“Will stay here again”

Ranked #38 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Lake Havasu City, AZ
“Will stay here again”
Reviewed 31 December 2008

We stayed at this Fairfield because the rate was reasonable (less than $100 including all taxes), it included breakfast, and it was close to the hospital my husband was in. The room was clean, the thermostat worked perfectly, and the beds were comfortable. The towels were softer than most of those I've encountered in hotels for twice the price, which was very surprising. The showerhead was great. There were snacks available in their mini convenience store in the lobby, which with two teenage boys, was very convenient!

I informed the hotel of my two complaints via their survey, which was sent to me a few days after my stay. The choice of breakfast foods was great, however the baked goods were so stale, they were inedible. The bagels were rock-hard. I also observed an employee re-stocking the breakfast sandwiches and milk by just piling the new product in front of the old - she should have pulled forward the older product and put the new in back.

My other complaint was the bathroom door - it was spring-loaded so that it closed automatically, and it opened OUT into the room. We had to prop it open after we showered just to be able to get the steam out and breathe. I've never encountered a configuration like it before.

We will be staying there again for the next few weekends, and I hope the breakfast issue is resolved. I'll speak to the desk personnel next time to find out if they actually received my survey.

• Liked — Price, breakfast included
  • Disliked — Staleness of breakfast baked goods.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank IrishKelly57

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed 4 November 2008

After dropping my mom and toddler off at the Super 8 on Van Buren, we headed on to our hotel, The Fairfield Inn and Suites. The first thing I noticed was all the restaraunts in the area. That's a plus plus when you're greedy like me. I was especially happy to see a schlotzsky's deli right accross the street. I love their food. Other than the food, i did notice quite a few homeless folks roaming around. But I guess you're going to see that in any downtown area. It's not that I'm intimidated by them, I just find them kind of depressing to see on vacation. Or anywhere, but anyways.

The lobby was nice and so was the front desk staff. They gave us a downstairs room, which I usually don't like. I don't like people over me. I didn't complain though. We were in a hurry to get dressed for the wedding we were going to. Also, the room was right next to two other rooms that they had given a large group of single young women. All I could do is hope that I would get a good nights sleep.

The first thing I noticed upon entering the room was the strong smell of mildew. I had already been having trouble with my sinuses and this certainly didn't help. I tried opening the window to air the place out, but it would only crack open. By the time we left for the wedding I was just a big pile of snot in a dress. I had to take almost everything in my arsenal just to make it through the evening. It was miserable.

After the wedding I went back to the room to get some rest. First of all the walls and ceiling are paper thin. The people walking over our room sounded like they where stomping accross the floor. That ended around 11 pm, luckily. But then I couldn't sleep, the mattress was hard as a rock and my nose and throat stayed clogged all night. On our way to Phoenix I had begged my hubby to let me sleep in instead of getting up at the butt crack of dawn to leave for San Diego the next day. I ended up waking up before him and our son, tired of trying to get comfortable and get some sleep. It was miserable. Luckily, we only paid $69 plus tax for this room. When my mom went to book at the same hotel, they wanted $20 more just two weeks later. It would not have been worth that. Perhaps if I wouldn't have already been having a sinus attack things would've worked out better, but who is to say for sure. I might give this place one more shot if we go back to Phoenix.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the mildew smell in our room
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 28 July 2008

Stayed here Friday and Saturday night. I live in the immediate neighborhood, so this was just a "fun" getaway. Room was spacious, clean and quiet, on the top floor overlooking the pool. AC was cold and effective which is critical in Arizona in the summertime. Liked the free WiFi. Free breakfast was OK, especially liked the make-your-own waffles. Circle K convenience store across Central Avenue. Airport shuttle also can take you to nearby locations upon request such as the major medical center a few blocks from this property.

For my first time staying in any Marriott property I was impressed. I will try to stay at Fairfield anytime I am traveling if I can afford the rates.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Business center had no printer hooked up to the computer I used
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank micmac99
cmpm142
Reviewed 20 March 2008

I arrived to the hotel pretty late at night. I was new to the Phoenix area so I had some trouble coming from the airport. Jane at the front desk was so helpful when I checked in. She explained to me where I could go for dinner and if she could assist me with anything. I travel a lot but the service that I received was excellent. I would definitley reccommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
cofam3
Reviewed 2 March 2008

I just stayed here with my family and it was terrible. We were on the "IHOP side" and we heard nothing but car horns, car alarms, car doors, and people talking all night long. The windows were closed and it was like they were not there at all. We were in room 315 and the floors were filthy. My socks were black from walking around for an hour. It really made me worry about my very young child who was crawling around at the same time. The front desk staff were clueless. I asked them about near by restaurants and the only ones that they could name were the two right next door (IHOP and Burger King) and the one in the hotel brochure. (Thanks, big help) Access was also tough because of light rail construction going on next to the hotel. We were only there for 12 hours so I couldn't tell you what the construction noise was like. I can tell you that I would not recommend this place and I would not stay there again.

• Liked — Checking out.
  • Disliked — Checking in.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank comfam3
Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 February 2008

This hotel was clean, staff was courteous, rooms were much bigger than expected. There was road construction going on at the time but we didn't notice any noise from our room. Continental breakfast was very good, with make your own waffles and other continental breakfast fare. I would definitely stay here again if I go back to Phoenix.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ecrom
Ohio
Reviewed 1 February 2008

My husband and I stayed in a suite and it was a very average stay. The room was clean, it was nice to have a microwave and fridge, and checking in went smoothly. The only complaints I have include the heavy road construction and the fact that we were woken up several times throughout the night by loud hotel guests in the parking lot (playing loud music, yelling, etc). I understand that the construction isn't the hotel's fault, which is why I rated it a 4 instead of a 3. But I hoped that there would be a security guard in the vicinity that could control rowdy guests.

Since we stayed a few days before Superbowl Sunday, we paid a hefty price. If it was around $100, I would probably stay again. But only if the nicer hotels were booked.

The continental breakfast was standard. Waffles, danish, cereal, etc. We also ordered from Z Pizza, which seemed to have a great and unique selection of pizzas. They delivered right to the room, which was nice.

• Liked — Large suite and proximity to airport
  • Disliked — The rowdy guests, road construction
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple