“Never again. ”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Phoenix Airport
Ranked #60 of 173 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

After checking out of the fantastic Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak and taking a $50 Execucar ride here the night before we flew home from a wonderful vacation we were told they didn't have a room for us due to the guest in our room deciding to extend their stay. They without asking if it was ok with us told us they were moving us to the Quality Inn in Tempe. I quickly TripAdvisor'd the hotel and immediately was fearful. I paid $189 to stay in a nice place to avoid staying at a place like they were trying to move me to. I wasn't the only one who was getting the same problem. We witnessed numerous guests being told they didn't have a room and they were moving them to the Quality Inn. Terrible customer service! I understand if 1 room falls into this situation but we witnessed at least 5 instances of this while we were trying to find a SAFE, CLEAN, CLOSE TO AIRPORT place to stay for the night instead of the Quality Inn that was priced way cheaper than the $189 I paid. Luckily a group that was getting the same treatment had a couple in the group who had rooms at the Holiday Inn and didn't want to be split up from their group and decided to all go to the Quality Inn and we were given one of their rooms. (Even though I booked and paid for a room 2 months prior)
We were offered a discount on the room but still won't change my mind about never booking at any Holiday Inn property again. I was traveling with my wife and Autistic son and seriously was worried for our safety and health looking up the place the hotel was trying to relocate us to. It created a very stressful and frightful situation.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Matt P
GMReply, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Phoenix Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Thank you for sharing your feelings about our hotel. We understand the frustration that you encountered due to the over booking situation. We try hard to never create a situation that results in relocating our customers. If we do have to relocate our customers, we try to always send them to a comparable establishment. The situation on the night that you had a reservation was not one we usually encounter. The hotel had a big conference where a group of 20 rooms did not check out as schedule causing us to relocate multiple reservations. The Quality Inn, unfortunately, was the only hotel within 10 miles of us that had rooms available to send our customers to. We want to give you our deepest apologies on the stress that was caused to you and your family, and we are glad to hear that we were able to get you into one of our rooms over relocating you to the Quality Inn.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

I'm not sure this is the best of the bunch for Phoenix Airport Park & Fly, but it was an ok choice. Hotel is basic. Room was standard and, thankfully, quiet. Bed was less than comfortable. Front desk staff was friendly. Airport shuttle never showed up, so the hotel van took us. Thought we were going to be stuck in the van when the driver couldn't get the door unstuck.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank longjch
GMReply, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Phoenix Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Guest,

I am sorry not all was up to satisfaction during your stay with us. We want to be able to provide only positive experiences and will work on the issues that need fixing. Thanks

Reviewed 28 February 2014

I stayed here for a week on business. It's very close to the airport. The only time I noticed the planes at all was when I was in the hot tub outside. There's a small pool and a hot tub which I enjoyed nightly. The restaurant is clean and the food is good. TV's at every table. There's a smaller bar area attached. The rooms are very clean and great for business -- big desk. TV is large, channel selection is OK -- no pay per view here. Bathroom and shower area good -- large shower head. Lots of closet space. Outlets by bedstand to plug in cell phones, etc. I recommend it. The prices were good. Breakfast buffet available or you can order off the menu. Conference center rooms onsite as well.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
GMReply, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Phoenix Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Its great to hear you had a perfect stay with us. I hope travel plans bring you back to our area very soon. Thanks for taking the time to write the positive review.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Spent three nights here on a business trip and although I would normally rate this hotel "Average" for a business-class airport hotel, I'm giving it the lowest rating possible because when I combine that "nothing special" rating with a specific experience I had during my first night...well, I'd never, ever stay here again.

At 1:30 a.m. on Tuesday morning, I was awakened by someone trying to get into my room. Thankfully, I always double-bolt my door. Moments later, my room telephone rang. When I picked it up, a voice asked angrily, "WHO IS THIS?" I replied, "Excuse me?" The angry voice bellowed, "WHO IS IN THIS ROOM???" I replied, "This is (my name). Who are YOU?"

He replied, "This is the manager. Someone is trying to get into that room. No one is supposed to be in it." I said, that's very interesting, considering that your manager (name) checked me in here at about noon today, and then housekeeping stopped by to see if everything was in order. You do realize it's 1:30 in the morning, right?" I asked him and then hung up, now angry myself and truthfully, a bit worried that a stranger was trying to enter my room in the middle of the night.

Collecting myself for a few moments, I called the front desk, and asked the person who picked up the phone, "Are you the manager who just called me?" The man responded, "Yes." I then said, "Tell your boss I want to talk to him TOMORROW about what just happened," to which he replied, "Yes, sir."

