“Very nice place to visit”

Japanese Friendship Garden
Ranked #33 of 228 things to do in Phoenix
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Lawrence, Kansas
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Very nice place to visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

First trip to Arizona and tripadvisor had this listed as a place to check out. I'm glad I did. A friend and I spend hours just checking out the landscaping and the fish / birds / trees that were there. I took over a hundred and fifty pictures and looking at them now I must say that the Japanese Friendship Garden was well worth $5 visit. I would go there again when I next visit Phoenix Arizona

4 Thank drichardw

Leesburg, Virginia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Yes, it Really is Downtown Phoenix”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

I honestly thought I was lost trying to get to this place because it did not seem one would find a Zen garden in Phoenix's downtown area. The entrance belies the beauty that lies inside once you pass through the gates. I believe I paid $5 for admission, which chalked up to be the best deal I had during my visit. They person who sold me my ticket talked me into purchasing food to feed the koi fish in the large pond. The pond lies at the center of the garden and the path encircles the pond. There is a tea house along the path opposite the entrance, but it was not open at the time (wished I would have checked the hours to make this a part of my visit). There's also a lovely waterfall cascading off large boulders, which makes such a pleasant sound you feel as if you have stepped right into a meditation video. I and many others were sitting on benches taking in the peaceful scenery. Now the highlight, I did feed the koi standing on the bridge. This attracted so many fish (and ducks) that people started coming onto the bridge taking photos. It ended up a bit of a communal experience. From the time I arrived, I spent about an hour total on my visit, but had I not been pressed for time, I could easily have spent more time. From the brochure, it appears they have plans to expand. I hope to get back and see the results. Lovely, lovely place.

Chevy Chase, Maryland
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 190 helpful votes
“A hidden gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Beautiful Japanese landscaping was designed by master gardeners from Phoenix's sister city. Japanese tea ceremonies are offered with advance notice.

Note that the garden is not open in the summer, and the hours are limited the rest of the year.

1 Thank Feistygal
Sylvan Lake, Canada
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Very enjoyable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

We took a couple of hours at this Japanese Garden, while on holiday in Phoenix, and are glad we did.....'walked around on the lovely serene paths, viewed the pretty Japanese statuary and fed the koi. Not for people who need constant, high-level activity, just a pleasant stroll. We also enjoyed the little giftshop. It was a quietly memorable experience, we'd highly recommend.

Visited March 2014
Tucson, Arizona
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Beautiful and Peaceful in the Middle of the City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

What a lovely place to go to enjoy some peace and quiet in the midst of the crowded city. Although this isn't a huge place, there are benches scattered around for you to sit and enjoy the view, the ponds had baby ducks that were fun to watch. The waterfalls were beautiful and the admission fee was reasonable enough that you could visit often to just get back to your center peace.

Visited March 2014