“Nice place but beware your stuff may go missing”

JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 173 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 1 July 2014

It is a nice resort with beautiful pools but at the end of the day I went looking for my stuff things were missing. Earrings and facial products were missing. The managers pretty much don't care. So just beware of things that you like cause people who work there may like them too.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank Lisa P
MarriottDesertRidge, Social Media Specialist at JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time at resort and poolside. We are however, disappointed to read your comments on your missing items. When following up with our Management team, we found that they did their best to assist in finding your missing items and compensated you for them when they were not able to locate them so that you could purchase new ones of everything missing. If this experience did not meet your full expectations, please contact us to discuss in further details. Thank you.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,792)

Reviewed 30 June 2014

After the winter we had in Chicago. I had snow until middle of April on the ground in our yard I was ready to find a place warm and I mean really warm to go to. Find me a desert anywhere was my motto......

Lo and behold I found this little gem. Excited about the reviews and pictures I quickly booked two adjoining rooms for my family of 4.

A week before arriving I had to endure all the heat warning and updates from my kids about how no one will go there. To later laugh at them as we were arriving to a place bubbling with activity. The place earned first impression wow points. You just knew it was going to be a good time. This was before I saw the pool area.......later on that...

The hotel has at least 4 major restaurants with romantic outside bars to enjoy evening cocktails. and a really cool bar/lounge. All of it was attached to the grand lobby area which is many levels. You could stay in the hotel and not leave is what first came to my mind. The rooms were great as well as the services to get you to your room..

I traveled with my college level kids. My non-sun-loving son kept himself busy with the golf course even in the heat... as well as my husband. They do have biking available for" Tri athletes" in training and the work out area is very well appointed.

We also rented a boat on Lake Pleasant It is a reservoir and very deep so you better know how to swim. Great place!! Fun Fun Fun!!

Shopping-Dining is all good!!! The Urban Outfitters, Nordstrom's and Zara can all be found at Fashion Square in Scottsdale. Check out Old Town and Yard house for shopping and dinner fun while you are there.

Saving the best part for LAST!!!!!!

The pool is spectacular....Three levels of pools and cascading waterfalls surrounded by Palm trees. I was in heaven. Pools water refreshingly cool and breezes make you feel cold when you come out of the pool. Menu at pool bar extensive. Watch your drink prices but bar has happy hour from 3-6.

Good place have fun!!

Tons more to say....I would recommend hovering by the pool during the day. Play at night. Go there and discover it for yourself!! I came back to weather in Chicago in the 60's.....UGH!!!!

Room Tip: I prefer the top level for room location. Pool view was my choice. For a couple of nights we occupi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Need2ski2

Thank you so much for sharing your detailed review with our future travelers. We are so pleased that you found so much "fun in the sun" during your vacation, filled with golf, lakes, shopping and pool time - sounds like the perfect vacation. We hope that when you need to warm up again from some of that cold Chicago weather, we will have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to the resort!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Overall a great property. I stay here every year for a golf trip and it is a great time. The pool is wonderful and very relaxing during the week. During the weekend it is a mini Vegas, so be careful if that is not the atmosphere you are looking for. It is crazy with a ton of people in the pool.

Restaurants are all very good in the hotel but over priced. Breakfast buffet at Rockwood Grill is good.

AC in our room didn't work as well as expected. They tried to fix it but it didn't do anything. Disappointing there especially after getting a suite.

Both golf courses are absolutely fantastic!

Room Tip: View of the pool is great!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ThatBGuye

