“Shade in the desert sun”

Japanese Friendship Garden
Ranked #36 of 236 things to do in Phoenix
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: We are a traditional Japanese stroll garden in the heart of Downtown Phoenix. We are 501(c)3 non profit organization in cooperation with the city of Phoenix and Phoenix Sister Cities Organization. The garden was designed and built by garden master designer "Mr. Nozomu Okita" with the cooperation of Phoenix Sister City Himeji garden association. This truly unique point of pride sits on 3.5 acres and includes a traditional Tea House. The Tea House is open once per month for tea ceremonies, by reservation only by contacting the office. This tranquil and beautiful setting features more than 1,500 tons of hand-picked rock, stone footbridges, lanterns and more than 50 varieties of plants. As you stroll the path, you will enjoy flowing streams, a 14-foot waterfall, and a Koi pond with over 1,000 colorful Koi fish. The garden hosts a variety annual artistic and educational special events and programs. Please see our website and Facebook page.
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stumbled across this and were pleasantly surprised.
Minimal costs and relaxing, even though it is downtown. Peaceful shady retreat to explore - even our teens enjoyed feeding the koi.

1  Thank kar352

Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

I didnt want to go here at first. 5$ and a ton of coy fish. I ended up staying for about an hour. The ducks (especially the babies) were my favorite. If you like giant coy fish and a garden, this is your place.

5  Thank StefanieAGS
Reviewed 21 April 2014

First trip to Arizona and tripadvisor had this listed as a place to check out. I'm glad I did. A friend and I spend hours just checking out the landscaping and the fish / birds / trees that were there. I took over a hundred and fifty pictures and looking at them now I must say that the Japanese Friendship Garden was well worth $5 visit. I would go there again when I next visit Phoenix Arizona

4  Thank drichardw
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I honestly thought I was lost trying to get to this place because it did not seem one would find a Zen garden in Phoenix's downtown area. The entrance belies the beauty that lies inside once you pass through the gates. I believe I paid $5 for admission, which chalked up to be the best deal I had during my visit. They person who sold me my ticket talked me into purchasing food to feed the koi fish in the large pond. The pond lies at the center of the garden and the path encircles the pond. There is a tea house along the path opposite the entrance, but it was not open at the time (wished I would have checked the hours to make this a part of my visit). There's also a lovely waterfall cascading off large boulders, which makes such a pleasant sound you feel as if you have stepped right into a meditation video. I and many others were sitting on benches taking in the peaceful scenery. Now the highlight, I did feed the koi standing on the bridge. This attracted so many fish (and ducks) that people started coming onto the bridge taking photos. It ended up a bit of a communal experience. From the time I arrived, I spent about an hour total on my visit, but had I not been pressed for time, I could easily have spent more time. From the brochure, it appears they have plans to expand. I hope to get back and see the results. Lovely, lovely place.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Beautiful Japanese landscaping was designed by master gardeners from Phoenix's sister city. Japanese tea ceremonies are offered with advance notice.

Note that the garden is not open in the summer, and the hours are limited the rest of the year.

1  Thank Feistygal