I'd just spend 7 hours in an airplane, followed by a busy evening, and was expected at meetings at 8am the next day, and had just been basically scared to death by an unwitting intruder and yelled at by this hotel's night manager. Ask me if I got any more sleep that night!

Here's the best part (or the worst, I suppose): I didn't hear from a soul from the hotel management for two days afterward, even after leaving word at the front desk that I wanted to be contacted. Finally, on the night before my departure, the assistant manager sought me out during my dinner at the hotel restaurant and gave me a sincere apology...and nothing more.

Call me crazy, but if my company didn't fulfill its most basic responsibilities of service, we would at a minimum refund part, if not all, of the customer's purchase costs. This hotel failed in the MOST basic requirements of a hotel, much less a business-class hotel, in that
1. It didn't keep its guest safe
2. It didn't provide a night's sleep
3. It didn't seek to right the wrongs of 1. and 2. above.

As I told the manager, the hotel is fortunate that I didn't cal the police, suspecting an attempt at a break-in to my room. And to tell the truth, I may yet do so. I've often since wondered about the same scenario occurring if my wife was staying at this hotel alone, 2,500 miles from home, and think that perhaps this property has a security problem that needs to be addressed by someone other than the hotel management/ownership.

One this is for certain, and that is I would NEVER stay here again, or recommend it to others. One of the worst overall hotel experiences of my entire traveling career.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank 4richer4poorer
GMReply, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Phoenix Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Guest,
Please accept our sincere apology on this terrible experience. It certainly has never happened before or even again. Our Front Desk Manager did come and apologize while you were having dinner and he did offer to give you the room and dinner complimentary to which you refused. We did talk to our staff at great length and it was an honest mistake. I hope you do stay with us again so we can prove that this was a one time mistake. Once again we all are extremely sorry.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

My wife and I stayed here for one night before a morning flight out of Sky Harbor. This hotel is certainly not a resort, but if you take it for what it is (to or from the airport), it is just fine. The rooms are very clean, beds were comfy, quiet the night we were there – all of the basics which work fine. Not much of a view though! :-) I took the shuttle to the hotel from the airport on a Saturday night. First of all, make sure you get the right shuttle. Some that were on my shuttle got the wrong one. The shuttle we had that night was beyond worn out – the driver could barely get the sliding door open and I thought the back doors might fall off! The shuttle the following morning was nice. A tip – the shuttles get full, so try to reserve your time when you check in. Only minor issue was room service. It took about 75 minutes to get our order. They did acknowledge their mistake (I appreciate that!) and gave us a piece of cake to share – nice gesture. Overall, I don’t think this hotel will become a major tourist attraction any time soon, but does a good job for what it does.

Room Tip: We were on the fifth (top) floor - nice and quiet. Not sure how the other floors would be.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank myred86

Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us and I would like let you know that we are working on purchasing a new shuttle. Hope to see you again very soon

Reviewed 19 February 2014

We spent one night over the holidays at the Holiday Inn and Suite Phoenix Airport. The hotel is pretty nice and the staff were really nice, professional and helpful. The rooms were clean, bright, and comfortable The shuttle service was helpful and it doesn't take too long to get to the airport (although it was the Holiday season so the traffic was light). The pool was nice and we enjoyed it even on a December day. The bar offers a comfortable place to sit and relax. It was a good value and I would definitely consider it again. The only drawback was that there is really nothing within walking distance and the area is a bit seedy. We had to drive to find food that met our tastes and it would have been nice to be closer to more restaurants.

Room Tip: Upper floors offer better views
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the nice review. We hope you did try out the great food in our own restaurant. We do have a wide variety of restaurants that are about 5 miles away, and our shuttle driver can take you there based on availability.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We decided to stay here because of its proximity to the airport and to ASU where we were going to do a visit with our niece flying in from back east. It was wonderfully situated equidistant from both. We got upgraded to a suite upon our arrival, but we couldn't use the upgrade because we needed two queens (sadly). The room was clean and well-appointed and about what you would expect from a Holiday Inn. There were a few details that were just off (like a repair in the restroom that wasn't properly sanded), but the beds were comfortable with ample pillows. The air conditioner worked well and the TV had plenty of channels. On the down side, parking was cramped. The night we were there, the hotel was booked solid and parking was a demolition derby. Also, the price was $135 a night (about the same as a Holiday Inn Express) but you get no breakfast. Bummer.

Room Tip: Rooms on the East open up to the Freeway. Not a bother for us, but could be for pickier clientele.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Thanks for staying with us and also for taking the time to write the review. We are looking into the parking situation and I can assure you there wont be that problem on your next visit.