“Good Phoenix Hotel”

Ranked #37 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 20 October 2007

We arrived on Wed October 10th for 3 nights. The Wingate Inn
is now called the Fairfied Inn.& Suites (Marriott), Check In was
fast and efficient and we were assigned room 205. The room was very clean and it included two queen beds & appropriate
furniture. A new twist was the bed spread which was about
two and a half feet wide (Indian Design) and it was draped over
the sheets. AC was cold to my wife's liking. Free breakfast
included cereal, quaker oats, juice, bagels, English muffins,
waffles, & fruit. Pool was also excellent for relaxation and it has
a small fitness exercise room. Two coin operated washer and
dryers (one dollar a load) are located on the third floor. This
small hotel is located near the Heard Museum and the
Phoenix Theater (complex). We visited the Heard Museum and it is excellent and a true Gem. I took my wife to the Phoenix Theater to see "Crazy For You" which is a live broadway musical in an intimate showroom (about 500 seats). The show was
very good entertainment. This hotel is located on North Central Ave and construction was going on to build a light mass transit system. However, it did not interfere with our movement around
nor did it cause any problem.There was only one problem with
parking and it was on Thursday night after the musical show
as we arrived to our hotel after 11:00 pm. We could not find a parking space on the property, so I parked in a metered stall
adjacent to the hotel and right across IHOP. Since we last ate at about 4:00 PM we decided to eat at IHOP. After dinner I spoke to the manager of IHOP and he indicated that my car was perfectly safe as he himself parks there. In the morning I drove my car
back on the property and there were many empty spaces.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KAILUAKID

Reviewed 31 August 2007

This hotel is in the middle of being refurbished while its location and the surrounding area are blighted by the construction of a light railway down Central Avenue. The decor and the rooms were tired confirming refurb is overdue. Breakfast average although it seems to be a favourite spot for the local police to come in and write up their reports whilst enjoying a freebie

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2007

Has amenities/service not usually fund at this price point. Desk staff called to check everything was ok and if w needed anything. Neutrogena products instead of "el cheapos". Desk staff were very helpful both on the phone and in person. Great rooms (large) and good breakfast with hot sausage and "eggs" (egg beaters?) Service was outstanding with polite and friendly staff. Nice 24 hour pool and jacuzzi. About the only knock I have is that eggs/sausage were warmed by sterno which gave them a bit fo a checmical taste. If I were travelling to Phoenix again this would be my first choice. Our room was $93 plus tax. Has airport shuttle although we didn't use it.

• Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank bobsterkw
Reviewed 11 March 2007

Our daughter gets medical treatments at St. Joseph's hospital near the hotel. We stay here every time--not only for its convenient downtown location but because cleanliness is so important to our daughter's health. This is absolutely a clean, nice and comfortable place. And I'm pretty picky! It seems new and smells good. The staff are helpful and got us through one time when we locked our keys in our rental car. The free breakfast is bigger than the usual continental breakfast and helps keep expenses down. We will stay here every single time.

Stayed: August 2006
2  Thank smithpatty
Reviewed 2 March 2007

I book the room two days before driving to Phoenix for jury duty. I asked for the goverment rate and recieved it. The staff asked if I wanted to sign up with their TripRewards program at no extra cost or paperwork on my part. I recieved 1410 points minutes after enrolling. My room was 204, standard handicap. It looks toward a parking garage twice as high as the hotel. There is free access to high speed internet if you take a lap top. The free access means you can physically touch the USB cord but you must pay the service before using it. I don't know the price because I don't own a lap top. There is Nitendo game controller attached to the television that you can purchase 1 hour of gaming for about $7.95. I didn't look at the pay-per-view movie costs but I am sure it is just as expensive. There is a business center with two computers and a copier. Nothing can be downloaded to these computers unless you have a floppy disk. I had astronomy homework that had to be postponed because no programs can be downloaded at the hotel or the Phoenix Public Library down the street. I didn't want to compute the mass of Jupiter using the orbiting data of it's moons anyway. The free breakfast was filling. Eggs, bacon, make-your-own waffles, milk, juices, coffee, danish, ceral, yogurt,biskits, gravy were all present in the lobby at 6:30 am. No fruits. A U.S today newspaper was at my door as well as bill. I walked around the hotel outside every hour during my stay because it is a non-smoking hotel. The front and back of the hotel is very quiet. The side facing Central Ave. is a mess with street construction. I think this was a very expensive hotel for a breakfest, shower, and bed for the night but I would hate to see what I get if I stayed at a cheeper hotel.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 February 2007

We stayed two nights at the Wingate, and were very pleased. We had a one-bedroom suite, which was large, light, comfortable and pleasant. We were tired from traveling, and happily spent a whole morning in our suite reading and relaxing, and felt very much at home there. The hotel is a very short walk to the Heard Museum, and almost directly across the street from Durant's, an excellent restaurant. It is doiwntown, and on the street where the light rail is being built, so there was some inconvenience, but not enough to cause any real problem, and we would certainly not hesitate to stay there again because of that. We didn't hear any construction noise in our room, or anywhere in the hotel. Our room rate was an excellent value -- possibly because of the construction.

The pool area is quite nice, pleasant and quiet. The pool is heated -- but too much for my taste. There is also a hot tub and a nice looking exercise room.

Hotel staff were friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable.

The complimentary breakfast was fine.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kurseni
Reviewed 22 February 2007

We needed a hotel in downtown Phoenix, most were very expensive, but Win Gate was very resonable. I came across WinGate Hotel on Trip Advisor and read the reviews (all good) so we booked the hotel.
It was everything they advertised, very clean, extremely nice workers and the "free" breadfast was excellent ...make your own waffels, biscuts and gravy and all the normal breakfast type foods.
Great location.