“Excellent place to stay !”

JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stood here for 4 days with my family. Before arriving had some concerns about the high price but the quality of stay Marriot provided matched up with it.
Liked the friendliness of the staff at all points. The only thing is that they do not inform You about various packages they offer so guess I ended up paying some extras but still no regrets. Overall a very pleasant stay.

1  Thank Sunshine_PL
MarriottDesertRidge, Social Media Specialist at JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank you for your review. We are so pleased that we met and exceeded your expectations during your stay and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,745)

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I was here for a conference so this hotel was chosen by a committee but if I were going back to Phoenix this is were I would stay for sure! Everything about this hotel is beautiful, the entrance, the grounds, the views. The bed was so comfortable. Everything about my stay was great, I just wish I stayed an extra day here instead of going to another brand after the conference ended.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Lisa H
MarriottDesertRidge, Social Media Specialist at JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you for your review! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time at the resort. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I returned home this afternoon and couldn't wait to give a rave review. I traveled with my boyfriend and parents to celebrate the 3rd birthday of my nephew, who lives in Scottsdale. For AZ pool getaways, I love the Wigwam (other side of Phoenix) and spent a lot of time researching a place with comparable ambiance, rooms, pools and service in Scottsdale. I was over the moon, and will seek out other JW Marriott properties!

We got there super early Saturday and would have been happy to check our luggage and hit the pool, but the friendly check in man found us two rooms on the same floor for early check in. From him to the woman who checked us out, every single employee we spoke to was smiling and accommodating, and seemed to genuinely want to be there helping guests. The stand-out employee, though, was Lauren the pool server. She went out of her way to make my nephew feel special at his birthday dinner at the Splash restaurant. The rest of the weekend, she was all smiles running around the pool with drink orders, no matter how hot it got.

The king room had walk out patio ( I would recommend the first floor over a higher one with balcony), great bed, black out curtains, a little couch, nice bathroom. I liked the desert-y decor and the open air ambiance of the whole property. The two story lobby was especially impressive.

As for the main attraction of the weekend, the pools were awesome! And I am a pool connoisseur! We enjoyed the skinnier, smaller one before the kids got there. Mellower, more adults atmosphere. The live band at the waterfall pool was really good, and you could hear it from the skinny pool without enduring the mayhem. I am a huge fan of the lazy river, and this one did not disappoint. I can't speak to peak weekends, but we didn't find it crowded and could always get a tube. I loved that it stayed open until 10- we floated around for an hour after supper. The little waterslide was surprisingly fun and the kids loved it. My only recommendation is more umbrellas, or even a section of chairs with a canopy. I love the sun, but it was pretty intense in July!

The food and drinks were expensive, of course, but I will say they were worth it! You'll pay $10-$12 a cocktail at any hotel pool, but these were legit. The Pina Colada had three kinds of rum and a rim of toasted coconut! We were impressed by the quality of the food at the Splash Bar.

We used the gym one day and it had everything you'd need for a real workout and was not crowded. I saw online they have a second gym (at the spa?) that costs money, so I wasn't sure what to expect from the free gym but it was great. A staff member was helpful and very diplomatic when informing some entitled moms that their kids could not be in there playing dodge ball with the medicine balls.

I think we will make the Desert Ridge an annual summer trip! It could not have been more fabulous.

3  Thank Pool_Afficianado
MarriottDesertRidge, Social Media Specialist at JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed review. Guest feedback is essential to maintaining and enhancing each guest experience. We are so pleased that you chose our resort for your vacation and that you truly enjoyed your time spent with us. We see from you review that the Pool Complex was a huge hit for you and your family, and we are very pleased to hear that Lauren helped make your experience with us memorable. We look forward to your next JW Desert Ride Getaway!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I booked this hotel as I had never stayed here before. I paid a total of $185 for 1 night and that included the resort fee, $50 resort credit, and kids eat free under the Swing and Fling package. It was not the cheapest hotel but it was worth it. The fee also included internet, and parking.

