same every morning: scrammbled eggs, sausage patties, biscuits & gravy, fried potatoes, waffelmaker and the usual cold stuff
- Only light yoghurt and cream cheese available, no regular
- The pouches of hot chocolate were out at first when the hotel was not very busy yet. But when more guests had arrived, the hot chocolate was not put in plain sight anymore, I had to ask for it.
- Heated pool (indoor/outdoor) on the chilly side

This was our first stay at a Drury and we would seriously consider the again for a next stay.
We usually stay at a Hilton (related) hotel but they charge extra for WiFi, parking and resort fee. We think this is rediculous. At Drury it's all included.

Room Tip: none of the rooms will give you a nice view due to the location of the hotel. You don't have to...
4  Thank Nesser68
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We have family all over the North Phoenix/Scottsdale area, & whenever we have a big family event we stay at the Drury Inn. The free breakfast & dinner with free cocktails are very impressive & yet the room cost is always competitive with hotels that offer far less for the price. But the most impressive thing is the Staff. All are friendly & very helpful, but Maureen in the kitchen is especially wonderful. She always starts our day off right with a smile & eager to accommodate us. This morning I wanted some tea, which they have, but it is only regular or decaf black tea. I mentioned how I would love some herbal tea & she went into her own purse & gave me 3 varieties of herbal tea. That is service you won't find at even the highest tier of hotels. We won't stay anywhere else. Thank you!

Room Tip: We love the king suite.
3  Thank Kimberly O
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We have stayed with several Drury Hotels over the years. In the Phoenix area we have stayed at both, the one near the airport and the one here in Happy Valley. The Happy Valley one had become our new place to stay when we were here, but that will change after this visit. We arrived Thrusday, 12-26-2013 and checked in. Our first indication something might be amiss was when we stepped into the elevator and the floor had several stains on it. Then on the sixth floor, it had not been vacuumed. Oh, and then there was the whole towel thing. We are travelling with the grandkids and so we have stuff strewn all about the room, so we asked only for a towel exchange...We come in and our towels had been tossed into the sink instead of being placed on the rack. At every step we have let the desk know, and at every step we get an apology, but really, how hard is it to vacuum as you clean a floor. How difficult is it to set the towels on the rack.

Then today, 12-28, the room had to be cleaned twice as the ladies had not done it right the first time and even then, they left their pink towel behind and I had to return it to the ladies down the hall.

Then there is the whole eating area mess. I watched as it was mopped last night, but by this morning, you could not tell it had been touched. And the food, it is not coming out hot enough as we are having to put our plates in the microwave in order to get them warm enough.

The rooms are fine and the bed comfortable, however the normal Drury level of experience is not there. I think when we are back in Phoenix, we will stay at the airport location. It will cost about ten dollars more, but when you consider the travel to get anywhere from this location, and the inconvenience of all of the minor things we are putting up with, PLUS the fact when I walk into the airport location I am greeeted as an old friend and by name on many ocassions, it will be worth it.

Room Tip: Usually, any room in a Drury is fine. We were in 619, north side of building. Nice view.
2  Thank TravellingAZTeacher
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Phoenix Happy Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

I wish to thank you for sharing your concerns regarding your stay, and I want to assure you that these issues were addressed with our team. It is our goal for our guests to enjoy a comfortable and clean stay! It is my hope that you will contact me at your convenience so I can get further details that will assist me in the retraining process.

Again, my apologies, and after we speak it is my hope that you will give the Happy Valley location another try.

Respectfully,
Larry L.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

I screwed up my resevation and booked a week early, they credited me for that mistake and had a great stay. Very friendly staff, very clean room and overall I couldn't have asked for more.

The hotel is situated right off the freeway and was great for egress north as we went to Sedona from there quite quickly, but where close enough to the airport to accomodate our late arrival, missed cocktails, bummer!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jkiherI
Reviewed 21 December 2013

This would have been our 2nd Drury Inn stay on our way back from Flagstaff. We needed to upgrade to a suite due to 1 additional family member. Previous Drury Inn upgraded with no problem or add. Fee. Here I was told they couldn't change room even if I paid difference. The hotel was clearly not at full capacity. So ended up not staying and losing $ for 1 night stay.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank ramirezbnn
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Phoenix Happy Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Thank you for your feedback and our apologies for this encounter. Since your reservation was prepaid and booked through an online travel site, we regrettably could not make any changes to it. On a standard reservation booked on DruryHotels.com or through Drury Hotels directly, we would absolutely work to upgrade your room or adjust your reservations as needed, provided we have the availability. In the future when making reservations, we recommend booking on our website DruryHotels.com or call 1-800-DRURYINN. When you book direct with Drury, this gives us the ability to make changes and accommodate your requests upon arrival. We would like the opportunity to discuss this situation further with you directly. Please call 1-800-DRURYINN and ask to be connected to our Customer Service department. We look forward to hearing from you. It is our hope the next time you are travelling to the Happy Valley area, you will give Drury Hotels another chance.
Larry L.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I have stayed at this hotel before, which is why I returned. The hotel was beautiful and comfortable as always. This time, however, I needed special accommodations. I needed to check in early and checkout late. The staff was not only wonderfully accommodating, but they remembered us each time they saw us and asked us about the event we were attending. I could not have asked for better service!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends