“Downtown elegance”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix
Ranked #5 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 July 2012

My wife and I are locals who love staycations in the beautiful resorts in our community.
Hotel Palomar Phoenix is the latest addition of superb quality hotels in metropolitan Phoenix and one that satisfied the need of a relaxing weekend on the town. This hotel is downtown in an excellent location for sporting venues (Suns and Diamondbacks), the new Convention Center, Symphony Hall and restaurants and nightclubs.
This was our first visit to the new "Cityscape" development of which Hotel Palomar is the signature hotel. The hotel has a great restaurant/bar(Blue Hound) which we frequently twice. Self parking or valet service is available for the hotel guests and is very convenient and safe in underground garage below this complex. Check in and out went very smoothly and the staff aimed to pleased throughout our stay. Be sure to ask for your pet Goldfish to keep you company in the room. Wine hour at 5PM was pleasing. Breakfast was only coffee and tea. Get your coffee and then go next door twenty steps to the Breakfast Club for breakfast. The bedding and linens were top notch and the bed extremely comfortable for my bad back. Super clean common areas and rooms. Pool is on 2nd floor with a great urban feel about it. Having only seen CityScape from the "outside", passing in a car we were not very impressed with the architecture. Spending a weekend at Cityscape totally changed our view of this urban development which replaces the catastrophic Patriot Square from the 80's. A mixed use urban development it has plenty of retail, restaurants, bars, bowling alley and hotel to keep you occupied. Check it out you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: We had a Junior suite corner room facing Southeast. Great views of downtown, pool below and South Mo...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Studio69
There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix

Reviewed 28 July 2012 via mobile

Stayed here after attending a Diamondbacks game, and this place is awesome.

Super sheik, modern, clean designs. Stellar bars, great 3rd floor pool with a killer bar.

Loved the room, and stellar bed. Highly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Just stayed there last week and I can't say enough good things about it. It has only been open a month so it is as clean as one might expect. We loved that. But it is the service that truly excels. From the minute we arrived the staff was continually attentive without being suffocating. The restaurant on the property is great - again, very good food and very good service. The pool which is on the 3rd floor is quite enjoyable from the coolish water (a welcome in the 3 digit temps) to the cabana type seating around it to the pool bar. Again we had great service. Like other Kimpton properties, they had complimentary wine tasing in the evenings and free, good coffee in the morning. We never made it to the former and were impressed with the quality of the coffee in the latter.
Location wise it is in downtown Zphienux right across the street from the Sun's stadium and lots of small restaurants, bars and shopping in the immediate vicinity.
We will return! I hope the rates stay reasonable.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Rannynm
Reviewed 24 July 2012

This was my first time staying at a Kimpton hotel and I have been blown away. The staff is uniformly friendly and helpful. They greet you by name on the phone and at the front desk, and go out of their way to find a way to help you, surprise you, and delight you. The pool overlooking the city is spectacular and well kept, and includes a bar so you can really relax in the sun.

But in particular at this location, a concierge by the name of Samantha was mind bogglingly helpful and patient in finding an in-room massage for me on less than 24 hours notice. She made multiple calls to check availability and had a wonderful attitude the entire time. Service is an art; Samantha is a master. If you book another hotel in Phoenix, you're missing out. Period.

Room Tip: This place is brand new and all the rooms are immaculate.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I have nothing but great things to say about the staff, room quality, and this hotel, in general. Definitely, a unique touch in today's world. The staff was extremely personable, helpful and attentive. Great location, and the hotel is first rate. Will definitely stay here when in Phoenix. Kudos to Nikia, Lori and Marco. Very refreshing to find such happy client oriented people in today's hotel world.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We rarely go to downtown Phoenix, so I was excited to try out the new Kimpton hotel in the area. As usual, Kimpton customer service was excellent. We parked in the Cityscape lot right next to the hotel because we didn't have much luggage so there was no need to spend the extra for valet. I read that it was $27/day for valet and it's $12 at the same garage to park yourself.

We checked in a couple of hours early and that was no problem. Our Skyline Corner Suite was very spacious and modern. I love the new hotel feel of the Palomar, every thing is still pristine. The shower was one of the largest I've ever seen and there was a tub inside the shower space, it was very cool. Our view was of the city and we were on the eighth floor. We could see the mountains, US Airways Center, and Chase Field, but it's a typical city view, not too aesthetically pleasing.

My only complaint about the Palomar is the size of the pool, it's quite small. I understand it's a city hotel and not a resort, but we were expecting it to be larger. There aren't many chairs either. The pool floor shares itself with a bar. The bar area has lots of chairs and seating, so I feel like the hotel could have made better use of the space.

We took advantage of the complimentary wine hour, which is always a perk of the Kimpton hotels. The gentleman hosting the wine hour was very friendly and had lots of tips and recommendations for restaurants and things to do in the area. He'll make dinner reservations for you if you'd like.

We tried the Blue Hound restaurant for lunch and evening appetizers. The menu is American eclectic. We enjoyed what we had, nothing to write home about, but appetizing. The vibe is pretty cool. We enjoyed a few of their special mixology cocktails and it was cool that when I didn't really like the first one I tried, the waiter offered to have the bartender make another. I didn't complain about my original drink or ask for a replacement, but I think he could tell I wasn't a huge fan. That was an example of great customer service!

We had a fun short stay and would definitely go back if we choose to stay in that area again. I recommend for anyone who is looking to stay in the downtown area. I think it's great for business and adult travelers, not necessarily geared towards families.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I decided to celebrate my 30th birthday downtown Phoenix and wanted a hotel room to be able to relax in. With the Palomar just opening, I took advantage of the grand opening rates and can say that I haven't stayed in a hotel that was as welcoming and accommodating as the Hotel Palomar. The hotel itself was so new and beautiful, and the location can't be beat. The staff was so friendly, answering all my questions with a smile and even giving me a birthday card when I checked in. We left for dinner and since it was raining, they handed us an umbrella as we walked out the door! I feel like customer service is going downhill everywhere you go - except the Hotel Palomar. I'd recommend in a heartbeat and will for sure be back.

Room Tip: The higher the better. Great views :)
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends