“Typical Fairfield - Do NOT depend on Shuttle”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Phoenix Midtown
Ranked #38 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Omaha, Nebraska
“Typical Fairfield - Do NOT depend on Shuttle”
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I was a guest at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Phoenix March 10-14 I was disappointed with the shuttle service on two occasions. The first experience was on Saturday we walked to a restaurant on 7th and Osborn Road (about 1.5 miles). The front desk staff told us the shuttle goes within a 3 mile radius and before we left we asked the staff and verified that the shuttle would pick us up. When I called at 8:07pm the receptionist told us it would be about 20 minutes and I verified with her 3 times our location. At 8:30pm we received a call telling us the shuttle was at Safeway – the one on 3rd and Osborn which was NOT where we were – she talked with the driver and told us they would be right there. This was the wrong location after I verified 3 times. At 8:38pm we were still waiting and when I called the hotel they told us they would contact the driver to find their location. At 8:47pm I called back and RaLynn told us the shuttle had to go to the convention center. We finally arrived back at the hotel at 9:02pm. Had the receptionist been honest with us, we would have walked. This was unprofessional and unacceptable customer service.

The second instance occurred on Wednesday. Once again, we were depending on the shuttle to take us to the airport – the evening before we departed, we signed up for the 8am shuttle for March 14 (our plane departed at 9:55am). Normally, this would have been plenty of time, but the shuttle driver decided to take 4 people to their meeting destination which was well over the 3 mile radius (30 minutes to/30 minutes from) so we did not arrive to the airport until 9am. We would have missed our flight but luckily the flight had been delayed by 20 minutes. It would have been nice for us to have been dropped off for our flight (priority of missing a flight vs. being a few minutes late for a meeting) and since the shuttle does go to the airport and the other guests’ destination was outside the radius. The shuttle driver did not take any responsibility and there was no apology. I wrote to the hotel manager when I got home and I received what seemed like a canned letter to try and keep my business and gave excueses of why the shuttle service was not working properly.

While I am a loyal Marriott reward member and will continue to stay at Marriott properties, I will definitely NOT be visiting this one again. I recommend all of you to stay at the Rennaissance by the Convention Center or another property.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Melissa H
CLI820, Owner at Fairfield Inn & Suites Phoenix Midtown, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Thank you for your review of the Fairfield Inn & Suites Phoenix Midtown and for being a loyal rewards member. We apologize that you did not receive the high level of guest service you deserve with the hotel shuttle service. The hotel shuttle service is a complimentary service, thus the hotel does everything possible to meet every guest’s needs at all times. The matter has been examined closer in order to uphold the highest possible level of guest satisfaction for all guests and measures will be taken in order to not have incidents such as these reoccur, though at times there are circumstances our drivers may face that is out of their control. Again, we truly apologize for the confusion you experienced. Your review is very important to us as it allows us to continuously enhance the experience of every guest.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Long Beach CA
Reviewed 13 March 2012

II was expecting mediocre and got a great value for my dollar! What a nice, clean and spacious place to stay while n Phoenix. The staff was professional and attentive – no phoniness – just real honest and kind people. The room was quite spacious, the bed was very comfortable, and there was a flat screen TV in the room with cable. It did not matter that we were not downtown Phoenix. There is a light rail one block away. We also walked to the Herd Museum which was a couple of blocks away. The hotel will take you to your destination if it is within 3 miles of the hotel. They provided airport shuttle service to and from the airport – so, we did not need to rent a vehicle and incur all those extra charges. I needed some sleep and got that because the hotel is in a quiet part of Phoenix, but convenient to all locations in the area. Please take these words to heart – you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Quaniz7
Metro DC
Reviewed 15 February 2012

The Fairfield in Phoenix is centrally located. Rooms were large and clean and staff were friendly. On-site parking was no problem. The free breakfast was pretty typical of the free hotel breakfasts offered by hotels in the class. There was a sizeable snack shop by the front desk that offered a good variety of food and necessities at reasonable prices. The only drawbacks of this hotel were the painfully slow internet access and the price, which was higher than other comparable hotels during the week I was in town. I'd recommend.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MvGel
Colorado Springs
Reviewed 16 December 2011

This hotel provides all you could hope for from a Fairfield Inn. The rooms and common areas are clean and the hotel staff is remarkably friendly and helpful.

