“Off to a bad start”

JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 173 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

As I type this review, I am still waiting for my rooms with my husband and 4 children. We have been traveling since 6am and it is 4:17 with no rest in sight. We pulled up to several valets sitting outside and no one approached our car. We locked it and went inside to see bell hops sitting around their desk and no one offering to help with our 6 pieces of luggage. My husband approached them and they were kind enough to help. We proceeded to the front desk and neither of our two rooms were ready. We saw others checking in and getting cute balls for their kids- I had to ask for ours. After wasting an hour throwing around our begged for balls, we went back to find our rooms (not even one!) was ready. We noticed wrist bands in several guests and were told that the front desk gives them out at check in for water ice by the pool. That must have slipped Ryan's mind at check in as well. So far the only helpful person has been the girls in the family fun center where we are making our camp with 5 backpacks and 4 kids. I am ready to check out before even getting in- worst service ever!!! Not impressed and won't be returning- nor will I be recommending this place to anyone.

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank 2b4twins
MarriottDesertRidge, Social Media Specialist at JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank you for your review. We know how stressful traveling can be and we are deeply disappointed that you arrival experience went so poorly. We do understand that our staff was in communication with you during your stay and we hope that they jumped into action to turn things around for you to make the remainder of you stay a wonderful one! We are pleased that your family enjoyed their time with the staff at our Family Escape. We hope that you will join us again to experience the true top level of service that we are known for.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,791)

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We arrived on a Friday evening to escape another cold weekend in MN.
Transportation: Took Super Shuttle from PHX airport (booked off link from airport web site) to hotel which went surprisingly smoothly, paid 70$ one way. Very Easy. No need for car at least for a long weekend unless you want to hike Camel Back or do some other destination type excursion then you might prefer a car. We were just looking to relax at pool, golf and take advantage of the spa.
Check In: Fast but not helpful, couldn't accommodate upgrade to a suite (willing to pay), no resort "orientation" which would have helped us to enjoy the facility more. Had to discover things as we went. Were never told about the amenities we could have enjoyed with the resort fee we were charged 25$ a day for that included things like access to the Revive Spa Gym, Complimentary Bike Rental, Free Appetizer at Dinner, Free internet, Golf Club storage and transport to the courses, Free access to driving range, just to name a few. We only realized what we could have had at checkout when we asked about the charge on the bill. When we inquired and told them we had had not been aware they credited 3 of the 4 days.
Dining: We ate at Stone Grill, Pool Side, Resort Food Trucks and Revive Spa Bistro. Stone Grill was very nice with lovely outdoor seating and a reasonable kids buffet which was a big hit for our gang. Splash Bar made GREAT drinks but spendy (15$ margarita). If you like pina coladas this is a good one. There is also an upscale mall with other dining options directly across the street (tunnel access so you don't even have to cross at a light). If you like to stroll no need to take the shuttle to them mall that they offer. The walk is only about 10-15 mn tops with nice landscape along the way. At the mall we ate at Paradise Cafe one morning (like Panera) and Yard House one night to escape the 23$ resort entrees. Yard House was pretty decent American Bistro type food, outdoor seating available everywhere.
Room: Nothing Special, nice size bathroom.They wheeled up a cot for our third child immediately upon our arrival and set it up.
Service: For the most part servers and hotel employees were very friendly and helpful! Maid service was always very late in the afternoon. Sometimes a hassle if you were getting an early start on getting read for dinner.
Grounds: Immaculate, tranquil great place to walk or jog. Get complimentary trail map from Revive Spa on your first day.
Pools: Super fun for families. Not terribly hard to get a chair but if you want to get to a certain area get there early. The lazy river was great for adults and children alike. Live music and or Dj was a very fun touch. Really felt like you were on vacation. If you are coming for a couples trip you might consider the Revive Spa Pool (think Mad Men episode) classic and beautiful but very very quiet. I only mentioned that because our weekend really seemed to have a ton of kids.
Spa: I booked a facial and and brightening body scrub on two separate days. Revive Facial was awesome. I was lucky enough to have had Angela perform both services. My 7 year old daughter had the Children's Mani Pedi (does not stay on well with all that pool time, not for lack of our technician trying.. Karyn? she was great with my daughter) . With spa services (adults) have all day access to all the spa amenities including pool, steam, sauna and locker. You can also purchase spa access alone for 35$ a day. Exercise classes are 15$ and are in the spa but do not include access to spa amenities.
Golf: My husband and sons golfed twice. They spoke highly of the courses and said it was a toss up between Palmer and Faldo and each liked them for different reasons. Sorry not a golfer so I won't go on. Clubs stored at course was great for me, I can't imagine living with 3 sets of clubs in our room! They said the service at the club and attached steak house was great. It was during the Masters so they hung around there for awhile to watch on the TVs.
The Great Lawn: I don't even know if that is what is was called but it is one of the most special things about the Resort. There is a lawn that sprawls out before the pools and the golf courses. In the evening while the parents sit by the fires or dine at the restaurants all the children in the resort seemed to convene on the lawn. They organized their own games and made lots of friends. It was really kind of magical and old fashioned to watch.
In a nut shell....great trip, good service, beautiful hotel, so so rooms, good food and kinda spendy once your there. Have a fun trip! We did!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
MarriottDesertRidge, Social Media Specialist at JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are so thrilled to hear you were able to enjoy many aspects of the resort from the pool areas, the lawn and firepit and we loved hearing of the father son golf and the Spa with children’s pedicure – what great adventures. We do sincerely apologize in the lack of explanation upon check in on our resort fee – it does include many great amenities. We have passed on your comments to our Front Office Management staff to ensure all guests are walked through both what is included in our Resort Fee along with the wonderful amenities our resort has to offer during their check in experience.