Thank you for your review. We are so pleased to hear that we are your yearly spot for your golf trip and thank you for your loyalty! We are disappointed that you had a poor experience with the air conditioning in your suite and hope that you were offered to move to another room, if available, that was in working order. We look forward to welcoming you back again next year!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My family stayed two nights here for our Arizona vacation. We all loved it.
We chose the two doubles room with a balcony that had $100 nightly room credit.
First, the room was wonderful - super large bathroom with walk in shower, large sink area and separate tub. The beds were very comfortable, and the air conditioner is in the wall, so no loud unit making a lot of noise in the room.
Second, the food and service in the Stonegrill restaurant was fantastic! Roberto was our waiter and did such a wonderful job, we went back the second night and requested him. He consistently went out of the way to provide us with whatever we wanted. For instance, we like flavored ice tea. We asked if they had flavored tea and he said they didn't but that he might be able to make peach tea for us using the bar ingredients. He did it, and it tasted wonderful!
The food was also very good there. The first night we ordered hamburger, shrimp and grits, nopales salad, and the flat iron steak. All of the dishes were very tasty! The second night we ate the hamburger, fiat iron steak, shrimp enchiladas, and bay scallops. All of the dishes were very good. The second night that we are there, the staff remembered us and welcomed us back like we were family.
Last, the pool area is beautiful and relaxing. We didn't order food or drinks here, but watched as some people did, and it seemed like the wait staff had trouble remembering who had ordered the food. They would come back with plates of food and had to ask where they went.
The resort is large but the staff are very helpful about helping you find your way around and telling you about special events that are going on there.
I wish I could've stayed longer to experience the spa. I would definitely come back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your review for our future travelers! We are so thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, especially enjoying such a great culinary experience at Stonegrill. We hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort again soon!

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We enjoy coming to the Desert Ridge JW Marriot for weekend staycations. The staff is always very polite and accommodating. The pools, water slide, and lazy river are lots of fun for families. The area is immaculately maintained. The food and drink prices are a bit expensive but when considering the amenities it is well worth it. I would highly recommend the spa for a relaxing massage. The rooms are a decent size and are beautifully decorated. And of course the beds are super comfortable-you can always depend on Marriot for that!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Callie D

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are thrilled that you enjoyed and relaxed with us and we hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Great relaxing destination. I was at the hotel for a conference and still found myself unwinding. Ran into a 4 foot rattlesnake outside the conference center doors on the walkway and I mentioned it to one of the staff and he radioed for some assistance and immediately the snake was relocated. I was impressed with how quickly and calmly it was handled.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank NapGuy
MarriottDesertRidge, Social Media Specialist at JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on your recent stay. Being a desert resort, we do have some interesting wildlife around the property and therefore offer training classes for our staff to handle situations as you mentioned to both take care of our guest’s safety and respect the wildlife. We are so pleased to also hear that you were able to unwind during your conference and hope that whether it’s for business or pleasure, we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

From the moment we arrived we have been treated with respect and a smile. I read the reviews about snobbery and the staff being pompous but I think some people just have an ax to grind. And the other bad reviews I read were all about life not a hotel. So you have allergies or you let you kids ransack the place and got booted! What the heck is Marriott supposed to do about that? Comp your entire stay? Yeah, that's what you wanted, right? Anyway....

The facilities are gorgeous, not just "okay" and that is undeniable. The lazy river pool has me more excited to hang out with my girlfriend while our husbands attend the conference than I would be going to DisneyWorld! Excellent service and the food and drinks are flat out yummy! The staff goes out of their way to make you feel special, (professional server who should be tending bar) James Howard Jr and (Manager/Mr. Personality) Josh Scott! These two guys did an excellent job in taking care of a situation I had. The acting GM, Tom (last name ?) assured me that immediate steps were being taken to mitigate any future incidents and really that's all they can do. Again, life! After speaking with him, an extremely articulate and professional individual, I believe that's exactly what'll happen. Training on how to handle equipment and those with disabilities. Yay!!! The shops, decor and holy cow the restaurants are awesome and well staffed, even on a Tuesday! The fusion with nature is breathtaking. Fountains, waterfalls, flowers, music, lighting, art, nature, wow!!! Honestly, we travel about 30 weeks out of the year and this is by far one of the most pleasant stays I've had at any hotel.

Sure things happen but honestly, can you expect any hotel to predict every single scenario? No! Life happens and we are responsible for our own. Emphasize something that should be a training point and then just enjoy your vacation for crimeny sake!

Make the call, reserve your room at this resort and expect the best because that is what you'll get.....

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Tammy-Sue K

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review for our future travelers. We love that you would choose a day at our lazy river over a day at Disney World – that says a lot! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time spent with us in many areas of the resort and had the pleasure of meeting “Mr. Personality” as you so wonderfully named him - Josh Scott, our Pool Complex and F&B Manager. We did speak with him regarding your situation and we have taken the correct steps to avoid any issues in the future.

It has been our pleasure to have you stay with us and we sincerely hope that we can welcome you back again in the near future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Desert Ridge
Marriott's Canyon Villas
Marriott's Canyon Villas
#22 of 173 in Phoenix
Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
#53 of 173 in Phoenix

Been to JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!