“Good hotel in an excellent location”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix
Ranked #6 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersSilver level
Parshall, Colorado
“Good hotel in an excellent location”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Check in was easy, room was comfortable. Bed and bathroom were excellent. The hotel offered free cocktails in the evening and coffee in the morning. We were going to an event at US Airways center so the location was perfect. Will return, thanks

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed here for a quick, but special night to celebrate our wedding anniversary. This hotel, like most Kimptons, is offered as pet-friendly. This would require, however, that they made some effort to have natural or artificial grass ON their property. Being told to go around the corner and down the street to a public park which was full of homeless people begging was not a good experience each time our dog needed to go outside. And the one piece of grass was surrounded by police caution tape which made it feel like we were breaking the law! The pet bed in the room was dirty and we didn't allow our dog to use it. We also did not appreciate the baby play pen/crib in our room throughout the stay - didn't add to the ambiance for our romantic anniversary stay. We were shockingly asked about this at check-in and then they said it would be removed. It never was.

It is very noisy for a new hotel - voices and doors slamming in hallway sounded like they were next to the bed. The train honking its horn all night kept us awake - we realize this is not within the hotel's control, but the soundproofing should be sufficient to keep out common city noise better than this.

A minor thing, but we did not appreciate the bell person taking it upon himself to open our trunk and start unloading things at check-in! We had one small bag and the dog kennel in the back seat and that was all we needed. We had shopping in the trunk that was to stay and be secure. I spoke to him about this and asked him who told him to open the trunk - he just stared at me.

On the brighter side, our dinner at the Blue Hound (in hotel) was outstanding! Service and food was exceptional.

1 Thank AbigKnight
jhollister, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
I’m so sorry we didn’t live up to the Kimpton standards that you have come to expect. Obviously not our typical delivery of services as evidenced by our wonderful reviews on line however this was your experience and for that I’m very sorry that we did not make you feel at home with us. We should have removed the crib from your room and never should have placed a dirty dog bed in your room. As for the grassy areas, they are limited in the downtown area which is expected for a hotel located in the middle of office buildings, shopping and restaurants however the area we do recommend for walking your dog was having the grass replaced thus making it appear that we didn’t have any grassy areas near the hotel.
As for noise…..there are times the “sounds of the city” are much louder than normal and if not use to staying in a vibrant downtown area the “sounds” can get to you at times.
I hope you will reconsider staying with us and if you do grant another chance I hope you will reach out to me and allow me to personally select your room so I can ensure you have a quiet, peaceful evening with us.
Thank you for your review and for a chance for me to respond.

Jim Hollister, General Manager
Palomar Phoenix | CityScape
Director of Operations, Arizona/San Diego
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel because we were attending a wedding there. I’ve never stayed at a Kimpton property but I must say they did not disappoint. The hotel is located in the downtown area in a very central location. It’s a swank hotel with good food. Customer service was excellent and all staff members were very helpful. I would stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We needed a room downtown near Chase field for a baseball game, and I used Tripadvisor to find one that had good reviews. We chose the hotel Palomar and it was amazing. The check in staff member, Nicole was so friendly, helpful, hospitable and just a pleasure. The lobby was uber modern, clean and beautiful. Our room exceeded our expectations. It was spotless, modern and beautiful. Also luxurious. The bed was and bedding were very comfy. We missed the free wine hour by 5 minutes but will make it next time. The pool was beautiful and the outdoor bar was nice at night. We got a great deal using a military discount however my brother got just a regular promotion that included free parking and was still a great price! The valet staff was amazing, always quick, and always held the door open for exit and entry. CVS is literally next door in case you need anything as well, so convenient. The US airways center is literally across the street as well, and right next to Chase field. It was less than a 5 minute walk. Lots of bars and restaurants within a mike as well. We will absolutely stay here again!

Stayed August 2014
Nacogdoches, Texas, United States
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I loved this property. The vibe is youthful and prosperous. The room was spacious, squeaky-clean and the design was very cool. The staff were friendly and efficient (and I got vouchers for two free cocktails because it took maybe 90 seconds before my room was ready). The main bar was very nice (the menu was not exactly my bag, but the food was good). The highlight was the rooftop pool bar with DJ. Beautiful views, beautiful people, beautiful weather (actually it was about 100 degrees but it was so dry and breezy it was more than tolerable). Downtown location near the sports arenas and plenty of dining and conveniences. Short cab ride to the airport. I would DEFINITELY be happy to return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Came here for a birthday stay-cation. Requested a room with a view of South Mountain, and the view is amazing. I was born in the Valley, and was thrilled with the view. I see South Mountain every day, and I had never seen it like this before.

The room (a single king) was spacious, modern, and well-appointed. The A/C worked like a charm. It is a beautiful space. I requested an early check-in, and the room was ready around 11AM!

Walking distance to all kinds of restaurants and bars. Excellent location.

The only downer was the dining experience at the Blue Hound. The food was exceptional, yet the service left a lot to be desired. My partner was essentially ignored; she sat at the bar with an empty drink over and over again. I had to flag the bartenders down for her on multiple occasions. We spent a pretty-penny there, and we did not receive commensurate service. As people of color, her invisibility to the staff played into the worst stereotypes of Arizona.

So, stay at the hotel; this is a great property! Avoid the Blue Hound.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of South Mountain. Also, during the summer, the pool turns into an MTV P...
North Canton, Ohio
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I spent the past Sun-Tues at the Kimpton Hotel on business. During my time there, I couldnt have been more pleased with the level of service I was provided.

I forgot my fingernail clippers and some were sent to my room, the room service workers were super frendly and helpful, and lets not forget about the 5pm-6pm free wine hour if you are into that kind of thing.

Comfortable bed, HDMI inputs on the flat screen tv if you want to bring a PS4 or Xbox 1 for the little ones, awesome swimming pool and restraunt available for you. Wifi is available for $12.99 per device, and there is also a hard wire connection.

Within walking distance (5 min): Hardrock Cafe, laundry mat, Golds Gym, bowling Alley, comedy club, Barber shop, CVS pharmecy, Chipotle and a few other eating joints. I highly reccomend the Copper Blues for a drink and excellent live entertainment.

Great stay, would love to use their hotel in the future.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business