“Quite nice”

Westin Phoenix Downtown
Ranked #7 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 June 2011

My husband and I, along with business peers, stayed here for two nights. We had booked our room through an online travel agency. Upon arrival, the desk clerk could not find our reservation. After 45 mins, at 12:30 at night, she had figured out that the travel agency never told them about our paid reservation. I felt bad for the poor girl because by now the valet, operations, and back office people were getting upset with her for not getting us checked-in more quickly and it wasn't really her fault, except for that she didn't really know what to do when she could not find our reservation. To make up for the long wait, she upgraded us to getting two connecting rooms, one a double and one corner king suite. The corner suite was huge, well appointed and beautiful with great views of downtown phx.
As it is a new hotel, everything is in great shape and has a modern luxurious feel.
It is also nicely located just a few blocks from many things, like the convention center, restaurants and parks.
For around $$$ - go downtown to The Arrogant Butcher and try their cheese fondue with pretzels. I would fly back just to have those again!

Room Tip: Try to get a corner suite through an online deal
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Smartymarmy
bdellergo, Manager at Westin Phoenix Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2011

Jattcf, thank you for your comments about your recent stay. While I am glad that you enjoyed it after the difficulty with your arrival process, I am sorry that your stay did not start off on the right foot. We have reviewed your feedback with our operations team to improve our process to expedite the resolution of this type of situation in the future, so your feedback has helped us improve our service levels - and for that, I thank you!

That said, I am glad you were able to experience one of our suites - the rooms are so spacious, and how about that free-standing soaking tub with 180 degree views of the city through floor to ceiling glass!

Thank you once again for staying with us, and please do come visit again soon should your travels bring you back to the Valley of the Sun.

p.s. If you like fondue, be sure to try our Goat Cheese Fondue in Province next time, too!

Be well,

Reviewed 20 May 2011

I have never reviewed a hotel before in my life, But the Westin Hotel in Phoenix was so spectacular that I just had to do so. The staff is welcoming and highly competent, the rooms are spectacular, and there is an amazing restaurant on site. This is one of the finest hotels I have stayed in anywhere in the world.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank traveladvisor1323
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Beautiful hotel, brand new but service was terrible in the restaurant. Over two hours one night and over an hour for breakfast. Also the pool is still not open which is an issue when there's really nothing going on in downtown Phoenix on a weekend.

Service from the staff was excellent tho from the valet to check-in everyone went out of their way to be helpful.

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank Frabbit1
bdellergo, Manager at Westin Phoenix Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2011

Greetings Frabbit1,

Thank you for your recent review of your experience with us at the Westin Phoenix Downtown and Province restaurant. I appreciate your honest feedback about your time with us.

I sincerely apologize for the experience you had at Province for both dinner and breakfast, as this does not sound to be of our standard - especially for breakfast, where we understand that an expeditious meal is critical to helping you begin your day being at your best.

We are carefully monitoring the timing of our service by each meal period to meet and exceed the expectations of our guests. We always encourage our Province patrons to inform their server of any time constraints so that we may tailor the experience, but clearly, it sounds as if in your situation we missed the mark.

We are working to expedite the completion of the pool deck and we do always keep our guests informed of any hotel annoucements and general information on our hotel website, westin.com/phoenixdowntown

I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the Westin Phoenix Downtown.

With regards,

Reviewed 27 April 2011

I read the five stellar reviews and have to disagree strongly with the glowing reviews of this hotel. Yes, it is new and with that come lots of problems. The worst is the air conditioning vent., It blows all the time, and you CANNOT turn it off. That's for supposedly green reasons. How can that be? The thing blows in every room 24/7. That's insane. So you have generally cold air blowing on your face all night long. Not fun. and doesn't exactly make for restful sleep. The restaurant is horrible. The food is well below average and quite expensive. We had breakfast and it was barely edible. The pool deck is closed and not slated for opening for several more months. The stairwell is locked from the inside, so if you get in, you can't get out anywhere but the bottom floor but there's no notice of that. They try to not make up the room or bring you towels unless you specifically ask for clean towels.

