“Clean - comfortable -”

Holiday Inn Express Phoenix Downtown
Ranked #52 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 13 June 2014

This was where I was booked for a business trip. With local construction, it isn't the most friendly of entry ways. That will change. The rooms are clean and comfortable, although the mattress in my room was showing signs of fatigue. I definitely appreciated having a choice of firm and soft pillows (the former were also aged, so less firm).

Rooms for improvement : The A/C is a little noisy (and you need it in Phoenix!) and the hot water was not sufficiently warm to properly shave.

No luxury, but good enough.

Room Tip: Based upon comments from others -- higher is better (avoid the pool side)
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Phoenix Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Dear DRWMETMAN,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We truly appreciate any feedback you give us. We are happy that you found our rooms clean and comfortable. However, please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations. Your comments about the Air Conditioning unit and room facility will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to be taken into consideration for future upgrades. Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Charisse V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Don't get me wrong- this is a really nice property. The room was clean and spacious. The pool area, which I had to myself for four hours on a Tuesday afternoon, was very pleasant. Breakfast was well stocked.

Easy 10 minute walk to Chase Field- safe, lots of light and through the university area.

My only gripe comes from the noise created by the room heating/air conditioning unit. It was definitely louder than any hotel room I've stayed in. I would describe myself as a sound sleeper, especially away from home without pets to bother me, and I found it necessary to use earplugs after the a/c kept waking me up every time it switched on. Earplugs in and back to sleeping like a baby.

Shower had great pressure!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jillsousa
Marisol G, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Phoenix Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for sharing your experience. I want to apologize for the problems encountered with the A/C unit during your stay. Please know our guests are our number one priority and we will definitely look into this issue. I

On another note, I am glad to learn you were able to enjoy the pool for many hours to yourself, I will tell you it is not often that happens', the pool is usually busy specially being in a hot city like Phoenix. I am also very pleased to hear your room was nice, clean and comfortable. Our staff will be delighted to hear all their hard work continues to pay off!

Once again thank you for your review, I hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Great property! Nice staff. Clean room! I've never seen a basketball court at a hotel before so this was a first. However at 3am it wasn't such a great thing. Also, never had turkey sausage for breakfast buffet which was a welcome change! Walking distance to where I needed to be that weekend (CONVENTION CENTER).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Marisol G, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Phoenix Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Thank you for the wonderful comments in regards to the property and staff. I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. The basketball court is a definite plus, i have to agree it is not often a hotel has one but i do apologize it was used past hours during your stay. We have a policy all amenities with the exception of the business center are closed at 10pm. Again i apologize for the inconvenience this might have caused you.

On another note, our breakfast bar has had a few additions this year with the turkey sausage being one of them. I have yet to try one myself but I have had guest comment on the great new breakfast options. Over all I am happy to hear you were happy with the facility and I hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future!

Regards
Marisol

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Our family was in Phoenix for a night visiting our relatives and we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. Even though we only stayed one night our stay was very good and enjoyable. When we arrived the front desk was very helpful and informative about our stay. The room we were in was nicely cleaned when we got there and the breakfast they had was AMAZING! They had a wide variety and we really enjoyed it. The hotel wasn't absolutely perfect but overall our stay was very nice and we would enjoy staying again

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Marisol G, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Phoenix Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Thank you so much for your delightful review. I am very proud of our staff for their continuous dedication to serve our guest and provide nothing but the best service. I am sure they will also be happy to hear all their hard work has paid off with another one of our guest.

I am so glad you had a wonderful stay and I invite you to continue staying with us again when you are back in Phoenix!

Kind Regards

Marisol

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Unfortunately, this trip was because of a family emergency. My father was airlifted to Phoenix Baptist Neural ICU. Based on location and short notice I chose this hotel and ended up with more than expected. This wasn't just a clean room with a free breakfast in the morning, this was a lot more. When I arrived around 10 pm for check in, my day had already been long and draining. Instantly the front desk clerk picked up on this and did a great job getting me checked in and answered all of my questions. Every evening when I returned he was genuinely concerned in asking if I had eaten or if I needed anything. All the employees I encountered were amazing. I will be back because of that service! The room was super clean and quiet and housekeeping was attentive. The breakfast had a great variety and their pancake machine rocked! As far as the property... it was downtown and I took a short walk every morning around the hotel. I did see an AMC about a block away, so that is good to know for next time. Thank you Eric and also all your amazing coworkers.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Mrstheman

Thanks so much for your wonderful review! We are so proud of our staff for their continous dedication to serve our wonderful guests like you! We're glad that you experienced the best of the best and it can only get better! We look forward to seeing you in the future, the next time you're in town. Thanks again for your time and thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

I am writing this review As I am staying here today. This is my second visit in the past couple months. I wrote one review complaining about the air conditioning environmental controls and how hot it was in the room. Again I am in this room for business and the temperature in my room is still 78 degrees after i have been trying to cool it down past 4 hours. I am done complaining about the temperature in this room. I accept the fact that I should just not bother staying here ever again . I am NOT able to access the internet from this room. I have to go down to the lobby you access the wireless internet . I guess this is what I get for complaining on Tripadvisor on my last review. I will pay more to stay at a better place next month.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank fedjoe
Marisol G, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Phoenix Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

I would like to personally apologize for the series of unfortunate incidences that you experienced during your stay with us. We continually try to do our very best for all of our guests, however in your situation it looks like we have failed. I will look into each issue that you have noted, in an attempt to correct and improve future stays.
Please accept my invitation to contact me to further discuss these issues at (602) 452-2020 or via email at Assistant.manager@hiephx.net.
Again I apologize for the inconvenience and I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

We were in town a short time to visit ASU. The walk to the downtown campus was very short & easy to get to too. We also walked to Chase Field for a Diamondback game - also a quick & easy walk. The hotel & room was clean, quiet and comfortable. The breakfast was more than enough to get our day started, was hot & items were replenished quickly. ALL of the staff were very friendly & accommodating. We will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Kristi T

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We are so proud of our staff for their continous dedication to serve our wonderful guests like you! We're glad that you experienced the best of the best and it can only get better! We look forward to seeing you in the future, the next time you're in town. Thanks again for your time and thank you for staying with us!