“Great food, annoying service.”

Oregano's Pizza Bistro
Ranked #132 of 3,054 Restaurants in Phoenix
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Camelback East
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great food, annoying service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Service industry people have it tough, so I rarely will leave either a bad tip or a bad review. However, having been a frequent patron of this place, I think I can speak to a clear and consistent pattern here of service that isn't patently bad, but is not what I personally call good service.

My Google review describes the perkiness factor as "Mary Hart on a caffeine overdose" and that pretty much is half the problem. Okay, not everyone is as annoyed by that as I am. Take that part with a grain of salt. However good servers adjust to the temperament of their client. As I said, it's a hard job, so I tend to cut some slack, until it's a pattern. This place "overdoes it" (in a bad way) as a pattern.

However, it's also a constant pattern for them to take their time with service. You can be done with your food for 5, 10, 15 minutes and still no one comes by to ask "Would you like something else, or would you like the check now?" Now, when I'm there for dinner and not in a hurry (as I usually won't be at dinner) this is fine. Well, it's still not really fine to assume that -- life isn't for wasting. But I can be easygoing about it. But during a workday, during the lunch hour, SLOW or INACCURATE are the last two things I want. "Oh, that's not what you ordered? I'm sorry I'll take it back and it'll be fine." Well... no, not if I wasted 15-20 minutes waiting for the wrong thing in the first place. And I'm still hungry. And my lunch time is now almost over.

Maybe they are trying to not rush people, but again, I think sizing up your customer is a skill that can be learned and these people have one mode "Slow and overly-perky." Acceptable from your four year-old, not from your server.

Yes, mistakes happen. And I can generally be forgiving. But I've given this place about ten too many chances. The food is darn good, and the chain itself is awesome. However this location either has a failure in culture, or failure in management. So rather than gong to the Oregano's in walking distance of work, and close driving distance of home, I will now be going to the other locations occasionally -- NONE of which I have EVER had a service issue with. EVER.

Now, if you want to go somewhere and not have the waiters/waitresses rush you during lunch? This is the perfect place.

• Visited April 2014

Illinois
“Definitely come early......”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

The restaurant was very close to our hotel, so we decided to try it. It was one of those rare Phoenix days when it was cool and raining. When we arrived for dinner, at about 5p, there were no more tables available for indoor dining and it would be a 30 min wait. But the hostess offered us an outside table. At first I thought she was joking since it was about 57 degrees and raining. She said there were heaters out there and she assured us we would be warm and comfortable. She was right! The outdoor patio filled up quickly. Service was prompt and friendly. Fun, nostalgic atmosphere. The pizza was delicious. We ordered the thin crust and it was very nice and crispy. It was a very enjoyable dinner.

• Visited April 2014
Sedona
“Don't come hungry”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

We decided to have a late lunch at Oregano's at around 1 or 1:30. We had to wait around 15 minutes for a table, then turned in our order for pizza and a salad. It hadn't come after 30 minutes, and I started getting a headache. I asked another staff person to get our server, but she didn't come. I was eying the Wendy's sign down the street..
When the meal was finally ready, the manager (I guess) just looked chagrined, dropped the food off and left. There were no apologies. The server claimed that it takes 30 minutes for a pizza to cook. My husband told her that we used to have a restaurant that served pizza and he knows how long it takes.
We have eaten at Oregano's in Scottsdale numerous times. Sometimes they take your order while you are waiting,, and normally they bring the salad while you wait. These people are clueless. Even some breadsticks would have helped to take the edge off.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank kate410
Cotopaxi, Colorado
“Lunch time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

The first rule for Oregano's is come early or late since this place (the Cactus location) is always busy at peak times with waits up to ninety minutes. We went here early for lunch. Pizza is very good and we liked the sauces. Service was also very good. Atmosphere is almost early 60s diner with TVs running old shows. Over all, we had a very good experience because we avoided the crowds.

Visited January 2014
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Good Pizza”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

Organos has really good pizza, but we ordered the deep dish and it wasn't amazing and it takes forever. On the other hand, regular pizza doesn't take that long and is really good and chicken wings are spicy.

• Visited January 2014