“O.K. Business suites”

Candlewood Suites Phoenix
Ranked #74 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Recently stayed for two days at Candlewood Suites for a business trip. The room was about what you expect. The only real complaints were that the AC unit exuded a cigarette smell (easily cured with a Lysol spray) and some of the television channels were pretty fuzzy. My partner said his TV only received a few channels clearly, but he didn't really watch much. The bathroom floor could use a cleaning with bleach.
The hotel as a whole is clean, has an honor-system "Cupboard" with snacks, frozen dinners, and drinks that is combined with a free laundry (accesible with the room card), a pool and hot tub, and an exercise room.
The location is a bit of a problem as it is on the I17 frontage road. This means that north is the only direction you can go when leaving. To go south, you have to go north and back to the southbound side. The "Enter" sign is small and is obscured by landscaping shrubs until you are just at it. However, the hotel has access to the biking trail of a city park, which means that taking a walk for exercise or fresh air is just a matter of walking through the pool area and out a gate.
Aside from traffic noise from the Interstate, it was pretty quiet. There are signs up all over announcing a renovation project scheduled to start in December 2011. The kitchenette was clean and had just about everything you might need in this sort of room.
Comparing Candlewood to the business suites just south of it, Candlewood is the much better choice.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Jster
Alisha T, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Phoenix, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2012

Thank you so much for your feedback. We appreciate you bringing the smoke smell issue to our attention, we will be sure to address this issue immediately! Also, once our renovation is complete this month we will be receiving all new flat screen TVs with HD, so this should resolve our fuzzy TV issue.

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to post your comments and hope we get the opportunity to serve you again in the future!

Alisha Tillotson

Reviewed 12 September 2011

I called ahead approx. 2-3 weeks and booked the room. The staff member that I spoke with was friendly, informative and accomodating. I arrived here in Phoenix the middle of August. The check-in was seamless and the woman at the front desk very pleasant. She called after about an hour to see if I had everything I needed or if she could be of assistance. Good business! Not sure how old this hotel is, but the owner's have done a nice job in keeping it fairly well updated and very clean. I recently heard that they are going to go through and do an upgrade! I had one issue with noise, but it's due to circumstances they can't control. The location of my original room is right between the stairs and the elevator. I didn't hear too much noise from the elevator, but every time someone went up/down the stairs (and it was often!) it sounded like a herd of elephants coming through my bedroom wall and ceiling! I am a night worker/day sleeper and you can imagine how little sleep I was getting...even with earplugs shoved into my ears! I liked my room and didn't really want to move so I tried sleeping in my living room on the sofa. No go. It was still way too noisy! The desk staff were VERY accomodating and moved me to a different room. I was able to stay on the first floor (my preference) and keep my poolside view! Very nice. They gave me ample time to move and didn't rush me. I'm extremely satisfied with my new room AND the manner in which it was handled! Maintenance is very knowledgeable and quick to respond, housekeeping is excellent as well. Can't say enough good about the front desk staff, too. I will definitely recommend this hotel to anyone I know and will stay here again without hesitation!

Room Tip: I would advise against taking the rooms near the stairwell. It's a carpeted wooden stairwell in...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank leisa40
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I have stayed at this property a few times during my trips to Phoenix. Location (next to I 17) is a big plus.
The front desk staff is helpful. It is moderately priced, especially for extended stay though the property is a bit older.
I would recommend this for a no-frills extended business stay, especially for those looking for a kitchen in suite.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank M B
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Handy to I17 and good check-in. Fully equipped kitchen and lots of channels on the TV.
However . . . I found the bathtub tiny (could have easily been a little wider and longer . . . lots of space). Also, the bath towels were like burlap!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Very comfortable clean rooms at a very reasonable price. Have had some not so nice stays near downtown Phoenix but this was quite the opposite. Self contained and convenient to everything.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank oldsville
Reviewed 20 February 2011

Stayed here on Superbowl Sunday but due to jet lag fell asleep sometime during the second half (this would have been the first time I've ever watched the Superbowl live).
They have an honour system to purchase goods from their little convenience shop which my wife thought was great.
Was trying to have a shower in the morning but unfortunately the little pin you pull up to switch from bath to shower came away in my hand. Flight to Vegas looming so no time to have the problem fixed, but I can tell you that having a shower in a few inches of bath water is no mean feat.
Obviously mentioned the shower problem on check out & was genuinely not expecting anything in return (probably due to the fact that I was excited about going to Vegas) but was pleasantly surprised when I was offered another room to shower in and a refund of my priority points used to purchase the room – that what I call good customer service.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Treborwf
Reviewed 10 December 2010

Maybe we're not the target for this place (family w/ two young kids.) As a suite style hotel, I understand the "self serve" mind set. And if you don't mind being kept up after midnight by a party in the courtyard, then this place might be for you. But I was shocked by the indifference from the staff and management at this hotel when confronted with problems. Specifically, the lack of effort to look for my children's coats that we had left in the closet of the room after checking out. On the (rare) occasion I've left something in other hotels, the staff and management are more than willing to try to find the items and return them to me. Not so here. "It is probably best to let the insurance investigator handle your issue," is the reply I recieved. Hugely disappointing!

The upside is that the suite we stayed in was large, well furnished and inexpensive; though it looked as if it had seen better days. The wi-fi access was free, thought intermittent (the ethernet interned worked fine.) And the location is good.

But the fact is, there are plenty of other hotels alongs this stretch. I'd recommend spending a little more and trying one of them before going to this place.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family