“Amazing Hotel!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Amazing Hotel!”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

This hotel was awesome in many ways. Love the decor and the staff was very friendly. It was our anniversary and they did something really special for us! We will stay here again for sure in the future!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Watertown, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Room was very comfortable and clean. It had great products in the bathroom and a great looking pool deck area (that I didn't get to take advantage of). Very important: free WiFi. Terrific restaurants in the same building for breakfast, lunch and tons of dinner options. Very close to anything you'd want to be near: Ballpark, arena and convention center all within a few blocks. I love Kimpton hotels.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
jimpalomar1, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
And.....we love that you love Kimpton Hotels and Palomar Phoenix. So many things to do and see in downtown Phoenix. We are a ever changing city which has been so fun to see in the past 2 years and since the inception of our great hotel. Tell your friends... ( and thanks for the shout out on line) Thanks for the business...and kudos.

Tuba City, Arizona
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My family and I had an amazing time at the Hotel Palomar, we had a late arrival (4am) and the front desk assistant Sergio was so friendly, helpful and courteous! Sergio provided us with complimentary Valet service for our vehicle and gave us activity packets for our children. It's rare you find a front desk assistant that knocks your socks off (especially in the wee hours of the morning) but Sergio was AMAZING! The room was immaculate and my kids loved the pool. We had a great bartender named Jordan that kept our drinks full and even brought us snacks! The hotel is within walking distance of the US Airways Center and Chase Field. We even walked to Chase Field and had dinner at the TGI Friday's restaurant inside the ballpark! And there are so many great restaurants and shops surrounding the hotel. The CVS was a lifesaver when my daughter cut her toe! I can't wait to stay at the Palomar again! :)

2 Thank Lyssa N
TO
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I really had a hard time rating this one. The hotel is nice with clean rooms and good decor. The location is good, close to the light rail line and entertainment (sports and cultural events). The service is signature Kimpton. Based on all these factors, it's at least a 4*.

Here's the but...and it's no fault of the hotel. It's close to a club! You can hear and feel the vibrations of the beats throughout the night. It's loud and annoying. I couldn't fall asleep until the club closed, which I assume is really late. If you are in Phoenix to party, this is your hotel. If you want to sleep, good luck trying.

1 Thank Gifu
Dear GIFU, Loud noise is definitely NOT what you want to hear when you come here to sleep....I couldn't agree more! We do have rooms that are not located near the "louder" areas of the city. There is a lot going on in downtown Phoenix and some of it has to do with the time of year with the weather being so beautiful......ie in March at 74 degrees daily We get as much outdoor time as we can until summer arrives ( which is soon) So please allow me to personally handle your reservations and room placement if you decided to return to us in the future. I can assure you a "quite" and "peaceful" stay with us.

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The hotel is new, modern, and clean. The location is convenient to the convention center and the USAirways Center. The staff are courteous and helpful. However, if you need to be rested for business or want to have a quiet peaceful vacation, find another hotel. The inherent design of the hotel and the location make it very noisy. The pool bar is on a roof area that juts out from the rest of the building and is only on the third floor. Unfortunately, the hotel goes up 7 more floors above that. So late into the night you hear the boom of the pool bar, we were told the music ends at midnight, it did not. We were on the top floor of the hotel, 10th floor, it did not seem to make any difference. On the other side of the hotel is a busy street (especially if something is going on at the USAirways Center). In addition, one of the nights we were there, the street next to the building was closed off for a local band concert that went until 3:00 am. There does not appear to be any noise ordinances in downtown Phoenix. Too bad, because otherwise it would have been a nice hotel, pricey but nice. There are luxury apartments being finished on top of the hotel, maybe when people start moving into those, something will be done about the pool bar noise and city noise control. In addition, there is very little to do in downtown Phoenix other than eat or drink. The hotel is located near the closest thing there is to a shopping area, 3 stores: a CVS, a Charming Charlie, and an Urban Outfitters. The only amenity in the hotel is a restaurant, no spa (bumped that below by accident), there is a great breakfast place right next door, but it is not part of the hotel. The hotel does offer free wine tasting around 5:15 every evening accompanied by tasty flatbreads.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the street not on the courtyard area.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Robin,

My thanks for letting me know about your experience at Hotel Palomar Phoenix. I’m pleased that you did like the hotel despite the issues you encountered. It was a very active weekend in downtown Phoenix when you stayed with us. The “sounds of the city” definitely took its toll on our guest. We had informed guest staying on the side of the concert that this would be going on until 11pm and unfortunately for all of us this did continue with the breakdown of the staging until 3 am. We were not made aware of this and it did make for a very sleepless night for our guest. If I had known I wouldn’t have put our guest on that side of the building. We are still a fairly new hotel and some of these bookings were done prior to the hotel being open and the city not realizing that this is a major disturbance to everyone. I continue to work with the city on this and will do everything I can to make sure this doesn’t happen again. At this time, there are no other “concerts” scheduled so we will be avoiding a reoccurrence of this in the future.