They let me check in early so me and my kids could enjoy the pool. However I had trouble finding my room as its only accessible from one side of the lobby and there was a real lack of signage pointing people in the right direction. It took me a couple times to figure out where I was going as the place is huge.

Room and bathroom was nice. A seperate tub and shower and plenty of room.

The pools were awesome. There was also a lazy river. Over by the big pool with a fountain there was also a splash pad. There is also a slide by the lazy river.

The kids eat free turned out to be a bargain. Even though I was the only adult and I ordered 1 adult entree, they comped both my kids meals at the StoneGrill both times. Tuscany was also included in this promo however I was not told I had to make reservations so Sat night we were unable to eat there so we went to Stonegrill. I was annoyed at first as Stonegrill menu was pricey, but I ordered a terrific burger/fries and soda, bill came to $20 and both the kids ate at the kids buffett for free. A dinner tab for 3 of $20 is almost unheard of at a resort. We also ate breakfast at the Stonegrill again my full buffett was a little pricey at $24 but both my kids ate free and they had a great selection and an omelette station.

Service was outstanding. Our fridge in the room did not appear to be working so they sent maintenance up to fix it, it was frozen over. It was quickly repaired and then we got a follow up phone call to make sure it was fixed.

I lost my key so we went to the front desk Sat night to get a new one and the gentleman there gave my kids 2 cute little stuffed animals.

I have to gripe about something so here is a minor complaint. We went to the pool Sun morning and it appears they are really short staffed. People started making their way out to pool about 830am yet no staff handing out water until after 10. It was incredibly hot and with no beverages by the pool until after 10 seems like they need one person with the water cart earlier than 10.

All in all my kids and I cannot wait to stay there again.

2  Thank nocturnalgirl72

Thank you for your review! We are pleased to hear that you and your family had the opportunity to enjoy the Fling and Swing Package. We sincerely apologize that our team wasn’t serving water before 10am at the pool, and can assure you that your comments will be forwarded to the appropriate manager for review. We hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back again soon!

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Had a nice relaxing stay here. Service levels are true JW style. Highly professional from valet car park, through checkin service. The pool area was so relaxing and staff servicing was impeccable. Remember during off season and Sunday/Mondays the italian restaurant is closed. The only miss was when asking if the restaurant was open no one knew. Overall a great spot for families.

Stayed: July 2014
MarriottDesertRidge, Social Media Specialist at JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for your review! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time at the resort. We will continue to educate our staff about certain restaurant closures. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

The front desk experience when checking in was a zoo. All the guests appear confused and it was a complete free for all. The hotel did not appear be prepared for the rush of families checking in at same time. I had to run to my massage appt. I asked for access to lounge or similar privileges I receive at other hotels, but I was told gold status doesn't get me anything.

In evening before dinner, we gave up after 20 mins waiting for a drink in lobby.

Massage was very good, but I was annoyed when they tacked on $59 gratuity for couple massage.

The Tuscany restaurant was great, so our experience got better due to dinner.

Sunday breakfast was a zoo. Again it appeared that they were ill prepared for number of guests.

I feel that JW star pass is a 5 star, but this is 3 in comparison.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank TktPlease

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, especially at Tuscany. However, we are disappointed to hear about your check in experience. We strive to offer a smooth check in to all guests and will certainly forward your comments on to the appropriate Manager to review. Your business is always appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is a very beautiful resort, excellent front desk personnnel service in the hotel, but the restaurant service is very slow and the food does not match up with the hotel. The breakfast is much better than dinner.

1  Thank winsir

Thank you for your review. Guest feedback is extremely important to us and we do appreciate your comments. We are so pleased to hear that you received such wonderful service at the front desk! However, we are disappointed that you had some challenges during your dining experience. We apologize for inconveniences this may have caused and can assure you that your comments will be forwarded to the appropriate Manager to review. We hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Desert Ridge
Marriott's Canyon Villas
Marriott's Canyon Villas
#22 of 174 in Phoenix

Been to JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!