“Name has changed”

Reign of Thai
Ranked #361 of 3,176 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Just a note to say that Pete has changed the name of his place to E-San. His lunch buffet price is now $8.88. Everything else is the same.

Reviewed 12 December 2012 via mobile

I've passed this place a hundred times and finally stopped for dinner. The sever was extremely knowledgeable about the dishes and was able to help us with suggestions. I caution you that I learned that the other name for this restaurant is "Pete's House of Heat" which I will tell is a deserved title. Go lightly on the level of spiciness. Enjoy

Reviewed 11 June 2012

I moved to PHX from the NW and I've been missing good Thai Food... I've tried Maylee's (pretty decent, but Americanized and overpirced) and many others in the Valley that just don't cut it and aren't worth eating at. I heard about Pete's through my nail gal and we've been there about a dozen times since!

The food here is fantastic, we're working our way through the menu. We have our definite favorites, but every dish we've had has been good. We've gotten apps, soups, curry, noodle dishes, fish, etc. They have a lunch buffet for only $7 or $8, which is fantastic with 16 entree options, 2 soups, and they keep it warm and clean.

I've taken two people there that "hate Thai" and they walk out with a new attitude. Regarding the spice, it's the usual 1 to 5 star rating. I like hot food, very hot. However, I found that ordering the soups or curry with a 3 star was almost unbearable. We usually get soups or curry's with just 2 stars now, but other egg dishes and meat/veg dishes we get 3 or 4 star. Other Thai restaurants in the Valley I've ordered 5 star at and the food was still bland and not spicy whatsoever... Not here, it's fantastic!

The place is BYOB. We usually take a couple of beers or a bottle of wine with us, but I saw a table once with a bottle of vodka. They'll bring you a glass and open your bottle for no charge. This is a very nice option that we appreciate very much!!

Don't let the location fool you. We live on one of the nearby mountains and find it very difficult to find decent food nearby, and the location is a bit deceving. The parking lot is usually packed, and if it's not consider it a blessing because at times this little place can get so busy that service takes a while. Often the chef/owner is almost operating an one man show, but be patient... the food is always worth the wait and even if service might be slow the night you are there, it will be with a smile and they'll be very happy to see you.

1  Thank Martha S
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Had lunch here with a friend and business partner. Buffet is served 11:30 to 3:30 and costs $7.77 with good assortment of Thai foods with varying levels of spicy heat. There isn't the huge assortment you find at most Chinese buffets, but there is plenty and what is here is fresh and healthy.

This is a new location for the owner and it appears to have been largely undiscovered at this point, so there was easy access to the food and a quiet atmosphere which we needed for our discussions. Not many places you can go for lunch where tables aren't jammed up against one another and where the roar of the lunch crowd doesn't have you raising your voice more than you want to. And we lingered a long time with never a sense of having overstayed our welcome and never an empty water or tea glass. And on our way out the owner/chef thanked us warmly and asked us to return. You bet we will.

Two suggestions. The entrance area seems to be used for storage and does not make a good first impression. Second, only cocktail napkins were available - OOPS.

1  Thank roaringrun
Reviewed 19 December 2011

This place was great although you wouldn't expect it from just looking at the outside of the building! Inside, the place is done very well - very cute, clean and Thai-esque. I was with 6 people, so we went big. We ordered PLENTY of food and all was outstanding. 3 of the 6 of us had recently spent what added up to about 2 and a half months in Thailand and we all came to the conclusion that this was the closest to authentic we had come across in our search for Thai food in the states! The waiter had obviously spent a lot of time in Thailand and had a wealth of info about the cuisine to share with us. Fresh, authentic ingredients and Thai chefs topped off the experience! Definitely go get your Thai on at this place and it is BYOB!

2  Thank AzChica33