We hope to welcome you and your family back to the resort in the near future!

Reviewed 15 April 2014

First off the staff is very 'service' orientated which made us feel very welcome and taken care of during our stay. We were allowed to check-in early and 'Stephanie' went above and beyond in accommodating our room request. The grounds are pristine with lots of area for walking and exploring. We opted for a room with two double beds vs a single King due to the proximity to the lobby and how it faced out toward the pool area. If you're not ready to share a double bed then I don't recommend you go this route, but it worked fine for us. Its a large property with several restaurants including Roy's. There are several large (and smaller) pools along with a 'lazy river' which is just plain fun and relaxing for all ages - very family friendly resort. You would never have to leave if you just wanted to chill, but at the same time you are located near (10 minute drive) the McDowell Sonoran Preserve if you 'd like to get out for a hike. We'll be back!

Room Tip: There are events at this property almost every day/night so depending on where your room is located...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We truly appreciate you sharing your experience with others travelers. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your time at the resort and hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the resort soon!

Reviewed 15 April 2014

My teenage daughter and I just returned from a four-night stay at this hotel. Overall, we had a very nice time -- so if you're booked for a convention here, no worries, it's a nice enough place. This is definitely a convention hotel, with a few families and couples sprinkled in. First off, wow, this place is noisy! I don't ever remember having my sleep interrupted on a consistent basis at any other hotel the way I did here -- because of noise both outside (at outdoor seating areas for bar and restaurants) and inside (loud, echoing, cavernous lobby areas). Worst was on Saturday when both my daughter and I were suddenly awakened at 2:30 by a band playing outside for about 20 minutes (yes, I timed it). Band was shut down in fairly short order -- maybe unauthorized noise from a wedding or something? -- but that was pretty annoying. We slept pretty well by cranking up the air conditioning just for the white noise. Ugh. Pool area was great, service and food not so much. Lots of space at pool and never felt really crowded. Veggie burger ("bean and grain burger") was tasteless mush that fell apart as you ate it -- we stuck to chips and salsa the next day. Smoothies for my daughter good, pina colada for me was also good. Service slow, plus servers never cleared garbage away -- had to wait for a separate clean up person to come around. Pitchers of water available at several spots around the pool -- but they never mentioned this to us when we walked in and had to receive the mandatory wrist band (ugh again). I asked a server for a pitcher of water; one day the server happily brought me water, the next day a different server said "somebody will be around with water pitchers." Yes, 2 hours later someone was "around" with the water pitchers, but by then I'd fetched it myself, as I did most of the time. No, not that big of a deal (fortunate if that's my biggest problem for the day, right?), but room for improvement. Really enjoy breakfast outdoors at Stone Grill, and dinner outside at Roy's. Close to Desert Ridge mall, lots of teen stores which my daughter enjoyed, and fun to walk around. If you're coming for a convention, you'll be fine and enjoy your time. If you're planning a destination vacation, I'd suggest looking somewhere else -- this hotel doesn't feel that special.

