“Sanctuary on Camelback Mountain”
Review of Camelback Mountain

Ranked #3 of 228 things to do in Phoenix
St Croix Virgin Islands
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Sanctuary on Camelback Mountain”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

At this year's NBPA conference in Scottsdale, the gathering was treated to a reception and presentation at a place called Sanctuary on Camelback Mountain.

The Scene
Up close to red and ocher bare mountainsides carved by the one great sculptor over millenia is a very large room with glass walls and large patios (although the temperature even as the sun began to set in the 112 and higher), the surroundings were astounding-spiritual. The room was lively and if the people in charge of the place did the catering, that was fabulous too.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Phoenix, Arizona
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Tourist are warned, this is not a casual walk!”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Plan on an hour up, an hour down. Sometimes you'll need to use your hands crawling up the rocks. Parking is major pain unless you go early.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Bill J
Walter Hill, Tennessee
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Great mountain for a hike but DO NOT go in the heat of the afternoon.”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I read several reviews where people advised against hiking Camelback in the heat of the afternoon. I was only in Phoenix for 24 hours on business, so I had no other choice but to hike it around 2:00 p.m. The temp was 111 degrees and there were maybe 7 or 8 cars in the parking lot. We hiked up Echo Canyon Trail. Although the hike is rigorous, it's not extreme. What was extreme was the heat. Everything was HOT. From the rails, the actual rocks, and the air temperature. The heat was so extreme that I decided to turn around and not try to push myself ot the top. I had to host a conference the next morning and I didn't want to over do it. I regularly run 5K races and work out 2 to 3 times a week at the gym, but the heat was too much for me. I'm looking forward to trying Camelback again on a morning hike or perhaps during a cooler time in the year. If you arrive and the parking lot is empty, there's a reason. The views are great, even if you don't make it to the top. If you love the outdoors and exercise, check it out. It's not the best mountain that I've ever hiked, but for the area it's good.

4 Thank Brent B
chicago
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Not easy at all but beautiful!”
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Okay hiking camelback in July, perhaps not the best idea but in our defense we tried to get started early (6:00am) only to discover the lot was completely full! It was a Sunday. We returned the next day mid morning prepared with sunscreen, hats, and plenty of water. This hike is no joke. I'm am moderately fit and had to rest several times. It's mostly scrambling not hiking. But in the end you are rewarded with a beautiful view and welcome breeze!

2 Thank agmltd
Cave Creek, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“morning "hike" -- or climb.”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This is a climb. If this is your first hike, it may not be for you. We went with friends and I had no idea it was going to give me a bit of a challenge. We had fun, but make sure to go when the weather is cooler and bring lots of water. The mountain is pretty steep and the way down is not an easy trip. Parking fills up quickly at the Echo Canyon trailhead.

2 Thank shesthetravelingirl