“Great holiday”

JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

We spent 10 days at the Desert Ridge over Thanksgiving. There was a leak in our room the first morning and we were upgraded to a luxurious suite for the rest of our stay. We enjoyed the Griffin club where the staff are exceptional and made us very welcome. The only poor experience was a visit to the Meritage restaurant but the hotel management made up for this. Despite some poor weather we had a good holiday. The concierge parking valet and bell service were all friendly and efficient. The Christmas street display made out of gingerbread was quite outstanding.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JIAUk
MarriottDesertRidge, Social Media Specialist at JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Thank you for your review! We are so pleased that you chose our resort during your holiday and we love to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Our Griffin Club is an amazing experience, thank you for sharing that in your review for others who may be thinking of staying with us! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 11 December 2013

The staff here are outstanding and have been extremely well trained. However, the internet is dreadfully slow. It takes forever to get registered then once you get on it is painful. Even in the middle of the day during the week it is slow. Do not stay here if you have a lot of busines work to do.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Canadian T
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My husband and I have stayed at some very nice hotels, and we thought there was a good chance that a JW Marriott would measure up. He was attending a conference. I planned on relaxing, reading, and getting some writing done (I'm an author.) Conferences aren’t generally for relaxation, so before I quibble, I must state that I realize this. Plus, all you have to do is go on Trip Advisor and note that one person’s paradise hotel is another’s motel hell. Everyone has their pet peeves. You can usually tell the reviewer that is being unreasonable and the one that has a legit concern.

At the same time, I’m always amazed that the hotels that often talk about how wonderful and relaxing they are sometimes...aren’t. This particular hotel is huge. We were given an upgraded room, which meant we had a poolside view (we were on the second floor). We were supposed to have a king bed room but it ended up being two “oversized double beds.” Ahem. It was two regular sized double beds. I’ve had double beds and they were exactly this size…they aren't oversized. Not that I was going to complain about it, but it made me laugh...that whole marketing it to the customer as something special when it isn’t. Beds were hard as rocks, pillows flat. Typical standard hotel beds. As a regular room goes the only thing better than a regular room was the separate bathtub and shower...so that made the bathroom bigger than a regular hotel room. If I’d been paying regular price rather than conference rate, I wouldn’t have been impressed with this room for the price.

I will say that the restaurant food was very good and the staff both at the restaurant and in other areas were very polite and friendly.

Next morning around nine o’clock or so they started playing some sort of loud music out toward the pool. If I wanted to nap and relax, no chance of that. I could hear the music plainly with the sliding glass doors closed. Couldn’t hear the words, but the droning sound went on and on. If I’d been on a lower floor how loud would it be? It was in the 40’s out, so no one was in the pool. I figured the music would go off. It didn’t. I finally called the front desk around 1:30 to say that the loud music would ensure that anyone looking for peace and quiet wasn’t going to get it. Even after I complained (very politely), and they said they’d have security look into it, nothing happened. The music continued at the same volume, as far as I could tell. Wait...they might have turned it down a half notch. It wasn’t as loud, but it was still loud. I could even tell which songs were being played...it was loud enough for that. Three hours later, after the pool closed, they turned off the music.

It did occur to me that maybe I was being sensitive. After all, this is a resort that is hosting hundreds of people. Most of those people aren’t in their rooms--they’re attending workshops, presentations, etc. Maybe it was a restaurant downstairs that plays music. Maybe there is reunion or wedding reception? If it’s a party of course they’re going to have music. Then I thought about it again...was I being unreasonable? No. Music that loud? Really? At a resort that touts itself as being one of the most luxury-oriented?

Here’s where I have to qualify my statements with this disclaimer. Relaxation, or what qualifies as relaxation for one person isn’t the same for everyone. But when you insist on playing music like this where people have to remove themselves to another area or complain it doesn’t get you new or returning customers. It just guarantees I won’t come back to your establishment. I’ll also be certain to tell everyone else about my experience, too. That way the people who don’t like loud music might decide it isn’t the experience they’re looking for either.

For a vacation in Scottsdale there are better places. We won't be staying at this property again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Deli8

We would first like to thank you for your review of our resort. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations. We agree on your thoughts that relaxation is not the same for everyone, but we are sorry to hear that we did not offer you a relaxing experience. If you could reach out to us at jwdesertridgefacebook@marriott.com with your contact information, we’d love to speak with you directly regarding this noise issue and would love to have you come join us again to see that we can offer you a great experience at our resort. Thank you!

Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

Service is perfect, rooms very comfortable, good food. So the problem? Very inconvenient parking for non valet with the valet parked cars actually blocking the sidewalk to the main entrance.

The conference interior seems a bit dated.

Good, of course - just not great or perfect.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 December 2013

From start to finish this was a top notch facility. Everyone completely anxious to take care of you and very friendly. And the place is gorgeous, inside and out. Like arriving at Versailles in the desert. And the rooms were beautiful, mine certainly had a view of brown hills and cerulean blue sky. The bathroom was a spa in itself. The bed was a work of art out of pillows.

There were fire pits outside so you could gather around them with a cocktail. We did not use any of the spa facilities as we were visiting friends over Thanksgiving so cannot comment there.

I'm guessing that normal rates may be pricey, but we got in at a really fantastic price by booking a few weeks ahead. Definitely on my return to list.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anne H
MarriottDesertRidge, Social Media Specialist at JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Wow, Versailles in the desert – what a wonderful compliment, thank you! We are so pleased that you chose our Resort while spending time with friends and hope this will become your “meeting spot” with your friends again in the future! Thank you!

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Was with family over the Thanksgiving holiday. Arrived on Tuesday, stayed until Saturday. Not sure how close to capacity the hotel was, but never really seemed crowded, which was nice. I'm sure layout and spaciousness of the hotel has so etching to do with.

Nice swimming areas, from pools to lazy river. Plenty to do for the kids. Golf course (Wildfire) was in very good condition, and staff was friendly.

Ate at Meritage for thanksgiving dinner. Had thanksgiving menu, along with regular menu. Food was very good, though little pricey.

Hotel conveniently located to shopping.

Overall nice trip and location

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 December 2013

The service, from the front desk to the housekeeping staff, was fantastic. I didn't catch the name of the absolutely friendliest door man ever. But he knows who he is! The room was a bit small but nicely decorated and had a good view of the surrounding mountains. The bed was comfy and the bathroom was very nice. The grounds, the pool area, the lobby, the fire pits, all were just great. We eat one night at the upscale steakhouse which was really good. We also walked to the outdoor shopping area down the street but were happy to have the shuttle driver spot us walking home and pick us up. As far as the conference I attended, their was plenty of room for the meetings and they did a great job catering to all 1000+ of us for the indoor and outdoor dinners, lunches, etc... .

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank OliverTwist66

Thank you for sharing your travel experience with us. We must agree with you, we believe our doorman might be the friendliest in all of Arizona! We’re thrilled you enjoyed your time for both business and pleasure and hope to have you back to stay with us again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Desert Ridge
Marriott's Canyon Villas
Marriott's Canyon Villas
#21 of 174 in Phoenix
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!