Room Tip: Read the website carefully -- rooms will be exactly as they state (note 2 double beds, not queen bed...
1  Thank travelplannermom

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are pleased to hear that overall your experience was pleasant. We were however, extremely disappointed to hear of your dissatisfaction in a few areas of the resort. We have shared your comments with our management staff to review and would ask for you to reach out to us directly at
jwdesertridgefacebook@marriott.com to speak with you in more detail on your stay. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your meals outside at Stonegrill and Roy’s. Our Arizona weather is perfect for dining al fresco. We hope to have the opportunity to visit us again to allow us in creating you a most memorable experience.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Beautiful property, great service, and they really try to make it a great experience for all! This is a BIG property (950 rooms?), and even though it was crowded, you never felt "packed in." The employees work hard, carry big smiles, and go that extra mile to make the stay special. It's not cheap, but nothing in this category is. If you want a solid 4+-star property, this one should be high on your list.

Of course, the pool area is at the heart of the relaxation, and it delivers. You can be in the thick of the crowd or get away from them with all the different places that are available. All the kids looked like they were having a ball.

Highly recommend this one if you are staying in Phoenix.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dukester
MarriottDesertRidge, Social Media Specialist at JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again on your next trip out to Phoenix, Arizona!

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Im am or should I say was, a 15+ year gold/platinum Marriott member, but after this stay that has changed. Shame on you management of this location. I'm writing this review almost one year after my stay in hopes Marriott would redeem themselves from emails and calls to platinum customer service. To no avail. My sister and I went to celebrate her 50th birthday and were traveling as "casual tourists". Ironically I happen to work for the large financial institution that was having their annual meeting whilst I was there as tourist. Oh how different you are treated when not in business attire! I'm treated as a VIP when traveling on business, on points (built over 15 years) another story.
I do admit the grounds, rooms and pools are nice, but the service and staff - total snobbery! I'm giving this hotel one star, that being for Randy the security associate who assisted when my sister fell down the marble steps, not only did she cut her hand extremely badly, her entire lower back and buttocks were bruised black and blue. Whilst Randy was patching her up the front desk staff and manager lingered about the entrance chatting amongst themselves! If I had been a guest of this hotel with my employee as oppose to a tourist this would have been totally different.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank TanyaRh

We appreciate you sharing your comments. We are deeply disappointed to learn of your experience last year at our resort. We would like you to reach out to us directly at jwdesertridgefacebook@marriott.com to discuss your comments in full detail and hopefully have you come back and join us to allow us to show you true guest service provided to each guest.
Thank you.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

I always say that a trip is with kids and a vacation is without your kids. This was a vacation with our kids!

From the moment the bell men open the door for you to the signing of the final bill, JW Marriott Desert Ridge didn't fail to impress. The hotel and grounds are gorgeous, there are so many pools, a great lazy river, small water slide and so many other things to do, our five kids (5 - 11 yo) swam, played, explored, crafted things and had a wonderful time while we were able to relax, have poolside drinks and food, while enjoying ourselves, too!! I understand there is an adult only pool and activities that sounded lovely - maybe on another trip! At the pool snack bar, they handed out free Otter Pops to the kids. This was a great idea, because it kept our kids happy and busy, which let us stay longer at the pool and relax - happy kids=happy parents!

We took the complimentary shuttle each day to the Desert Ridge Marketplace - tons of shops, restaurants, and a movie theater. It did get a little hot, so that was a nice break from the sun. The fitness room was nice and clean, had weight machines, dumbbells, and plenty of treadmills, elliptical, and stationary bikes.

The bikes are first come first serve, so get there early if you want to do that. They have Hertz and Transtyle at the hotel for car service and rentals. Plenty of restaurants, Starbucks, shops, ice water everywhere, a million towels at the pool, so many thoughtful details. It couldn't have been better.

Thinking hard about a negative was a Kid's meal at the pool was an Uncrustable PBJ that come in a box at the store. A fresh made PBJ for $9 would have been a much better option! Poolside drinks and food is pricey - standard for resorts - but it sure was nice to be waited on for a change!

Everyone we came across that worked there was top notch - Gordon, Natalie, Roxanne, David and Christine especially!

Room Tip: I asked for a lower level room and got one on the lobby level far away from any noise, plus we didn...
2  Thank Catherine S

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We certainly appreciate you sharing your experience with other possible guests. We are pleased that we created “happy kids=happy parents” moments for you and your family! We did just start the “VIK” (very important kid) program where we offer kids who have a “VIK” wristband free Otter Pops by the pool area, so we’re pleased to hear that they enjoyed that amenity! And we appreciate your comments on our staff - we will certainly share these with them!
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Desert Ridge
Marriott's Canyon Villas
Marriott's Canyon Villas
#22 of 173 in Phoenix
Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
#53 of 173 in Phoenix

Been to JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!