CityScape is a work in progress and we continue to see different venues come and go. There is shopping located throughout the downtown area and major shopping malls and anchor stores just a few miles away. We do have a salon/spa located 100 yards from the entrance of the hotel and the information was located in your guest room….so sorry you didn’t see that.
Robin, I hope you will reconsider staying with us in the future. I can assure you a great stay with us and hopefully a renewed confidence in our services.
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We have stayed at this hotel twice now. Both times were just okay. Both times we encountered unfriendly front desk employees. First time we had many problems. Had a very nice large King room over the bar area which had music blaring past 11pm so no sleep for us and a major migraine for me. My husband went down to let the front desk know a few times... he was not happy with the guy taking note of our concerns...didn't seem to care. Some of the other concerns were that the room had a food smell in it from time to time...and our refrigerator started smoking in the middle of the night. The GM did go to the pharmacy for some tylenol to treat the headache I got from lack of sleep in the first room, that was very nice. We did get moved to a quieter room on our last night (we were there for 5 nights!!!)

Second visit same front desk guy as last time, not welcoming or genuine at all. The guy checking us in had a big attitude when it came to self parking. Asked for a quieter room which we got so big plus there. Room was not clean and either their vacuum does not work well or they don't vacuum after each guest stay. Debris under couch cushions again...this always seems to be a problem at most hotels. Plug in space was very limited. Went down to the wine reception once and only once. I am not a drinker and our son was with us so we asked if there were any non alcoholic options and the snarly response from the man was - well you are attending a wine reception, so no. The lady standing beside him did offer to grab me an iced tea which was very nice, except for the fact she was looking for a tip afterwards. There were other smaller concerns and issues. We did stay at the Amara (Kimpton) in Sedona right before this stay and the service was totally different, and no issues with the wine reception there (yummy lemonade was served). We would have went to the front desk to voice some of our concerns but frankly we wanted limited front desk interaction. Would I stay again? Maybe....

Room Tip: Do not stay over bar area if you want sleep!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
jimpalomar1, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Olivebaby, thank you for the 2 reviews at once. I appreciate that. I wish we would have had the opportunity to make it right for you before you left us. That is what I'm here for as the general manager of the hotel. As evidenced by our great comments about our staff, it is highly unusual that I would get comment about a rude staff but nevertheless that was your experience and I'm very sorry for that. As for cleaning, I will share your comments with my director of housekeeping for her immediate follow up. I can assure you we do clean/vacuum all of our guest rooms prior to renting to a new guest.
Please reach out to me should you need anything at all or decided to return to us. I would appreciate the opportunity to make it up to you and your family.

PS.....glad you loved the Amara Resort in Sedona....one of our newest properties and just a great hotel. They are renovating this May so if you liked it now you will love it even more after the renovation.

Hawthorne, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 March 2014

The hotel itself was lovely. The rooms are well appointed and the staff was wonderful. I was there for business meeting and the facilities were very comfortable and the catering fantastic. A plethora of restaurants in the area that all sounded yummy as well.

Location was not ideal for me for other entertainment. It's right across from the sports complexes so if you're there for a game - perfect. To kill some time, I figured there'd be some shopping close by...2 stores. Nothing else really in the area.

Also, my room was on the side of the hotel above the dance club...so I had the pleasure of the bass beat until about 3am (and I was on the 8th floor). So if you're planning a stay, ask for the side facing the US Airways center.

Room Tip: same side as the US Airways Center
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
jimpalomar1, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
HI Susie Q, thank you for the review. I appreciate all feedback and especially things we can be better at. I will say there are many things to do around CityScape.... besides the sport venues, we have STAND UP Live Comedy Store which attracts national talent, Lucky Strike Bowling, live entertainment at Copper Blues, many great restaurants and not to forget the shopping at Arizona Center about 4 blocks from us. We are also a lightrail ride away from Tempe shopping and restaurants. Thanks for the note about the noise as well as this is something that comes up from time to time in a lively downtown area.
I'm pleased that otherwise you enjoyed our wonderful hotel. I hope you will give us another opportunity to be of service to you.

Sincerely