On the good side, the staff is polite and generally helpful. They try hard to rectify the myriad problems, but ultimately there's only so much they can do. the gym is well maintained and the free bottled water is a nice touch. I think what was most disappointing is that the hotel looks really nice but below the surface there lay hidden a lot of problems and they really interfere with a pleasant stay. Wish I could have been more positive.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank Rumpelstilzkin
bdellergo, Manager at Westin Phoenix Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2011

Rumpelstilzkin, thank you very much for your candid feedback about your stay.

I am very apologetic that you did not find your experience with us to be a renewing one. We strive to make our guests feel better when they leave, then they did when they arrived - and we clearly did not accomplish that during your stay with us.

Feedback is a gift, and we appreciate your review of your experience with us. We have discussed your experience with our leadership team, and thanks to your feedback, one immediate improvement that we are implementing is the addition of signage to the stairwells to inform guests of this feature (which is a safety measure for the protection of our guests and the other tenants of the building) this week.

We will continue to review the other feedback you have provided, as we do with all guest communication, to refine the service and experience that we deliver to our valued guests.

I hope you offer us the opportunity to show you our intended experience when your travels bring you back to Phoenix.

Respectfully,

Reviewed 25 April 2011

I stayed at the Westin Downtown last weekend. It was my first time but I'm sure I'll be back. The service eas great starting with the valet team. Check in was smooth and the rooms are amazing. My room was huge and had floor to ceiling windows with a great view of the city. Thank you Westin team for a great trip!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you, mjculbreth, for your kind feedback! I hope you enjoyed your weekend getaway to Downtown Phoenix - isn't it great that Downtown Phoenix has transformed itself in to an urban destination?

I hope you had some time to explore Downtown during your stay - between catching a baseball game at Chase Field, a concert at US Airways or Comerica Theater, enjoying the emerging dining scene around the city, the Arizona Science Center, Phoenix Children's Museum, - the list goes on and on. In fact, Stand Up Live, Phoenix's newest comedy club featuring 600 seats in a state-of-the-art venue, just opened last week - one more reason to journey Downtown!

We hope you visit us again soon, and if you will have any time to enjoy all that Downtown Phoenix offers, please do not hesitate to contact our Concierge team to help you plan your excursions.

Be Well,

Reviewed 12 April 2011

The hotel just opened and I think that we were the first people in our room. The decor of the hotel is spectacular, the beds are really heavenly and the view was great. Westin really went out of their way to make this hotel special. The staff is new, but they worked hard to make our stay wonderful. My only complaint is that they could have had more light in the room, particularly the bathroom. Also parking is expensive at $27.00 per night. Overall, a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your feedback, a0002140. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Westin Phoenix Downtown.

The Heavenly Bed is such a rejuvenating experience - and, we have some of the quietest rooms I've ever experienced, thanks to solid concrete floors, thick walls and stone thresholds below our solid-wood doors - all combine for a perfect night's sleep that will leave you feeling well-rested and ready to seize the day.

We hope our guests find value in the convenience of valet parking and we do our best to price this service appropriately for the Downtown market.

You know we have a Heavenly Bed waiting for you upon your return - I look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Phoenix Downtown next time your journeys bring you to the Valley of the Sun.

Reviewed 26 March 2011

This Westin just opened and it is clear the company took the time and money to do it right, including training an excellent staff. The rooms are spacious with nice views of the Valley of the Sun; flirts are named after the mines of the building's other tenant, Freeport-McMoRan. Room service and the restaurant, Province, are also top notch. This is a welcome addition to downtown Phoenix where the existing hotels are showing their age. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: March 2011

Frequent_Traveler724,

Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay at The Westin Phoenix Downtown. The thing I appreciate most about your feedback is your comment about our associates - we feel very strongly that our team makes all the difference for our guests and hired a team that is truly passionate about providing renewing, energizing customer service to guests at both the hotel and Province restaurant.

A fun trivia fact - as you note - not only are all the Hospitality Suites named after Freeport McMoRan's mines, all of our meeting rooms are named after minerals that Freeport-McMoRan mines at those locations. We did take some creative liberty - our "Moly" meeting room was abbreviated, when we found that we were all having a hard time prouncing the full name, "Molybdenum."

Thank you again for your review and we hope you come stay with us at The Westin Phoenix Downtown again in the near future.

Be well,