“LOVE LOVE LOVE the Drury Inn's”

Drury Inn & Suites Phoenix Happy Valley
Ranked #19 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Montana
“LOVE LOVE LOVE the Drury Inn's”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We love staying at the Drury Inn's, we don't have to look for a place to eat OR drink. The breakfast is always good, reception hour is dinner for us makes it easy to eat light after a day on the road and nice to have cocktails and not worry about driving.
We stayed at this particular Drury when we attended the LPGA in March, the staff was absolutely great front desk, meal attendants, bartender, maids etc.
There does seem to be allot of families (go figure) and I'm sure that is one reason why they have the quiet code you have to sign.
We have never had a negative experience staying at a Drury and wish there were more. We are seniors and having the meals and drinks and the reasonable prices does help with travel expenses. Excellent value for the price. We loved the addition of the shampoo/conditioner and soap dispensers in the shower hate to waste all those little bottles. They could add a lotion dispenser or small lotion would be nice.
Good Job everyone.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank onebigbad1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Arizona
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This is the second year I have stayed at this Drury 3 nights a week for 12 weeks on business. First of all, most of the staff is the same - and have given me a warm welcome back. Retention of staff in any business speaks highly of management. The rooms are comfortable and clean. Any issues are quickly and efficiently dealt with. All staff go out of their way to be helpful and personable. The breakfast offers a nice selection of foods both hot and cold. The "kickback hour" food is tasty and also a nice selection. They handle the big Phoenix spring crowds and maintain their high level of service. I wish there were more throughout the country! All in all, a terrific place to stay.

Room Tip: Either side of the building is fine.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank 423judic
washington
Reviewed 30 March 2014

This is the second time I have stayed here. I have no complaints at all this time. Rooms are clean and nicely furnished. Free wireless, free 60 minutes long distance, free soft drinks & popcorn in the evening, microwave and refrigerator in the room. Adequate parking, nice staff. Great evening hospitaility - heavy snacks (a meal for me) and 3 alcohol drinks per person. Good breakfastThe location is quite a way north from the airport or Phoenix but I found that a benefit to get away from traffic and noise.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank heidi84
denver, co
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Stayed here with our baseball team for three nights.
Pros
Free breakfast was decent
Kickstart dinner was good with 3 free drinks and unlimited soda.

Cons
They make you sign a waiver for "quiet time and curfew", at 10pm.
Pool and hot tub close at 10 pm.
Pretty much the entire hotel shuts down at 10pm with no exceptions and is highly enforced.
Staff watches the guests constantly with someone who walked around the facility and feels warden like.
Pool is very small.
Pool patio is very small and if you don't get there early you won't be able to sit anywhere.

Overall, the staff could be a little friendlier, although some were very nice there were others who were clearly the enforcers. Great place to stay for people who want to sleep a lot, not so great if you want a fun place to stay if you like to vacation.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Vaca555
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Phoenix Happy Valley, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate hearing from our guests, as we use guest comments to help improve our product and services. We have a diverse client base and do our best to accommodate and meet the needs of all our guests. I sincerely apologize if you felt our staff was intrusive to your stay with regards to adherence to our Guest Service Guidelines, and will work with our team to manage this process better. It was guest feedback that prompted us to have every guest sign the Guidelines, which are designed with the hope that all guests are able to enjoy the amenities we have to offer, as well as a good night’s sleep.

Again, I thank you for your feedback, and hope you will give us further opportunities to serve your lodging needs!

Respectfully,
Larry L.
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Booked a couple nights here as it was obvious it was a newer chain looking to go head to head with other full-service hotels. Worth a look. Hard to say if it one upped the homewood chain. This hotel is new and is in great shape all around with a beautiful lobby area. The room was plenty spacious, comfortable beds, big tv's. Got a cot so our kids didn't get stuck together. The evening reception had enough options for a full meal, as was breakfast - very ideal for family that aren't looking for fine dining and want to get their moneys worth. 3 drink ticket as well - unsure if this is more the trend, but in the past, we have had unlimited beer/wine as opposed to all the mix options c/w bartender.

So with that, how did it compare? Well, Drury has their dinners available 7 days a week and more options - thats a plus, but I think that is all it has on the other chain. It was the same breakfast options both days - would be nice to change it up and have more variety - unsure if they do throughout the week. The pool (while indoor/outdoor) was a nice touch, it was very small as well the sundeck area. The other guys have full kitchen which is always a bonus, but I think the hardest part was the AC that sounded like a jet engine! Probably the loudest AC we have experienced - I guess maybe it comes down to needing the extra power in the desert, but we found 71 was too warm to sleep, setting at 70, it would come on what seemed every 5 minutes. Thats in March. I'm assuming later in year, either you have it on all night, or you boil to death! To me, I do tend to judge my experience on the AC, and that extra effort to bring in quieter units would have been well worth while.

So with that, I would still recommend as the location was ideal as a north access point and the food option is always good for families with kids not looking for fine dining, but this was a test of our loyalty with the Homewood chain and not sure if it had an effect. We would certainly consider staying here over the weekend when Homewood doesn't offer reception, but otherwise, don't think I could unless it was in cooler climate areas and larger pools.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed here with a group of baseball team parents. It is a nice chain hotel. Newish. Well kept. Friendly staff. Rooms were adequately big. Living room area in the lobby was a nice place to gather and talk. Evening reception/dinner was great - drinks and heavy enough food you could call it dinner. I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Beth M
Carmel, California
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Last year I made a mental note to book this hotel, since it was much closer to the go-kart track, than the hotel we stayed before. I made my reservation early on, which was a good idea, since they were very busy.
Unfortunately, our plane had some issues, and it was not sure if we will fly that day. The hotel's policy is 6PM, and they charge the credit card. So I called them. They could not be nicer about it. They said to call once I know exactly the story, and they will keep my reservation, and will not charge me etc.
The hotel is a newer building, a solid construction. Well insulated in and out. The freeway is next door, but I didn't hear a thing, except the neighbor's air-condition.
Reception area is pretty, with a comfortable sitting area with fireplace and tv. All day popcorn treat, that my son visited frequently. They have a large dining area for the included breakfast and supper with three free beer/wine drinks. Food and selection was fine. The area was kept very clean. Staff is friendly and helpful. The soda fountain is open till 10 PM with free soft drinks. After hours TV dinners are available near the reception, but there is a large shopping area with many restaurants a block away North on 23rd street.
Rooms are not too large, but about average. Bathrooms are tiled (Wall soap, shampoo, and conditioner dispenser was provided, that is a nice idea. They don't provide body lotion tho.) , newer carpet, pleasantly decorated rooms. All clean and well maintained. Refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, iron etc. included. Bedding was average, with two kinds of pillows, plastic and feather. The bed had pillow top. The king size was a little sensitive to movements, but was not too bad. Flat screen TV, with HBO, WiFi included, and worked well.
The hotel has a nice exercise room, inside and outside pool with an inside jacuzzi. Clean, and with plenty of towels.
I should mention again that the staff was extremely nice and helpful. All of them.

The only semi-negative comments I would have is that the hotel seems to be very "green oriented", but the kitchen has styrofoam and plastic plates, cups, and silverware. Other than that it was a perfect stay.

Room Tip: The building is facing the freeway on both sides, however it is so well insulated that you cannot he...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business