The rooms are in need of some modernization - they are feeling quite dated. But they are roomy and tidy. The fourth floor rooms feature higher ceilings and nice tall windows. My room was quiet and I was able to work and rest in peace.

I appreciate that the stairwells were clean and well-lit and basically usable -- I prefer stairs to elevators any day, provided the stairs aren't dark and creepy.

In sum - nothing really remarkable, but no big, bad surprises, either. I will certainly return here in the future should business bring me this way again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank COLadyRoadWarrior
CLI820, Owner at Fairfield Inn & Suites Phoenix Midtown, responded to this review, 30 December 2011
Thank you for your review of the Fairfield Inn & Suites Phoenix Midtown. These reviews help us in ascertaining a great experience for all our guests and help us improve upon any needed areas of the hotel. We are pleased you found the hotel clean plus the staff friendly and helpful. We are excited to let you know that the hotel will undergo a room renovation in 2012. Again thank you for your review and we look forward to you staying with us in the future.
San Jose, California
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I picked this hotel because most of the reviews were good and there was a shuttle service from the airport to the hotel. I was pleasantly surprised that the shuttle would also take me to my meeting so long the location was within 3 miles of the hotel. They also picked me up after the meeting and took me to the airport. Overall a great experience, room clean, breakfast very satisfying. I was only spending one night and not checking a bag so did not bring lotion figuring I would use the one the hotel provided. It was not standard issue. Only shampoo and conditioner was provided.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank YAYA014
Mahomet, Illinois
Reviewed 18 July 2011

The only limitation I saw with this hotel was the parking. It was a bit crowded, but manageable. Staff was great. Room was above par. Hotel was clean and well maintained. We couldn't ask for better.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eciba
Boston
Reviewed 10 April 2011

We were very impressed with the quality of this hotel. Upon being picked up from the airport (in the complimentary airport shuttle), we were offered bottles of water (it was a hot day). We also took advantage of the airport shuttle for our return trip, and we were once again pleased.

All of the staff that we encountered were friendly and helpful. The hotel was always clean, as was our room. The complimentary breakfast was great; it included cereals, oatmeal, fruits, a waffle maker, juice, milk, hard-boiled eggs, bagels, toast, breakfast sandwiches, yogurt, muffins, coffee, and tea, and we could eat as much as we wanted to! The coffee and tea are also available 24 hours a day. The business center features 2 computers, a printer (maybe 2), and an ATM.

The outdoor pool and whirlpool are very nice, clean, and well-kept. The "exercise room" could use some serious updating, but it's better than nothing. It features an old weight machine, stair-climber, and a broken treadmill. Additionally, there was a broken scale, towels, water, and a TV.

The location of the hotel is convenient, however, it is not really near any nightlife or excitement. The light rail runs right by the hotel, and we were concerned that it would be loud, however, it was not. Our room was very quiet and the a/c unit worked perfectly. If your purpose for staying in this hotel is nightlife and fun, it is not recommended. However, if you are looking for a nice hotel in a central location, this is the place!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HenryBoston
, Owner at Fairfield Inn & Suites Phoenix Midtown, responded to this review, 19 April 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We were delighted that you chose our hotel for your stay and are extremely pleased that you were provided with friendly and helpful service. Your review is very constructive and allows us to continuously look at ways to improve the look and feel of our hotel. It is our pleasure to let you know that we will be replacing the treadmill and enhancing other fittings in the exercise room to better serve our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back and in the interim; we remain at your service!