“A Must See in Phoenix”

JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Just returned from 5 nights/6 days at the JW Desert Ridge Resort and we cannot say enough about this property. Not only are the grounds beautiful but the service is outstanding. We stayed Aug 15-20.

PROS:

It is not perfect in every way but it is so gorgeous and so well taken care of the pros far outweigh the cons. From the moment you drive up the grand entrance and the doorman opens the door as you enter you will be taken to another world--one of elegance and service.

I traveled with my wife and a teenager plus two small children so we upgraded to a suite and got an attaching room so we would have room to spread out. If you travel in August it is so hot the rates are affordable which allowed us to do this. I called three times to ask for a pool view and to be close to the pools since we knew our little ones would be back and forth. With each call I was moved closer to the pools and we were very satisfied with our room view and location and very satisfied that our request was treated with importance and that we were taken seriously. With small children we knew we would be back and forth from the pools to the room a thousand times so location was important to us.

Having a balcony was awesome as we sat outside almost every morning and evening and used it while the kids napped. And the view of the beautiful grounds was amazing.

My eldest son and I golfed the Faldo Course at Wildfire and had a blast! The course was in great shape and the drink gal that came around was prompt and very fast. The service at the course was phenominal and again the course was in great shape. The golf experience was definitely one of the highlights of our trip.

The slide was perfect for our 4 yr old and we all enjoyed many laps around the lazy river. We did use and enjoy the other pools as well. And the staff helped the kids make smores by the hot tub on Friday and Saturday nights which was a nice touch. The pool food and beverage service was prompt and very good. We used it often as well since the kids wanted to swim day and night!

The resort is just beautiful and the service makes the place even better. We will definitely be back which is the best compliment of all you can give a hotel.

CONS:

The only "bummers" we had were few and in comparison were far outweighed by the staff service and sheer beauty of the resort. The food selection at the Blue Sage was thin and the service was not great at this restaurant. The internet service really should be offered for free at such a fine hotel and it is painfully slow. My 3G phone was faster on the internet so we finally shut off the hotel internet. In this day and age charging you for internet at a 5 star hotel seems a little like nickel and diming. The entrance is so grand that the parking lot for self park is a pretty good jaunt from the resort. My children get up early and swim early AND late so we wished the slide would have opened before 10a.m. and stayed open past 6p.m.

All in all this is a fantastic property!!! We recommend you stay here on your next stay in Phoenix! We certainly will!!

Room Tip: If you are traveling with children who like to swim I would recommend asking for a room as close to...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank WYOMAGS
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa

Reviewed 21 August 2012

nice hotel which makes up the lack of things to do in the middle of the desert. Fun pools and good restaurants. The room are very nice and clean. Good golfing close by. The courses at the resort are much more expensive and not much or at all better than the cheaper public ones around. Hot weather is always a bonus in Arizona

Room Tip: overlooking the pools or golf course are nice
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I was here for a convention and the best part of this hotel is the Griffin Club! It is well worth it - I ate breakfast there every morning, lunch most of the days and drinks and snacks at night. I only went out to dinner once on property and it just didn't compare to the food at the Griffin Club. They have an awesome coffee machine that makes all sorts of coffee - black, cappuccino, lattes, hot chocolate, etc. All of the other convention attendees were in line at Starbucks and I had my to-go cup from the Griffin Club!

The grounds are pretty - I was on east coast time so it was easy to get up before sunrise and walk around the golf course before the first tee time. I saw a coyote one morning when I was walking and then you see lots of rabbits all over. The water is an odd turquoise/artificial blue and that was weird to me - but you are in the desert!

The hotel is way out of town - it was a $70 cab ride. But on my way back into town I stopped at Hertz to rent a car (I was staying a few extra days in town for fun at a different hotel) and I returned the car to the Phoenix airport. I did visit Taliesin West and the tour was great - but I am a huge Frank Lloyd Wright Fan.

Also part of the Griffin Club was daily use of the spa pool. It was very quiet and the padded chairs are wonderful. They are constantly coming around to refill your water. I ate two snack meals here as well as some of the juice and smoothie items. They were great! There is a women only outdoor shower right by the outside entrance to the ladies locker room. I would go back to this hotel just to stay at this pool for a few days!

The room was average and quiet. It was a little dirty when I checked in - I found a comb and hairs on the floor in the bathroom.

Room Tip: I had a room overlooking what I called the "wedding island" and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 August 2012

This is a remarkable place for both conferences and unfettered relaxation. Everything, from the room, to the restaurants, to the grounds was staffed and tidied constantly. People simply go out of their way to make sure that you enjoy your stay.
The rooms are quite large and very very clean. The towels (a mark of any great place) are clean and fluffy. The views are beautiful. Every restaurant was notable for pleasant service, and wonderful food.
I did not partake of the golf course or the spa, but colleagues who did found them to be wonderful.
Several quick things: charging for internet access given the class and style of the place is really uncalled for.
Airport transportation should probably be provided - within certain constraints of time/days of the week, of course.
Everything else was quite remarkable.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 August 2012

This place is absolutely AMAZING. The hotel is gorgeous and the myriad of pools to choose from is endless. The golf course is beyond beautiful and the restaurants are very tasty. Stayed here for an anniversary and got very decent service from hotel staff. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Spent a day at the spa and got absolutely pampered. The grounds are picturesque, the scenery is unbelievable and this is everything you will want in a hotel. I definitely recommend coming here.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Boston_Scaught
Reviewed 19 August 2012

The JW Marriott at Desert Ridge is a great hotel with great amenities: 2 Golf courses, several excellent restaurants; Meritage Steakhouse and Roy's both with great food, ambiance and a excellent wine list. The grounds are beautiful, a long lazy river and excellent swimming pools.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the grounds
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Frank O
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Was participating in a lecture at SPEAR Institute and was verey satiefied with the hotel, esspecially Griffin Club where we had some great times, including the Champions League final in the middle of the day - Great food and drinks, thx!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank CarstenBlok
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!