“Perfect Location, Friendly Staff”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix
Ranked #8 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersSilver level
Irvine, California
“Perfect Location, Friendly Staff”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

The Good: Hotel is literally across the street from the US Airways Center, which made getting to and from the Suns vs. Blazers game super-fast and convenient. A Gold's Gym, Starbucks, CVS, Chipotle and a few dining and entertainment options (including a bowling alley and, in December, an ice rink) are just steps from the entrance. Rooms are spacious and modern with a well-appointed and roomy bathroom. Doorman was especially attentive and friendly on both arrival and departure, and the front-desk help were quick, courteous and professional. The $10 mini-bar/wine hour voucher and free in-room wi-fi for being an 'intouch" loyalty member were welcome touches. (Took seconds to sign up, so well worth the effort.) Second floor lobby "living room" is beautiful, and there was a nice and ample selection of teas and coffees in the a.m. Finally, there was a free parking promotion so the usual $27 rate was waived.

The Not-So-Good: A very short list as we enjoyed our one-night stay, but considering how clean the rest of the room and the hotel as a whole were, the room windows were quite dirty (from the construction, I imagine) and marred the view, and the in-room pamphlets, like the running map (a nice touch otherwise), channel guide, and Klimpton Hotels brochure were stained and worn and needed replacing. Also, welcome addition would have been a price list for the mini-bar items. (For what it's worth, a small bottle of pinot is $22.)

TA really needs to provide a 1/2 star option, because the Palomar definitely earns a 4 1/2 out of 5. It's short of perfect (the beds are just okay and the TV remote is an '80s-era relic), but it's very, very close.

Room Tip: If you want a view of US Airways Center or Chase Field, ask for a room facing south.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Alex K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We were in the Phoenix area the weekend of 11/22-11/25 and stayed at the Hotel Palomar in Phoenix. The hotel is in a great location, close to restaurants, bazaars and shopping. If you want to watch a basketball game or baseball game the venues are right Cross the street. as always, the staff are friendly, efficient and helpful. Upon check-in we were given info on things that were happening locally (concert and festival), when we needed transportation they happily made arrangements for us and when we were planning to take the train to Tempe one of the staff walked with us to the train stop and made sure we knew how to work the ticket machine!

As for the hotel, the rooms were clean and spacious. There were comfortable beds and pillows. The wine hour never disappoints! I love that guests can bring their pets, which always makes it feel a bit more like home for me.

This is the fifth Kimpton Hotel we have stayed in and per usual, we feel as though we received the best value in town.

Room Tip: We had a skyline view, which is a view of the mountains.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

We were in town for a concert at US Airways Center and stayed at the Hotel Palomar. Great location and great service. The hotel was busy when we checked in but Kaitlin was friendly and efficient with our speedy check in. She even printed walking directions for the restaurant we were having dinner at. Trendy hotel with beautiful modern decor. We will stay here again if ever in downtown Phoenix.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Pinetop-Lakeside, Arizona
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My wife and I went to this hotel for our anniversary. We were greeted by a great staff who were friendly and courteous. They upgraded our room to a corner suite and were extremely polite and professional. The room was well appointed and had a wonderful view of downtown. Lots of restaurants and activities within walking distance. it was everything we had hoped for and more.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cfrieh
Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Arrived at 7pm. Room clean. Went to the hotel restaurant for dinner. Sat in the lounge, people around me eating in this area. Multiple parties arrived after me and were waited on. Made every effort to catch someone's eye but was never acknowledged and never received so much as a glass of water. Not sure why - not overwhelmingly busy. As a single female traveler, I was disappointed to have to wander the downtown to try and find dinner after I was unable to receive service. When I described my experience to the front desk, I was cheerfully advised to go to Chipotle. Ultimately got some Doritos from CVS. This experience soured me on the rest of the hotel.

The hotel was clean and modern. A lot of street noise and noise in the hallway.

Room Tip: Don't sleep on street side - stadium is not far, noisy
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank NieSB27
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I have stayed at the Palomar about 4 times during the past year on business. Each time the experience gets better. During a recent stay, I took advantage of the free use of Gold's Gym (right next to the hotel). I returned to the hotel and was looking for the free orange water they typically have on the second (or sometimes first) floor. Marcus from the bell desk asked me if I needed help and when I told him that I couldn't find the water, he immediately took my glass and filled it up with some flavored water from the hotel restaurant (the Blue Hound). I felt like a valued guest! Then, on the last night of my stay after dinner, my husband and I needed to purchase some bottled water. We went to the Blue Hound host desk to ask if we could purchase water from the bar. The gentleman (didn't get his name!) came back with 2 large bottled waters for us and said they were on the house. Another wonderful example of how people here go out of their way to make sure you have a good experience. The rooms are nice, spacious, and quiet. And, there is a wine happy hour in the evening that is free. I don't want to stay anywhere else when I come to Phoenix!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We have stayed at Kimpton in Boston, Seattle, and now Phoenix - each is unique, and they are always excellent to outstanding. This hotel is steps from public transportation (valley metro buses and light rail - full day pass for $4 purchase in machine at central & washington streets). Clean, beautiful and modern. Staff super friendly and professional. Area felt safe. Close to cityscape - and shopping, CVS, Starbucks, fast food and nice restaurants. Casual attire was fine for most everything. Parking is going city rate with valet $27/day. Fast valet service. Rooms with mini bar (they give yo ua $10 coupon if you're an "in touch" member), free internet (in-touch members). Our king room was not a suite, but the room was very big - comfortable bed and lots of pillows. Bathroom has modern shower with half glass partition fixed opening - hard to turn on shower to warm up without getting sprayed with cold water, but we got used to it. No place to really hand anything in the bathroom - couple of hooks. Nice bathrobes during your stay. Not much drawer space - but I didn't care about that. Free coffee in the morning 6-9, but they run out quick, no cream 2nd day - we called and they came right down to fill it though - it's on the 2nd floor. Leftover glasses in 2nd floor sitting area from previous night cocktail hour - but nothing major - still a beautiful sitting area with fireplace. There was some construction going on in higher floors - but they really took care to protect guests from the noise - no noise at night from it. If I could stay Kimpton everywhere we traveled, I would - they are different from the other chains, and I think they really care about their customers, This was a great hotel, we were happy with our stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple