“Large spacious modern room”

Westin Phoenix Downtown
Ranked #7 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Westin Phoenix is a unique modern hotel with typical Westin ammenities. Front desk staff were excellent and knew the area well. Valet staff were very professional and efficient. King room on the top floor was very large with a great view.

2  Thank LTK123

Reviewed 28 October 2012

I travel for my job so I am in hotels almost every week. I am loyal to Starwood but I would think twice about staying at this hotel again.

While the rooms were lovely and spacious, for some reason they have it set so you can NOT turn off the air in the room. Cold or hot you can choose but the air will remain on. If you are sitting at the desk trying to get work done, the air blows right on you, so much so that the curtains move in the wind. When I called down stairs, they said that there was no way to turn it off from the room and that they would send someone up from engineering. He came right away but couldn't turn it off with out unhooking some wiring up inside the closet. Then, if I wanted it back on, he would have to come back and reverse the process. Instead, I had him rearrange the vents which helped a little, but not a lot.

Second, the shower heads are on a moveable track but there is no way to adjust the water to face down, so it comes straight at you.

Third, hotel states that you can have up to three devices on your Internet for your room. I had to log in for two devices and, would you know it, I was charged twice daily for my Internet. The hotel didn't even ask me if I wanted to review my bill when I went to check out. Only when I asked to see my bill did I find the extra charges. Charges were removed.

Lastly, leaving the hotel was not a good experience. I went out to the valet to catch a cab. The valet on duty said that they had cars that could take me. I specifically asked if they were the same prices as a cab and he said yes. When I got to the airport the driver tried to charge me $10.00 more than what a cab would cost. After 5 minutes of arguing I paid him more than I should have and got out of the car.

Needless to say, when I come back to Phoenix, I think I will be staying at the Sheraton instead. Stayed there last time and it was much better than the Westin.

1  Thank 2travelis2live_12
bdellergo, Director of Operations at Westin Phoenix Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2013

2travelis2live_12,

Thank you for taking the time to post this detailed feedback from your stay with us. I am very sorry to hear that you had a few issues in your guestroom; I can only hope that you afforded us the opportunity to make things right for you. We are always happy to respond to any guest request to ensure their stay is comfortable.

We love guest feedback because it helps us to be better! We appreciate very much both your business and your feedback, and we genuinely thank you for both.

Brian Dell'Ergo

Reviewed 15 October 2012

Since the arrival, and even after the check out (requiring spetial service as I forgot some stuff at the room), all the personnel at the front desk, restaurant, room service, etc. is providing nice and personal attention on any single detail.
Congratulations

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Manuel C
bdellergo, Director of Operations at Westin Phoenix Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

Manuel C,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. We are delighted to hear that your stay, from beginning to end, exceeded your expectations. Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Phoenix Downtown when your travels bring you back to Phoenix.

Be Well,

Reviewed 15 October 2012

As a Starwood Platinum I have stayed at many Westins. This hotel raises the bar for the others! Job well done! Service, rooms, location and experience here is what Westin intended.....take the time to stay. Check out the local establishments and relax on the patio outside.....

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Gguy2334

Gguy2334,

We love hearing from our valued Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum members - thank you so much for your loyalty to Starwood, as well as your comments regarding your recent stay. We know you have a choice of brands when you travel, and your business means a lot to us. Thank you!

Reviewed 15 October 2012

The hotel is beautiful. The rooms are comfortable and roomy. The beds are great.

It ends there.

The service is horrendous. When the front desk manager provides you with a deactivated room key after a late check-in, you tell yourself it's just a fluke. When you run down to the lounge to grab breakfast prior to your 9am meeting, and the pans are stuck with leftovers from the night before, you might be frustrated, but you tell yourself this kind of thing happens from time to time.

Over a two month period, I stayed at this Westin five times. Looking back, I am surprised that this hotel is able to carry the Westin (and Starwood) name.

Admittedly, the beds are comfortable and rooms are spacious. That doesn't mean much, though, when you end up with scabies all over your legs, chest, arms, and crusted between your hands as a result of one of their beds. It took over three weeks for the itching to go away after taking the medication.

When the front desk billed the wrong credit card to settle charges at the end of the week, I contacted the billing department. I left a few messages with the billing and accounts manager who promptly returned my first call, but hasn't returned any others.

Yes, this Westin is beautiful. But the service is horrendous. I, for one, am not willing to get another round of scabies. I like to eat in the morning. I like my room key to work after a long day. And I can't afford billing errors. As a result, I will not be going back to this "Westin." And I most certainly will do a better job researching hotels on an individual basis.

This hotel cannot be trusted.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank DanSFCA

DanSFCA,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. We clearly did not meet your expectations, and for that, I sincerely apologize.

Further, I appreciate the time you took to speak with me on the phone last week about your experience, and giving us the opportunity to make the situation right. I know it may be hard to re earn your trust, but if you should give us the opportunity, we would welcome the chance to show you our true level of service in the future.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience. Feedback is a gift, and with details such as yours, are we able to continually improve the experience that we deliver to all of our guests.

Reviewed 13 October 2012

Enjoyed several nights in a spacious, nicely-designed modern room. Great views, huge bathroom with luxurious shower. Nice front desk staff. The bar scene can be VERY loud to obnoxious, so you might opt to sit outside and have wait service. I left instructions for the maid with my tips, while the room was serviced, the instructions AND the tip were both ignored! Perhaps a language barrier? Upon checkout, I mentioned the incredibly slow speed of the internet and they said they'd share the concern with the IT dept.
This is one of the better hotels I've enjoyed in Phoenix.

2  Thank YaleDad

YaleDad,

Thank you for the comments about your recent stay! Our guests do tend to be unanimous when it comes to design of the rooms - at 540 square feet, we're confident you won't find larger "standard" room sizes anywhere else downtown - and they're exceptionally well designed for both work, and pleasure!

I do apologize for the notes you provide about housekeeping and the ambient noise in the lounge. As you note, our beautiful outdoor lounge area is a great alternative, or we are happy to bring up one of our signature, handcrafted cocktails to the pool deck as well!

The Front Desk did pass along your comment about the speed of internet. We do have a tremendously fast internet circuit, so I'm not sure what happened. We encourage our guests to contact us during their stay, as we can work with our technical support team to diagnose any connectivity issues.

Thank you once again, both for your business, as well as your generous feedback. We sincerely appreciate it, and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Regards,

Reviewed 12 October 2012

Fantastic service. From everyone but most especially from Emily at Province (Rita's meatballs were to die for) and Jeremiah at the bell desk.

The room was stunning. All you come to expect from Westin. Thank you for a special weekend.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank jL8VE

jL8VE,

You left one of my favorite kinds of reviews - the ones that mention our associates by name, are the best - because we get to celebrate them with our team! Thank you so much for your kind words about Emily, Rita, and Jeremiah. We couldn't agree more - they are adept at providing exceptional experiences for our guests!

And, an insider's scoop - we will be unveiling our Fall menu in Province in the next week or two - and it has a great new meatball tapas dish that is to die for! I hope you can come back and try it.

Thank you once again for the kind feedback. We will certainly be sharing it with our team. And, please come visit us again soon!

Be Well,